Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gauges in WEIRD places? SHOWCAR stuff only!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dreddybear, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I feel like there's not enough threads focusing on the specific oddities that make show rods awesome. I always think something weird like " I wanna see who else put a Fuel gauge in the trunk" so over to the hamb I go and... No fuel gauges in trunks. What gives?!

Weird gauge placement. Excessiveness. You know the deal.

Thanks!

2. I saw a pic some place with gauges in the passenger side kick panel.
    Not excessive but silly I thought.

Then there's another Willys with so much monitoring shit in the dash it looks like the love child of the accessories isle at auto zone and RadioShack.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Good point. 60's and earlier period you guys!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. I got nuthin, but great idea for a thread. I'll be watching with intrest :)

5. silent rick

silent rick

the firewall on bleed's roadster comes to mind. i don't have a pic

when i was going to place the gas tank and battery next to me inside the cockpit, i had plans to mount a voltmeter built-into the battery box. i wasn't going for the showrod look. i more or less wanted a sparse, competition look to the dash. i wanted just a temp and pressure gauge on either side of the speedo. just the real important stuff to pay attention to when looking at the dash.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  6. Like this?:eek: Must be a show car to be this ugly albeit not long for this thread, probably?

Attached Files:

7. How about a Vacuum gauge in the center of the firewall...not weird or radical but very useful.

Murph:cool:

Attached Files:

8. That's neat ! And I love the fuel lines.
    Nice job on who ever did that

9. Besty34

Besty34

not really weird but showcar

Attached Files:

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

On my coupe I'm running gauges on the firewall. Amp, Volts, Vac, and Oil Pressure. I have a matching Fuel Pressure I'm going to make a little chrome/white vinyl cup thingy for so I can mount it up on the fuel rail, which made me think of this thread.

[​IMG]

Little better pic of one side

[​IMG]

Here's Bob's car, you can kinda see the gauge panel. This car has had such a huge influence on me. I miss seeing it everyday.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking along the lines of silent rick.. Fuel gauge where the fuel tank is, AMP where the battery is, trans temp in the floor... etc.. Or just gigantic gorgeous dash boards loaded with
    Eelco's or SW's.

11. Subscribed.... I have a giant hole in the center of the firewall on my 40 that was used for the hot air heater originally.... I've been thinking a gauge might look cool there... if you could only have one gauge under the hood, what would it be?

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Vacuum makes a lot of sense, and doesn't take much in the way of plumbing! Like the '46 above. It just looks cool!

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Found Some fun stuff, although everything seems to be firewall:
    Trendero:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. i like a temperature gauge there , have one on both of my hot rods. if you are working on/tuning a running motor you can keep an eye on the temp.

15. Not to hijack, but did you run the gauge off the dash and firewall from the same sender? My sbc has a place for a sender in both heads, so I suppose each gauge could have there own sender...

16. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Guages on the firewall is IMHO -stupid, serves Absolutely no purpose , put in the dash or in the dash , come on people !

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really? You've never wanted to check vacuum while trouble shooting or tuning your engine? Really? :rolleyes:

18. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Hey DreddyBear, I was going to post that, it is my first hot rod, sold it in Milwaukee Wi back in 1957. Still looking for it. Where did you find the picture, on here?

[​IMG]

B:)B

19. I disagree. It's not just for the cool factor, but constantly running around the drivers door or sticking my head in the window can be cumbersome when trying to dial in a motor.

20. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I stubbed up my oil pressure gauge straight up out of the oil pressure port on the block of my SBC, putting the gauge just over the top of the cowl and in view through the windshield on my T-bucket. FYI- I have no need for any other working gauges. My radiator has a functional motometer so I can also see water temp. I have a vintage SW 160mph speedo, but not connected at this time.

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I found it on here Bob. Always liked how it's in the slanty part of the firewall!

22. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

You could not be more wrong, while I never saw the gauges mounted on the firewall, I think it is a great idea, especially when you are working on the motor, timing, etc and other troubleshooting, you got the gauges right there to help you. and if you mount in both places, on firewall and dash, so much better all-around. Great Idea! :D

23. sedan33

sedan33

I wired these custom gauges as well as the hole car for a friend that only builds very unique show cars.
    [​IMG]

24. x 2

25. Man, I vote for every single car to have a vacuum gauge on the firewall and fuel pressure gauge some place close. Ill never get my way but on a hot rod, you betchyur ass it's pretty handy and cool as hell. I suppose it makes a lot more sense to guys who get their hands dirty doing some tuning on High performance temperamental engines especially if they own it.

Damn vacuum gauge, tach, FP, OP, ECT, on the dash really serve no purpose to a mechanic with his head under the hood.

26. Thanks to this thread, im now going to run a vacum gauge in my firewall, and oil gauge off the engine block. I think 66tintop dosent get it, as this is hot rodding at its coolest. Its touches like these that give your hot rod that something special.

27. Guys that actually WORK on their hot rods seem to have a purpose for them :rolleyes:

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Oil pressure.