Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 ford coe (car hauler project)

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by corvettesander, Dec 25, 2012.

1. olcarguy

olcarguy

Like the wind up key....nice touch...

2. kscarguy

kscarguy

Now that you acted as a "guinea pig" and proved the center grill piece fits, I'll buy one too. I needed to replace my original 41 piece that was dented somewhere over the many years and then poorly straightened. THANKS!!!! ;)

3. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Pretty crazy how (in my opinion) the best 2 builds on the hamb are both from the Netherlands. Between Sander and Farmer 12 I've gotta get over there, there must be something in the air or water that is causing it.

4. Ain't that the truth!

5. ahhh sneaky :rolleyes: well now you know :D i noticed you have a different nose with a lower and shorter grill :confused:

maybe it got to do with that we are below sea level :eek::D

6. did some small things tonight
    cut the power brake/steering hoses to lenght, now i can crimp the couplings.
    [​IMG]

windshield glass and rubber installed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wiper motors back in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kscarguy

kscarguy

Here is another tip. IN case you don't have your wiper arms yet. Bob Drake sells a windshield wiper arm setup that fits the stock Ford wiper shaft, but also uses a standard windshield wiper replacement.

8. Fasttoys1

Fasttoys1
    from China

Hold the phone, modern fuel injection, auto, AC, top shelf all the way and vaccum wipers... what gives? Do the Ford units work a lot beter then the GM units? I've had vaccum units on 2 of my rides and even after a rebuild was not happy with them. By looking at your hose set-up you've done this before, Gates hoses and the corect size crimp on connectors, most newbees would say your crimp connectors are to large when in fact they are correct.
    Keep up the good work.
    Rob

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. i already have a set from bob drake, along with other parts i ordered from him.

the wiper motors are just from Trico, The where stuck, i rebuild them and work perfect i will see how they will hold .

the hydraulic hoses are known terrain for me , i work in this industry :)

rod1 likes this.
  10. kscarguy

kscarguy

Was there a trick to getting the windshield seals installed onto the frames? My frames are painted so are not a slippery as your chromed ones. Did you use soap or silicon?

11. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Question for you Dutchie , are you going to take your truck bye the the fire dept. where u purchased it when you are finished to show them, I'm sure they would shit their pants ! LOL

12. they install pretty easy i always use tire mounting lubricant
    as the rubber will stay in place when it dry's up and wont leave a residue

13. might do.... i have a few friends in the village where it came from
    but probably no one at the fire dept. knows it existance
    the previous owner who had it since its retirement from the fire dept. in 1979

maybe some retired fire men will notice it at a car show/meeting in the neighborhood some day

14. daddio211

daddio211

At least get a picture of it in front of the fire house it came from... for posterity's sake! :)

15. kscarguy

kscarguy

Just winch one of their fire trucks up on the COE...then they will notice you. (Of course, so will the police...oh, you'll be so popular!)

16. ok well when they will arrest me i will say the people from the Hamb made me do it !:D

tonight i got the windshield frames in place and installed the bumper
    also made a battery tray for the (overkill size 170ah) Battery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Where is the bunny beating the drum ? Sent out your package today . Whats going on with the body on lift ? Blue

18. kscarguy

kscarguy

He probably has twelve extra days to spare and will build another complete and gorgeous hotrod.

19. C.G

C.G
    from AL.

The wind up key is goofy, and I love it! I might just copy your idea for our 46 1/2 ton...

20. J C Whitney used to sell those, most ended up on Volkswagen Beetles.

21. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

The key is a cool touch, use to see bigger ones on VW bug's,wonder what one would look like in the crank hole of the my model A ;):D

22. tinwizard

tinwizard
    from Northwest

CorvetteSander,

As a rod builder for over 45 years, I'm in awe of all you have done on your 47. Seems like every photo has at least one idea that makes me think "now why hasn't anyone else thought of that??" I hope you will consider putting together a DVD of the build, and even a video of the day when you fire it up for the first time. Everyone that has seen this build play out would be very interested in such a DVD I'm certain.

One question .... which sort of install tool are you using to put in the rivnuts for the sheet metal panels. There are lots of those rivnuts on your truck, so you clearly have found a tool that will last through all the work, plus make the work go efficiently.

Thanks

23. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

24. 4444Design

4444Design

some real cool details on your truck

lookin' forward to the finishing touches

25. kscarguy

kscarguy

Best wind up key I ever saw was on the back of a t-bucket...it rotated and changed speed as the car moved. I think it was driven off the speedo cable.

26. Hi
    this is the tool i use http://www.masterfix.com/image.asp?id=447 it still holds up i have just 200+ rivet nuts to go on the passenger side :)

27. tonight i have started on the exhaust and welded some pieces together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. racer_dave

racer_dave

Absolutely incredible build. I've been toying with building a COE, but instead of ramp truck mating some type of camper unit to the back so we can stay in it when pulling the racecar to weekend events. This build has given me so many ideas, and I'm so impressed with the quality. Well done.

29. just route one side of the exhaust up to the the stacks
    saturday i will try to finish it up and get the hangers in place too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. got all the exhaust tubes welded and got it painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I installed the dash :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]