Register now to get rid of these ads!

AMBR winner is not a Roadster??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RobertDip, Jan 27, 2014.

1. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Did not make it this year, but, some of my Nor-Cal buddies did and not to happy that the car '35 Chev Phaeton won....not that Wes does not have great cars, but, the trophy, engraved in 1949 clearly states 'America's Most Beautiful Roadster'. Have times changed to let go the 'Ole Tradition'. I guess the Oakland days are gone forever. Robert

2. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Its well built but man if that ain't a glorified 1970's restorod I don't know what is. And to me it looks like a Nazi generals field car from world war two very Bentley like it just doesn't do much for me at all I was pulling for the high school kids myself

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

From the entry guidelines....

"Open to all United States built roadsters, roadster pickups and touring vehicles 1937 and older"

I believe that touring cars have always been allowed.

There was also another phaeton in the running, a 1932 Ford.

I would have voted for it over the Chevy.

Rich

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

The condenders:link

And it looks like they had one get away from them...eeeek.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Considering that I can think of a couple of tourings that have won in the past, I don't see a problem here... Last one was about '76 or so.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

""Have times changed to let go the 'Ole Tradition'. I guess the Oakland days are gone forever.""

I can remember a few AMBR tourings/phaetons back in the old days at Oakland. nothing new here.

7. I really like the Van Auken Deuce roadster as that one says 'hot rod' without screaming but is unique enough to catch the eye. The high school RPU is cool too, but the 'bag-o-snakes' headers are jarring.

The winner looks like it should be at Pebble Beach with a tux-wearing, champagne-drinking announcer extolling it's virtues... sweaty guys in t-shirts not welcome...

8. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

LA Roadsters also allow phaetons (touring cars), roadster pickups and cabriolets.

9. Model T1

Model T1

So it wasn't a 32 Ford! Get over it.

10. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Comments from one of my California buddies....take it as you wish....we don't rule the world, just giving comments.

Sbarbaro built a full-fender '23 tub for Jim Vasser Sr
    in 1974...Vasser won cause there were only 2 cars there
    that were even close to being AMBR...
    Sometime in the '80s, Coddington built a red '33 tub,
    but it was a hiboy...It won by fit/finish/detail points...
    No other since then...

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

I believe this is the only Chevrolet to ever win.

Rich

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If I am not mistaken weren't some past winners not even production cars? I recall seeing some futuristic pieces of crap!

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

Vasser's T

[​IMG]

14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Just checked, 1967 was "The Invader", a dual engined POS and 1969 was "The Alien", looks like a dune buggy! I wouldn't be too pissed at a phaeton!

15. So basically you are bitching about the number of doors? Last I checked the top still drops...

16. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

HAHAHA you make Arno raff , Good one;)

17. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

It was the best car!

18. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="460"><tbody><tr><td width="20%">
    1974​
    </td> <td width="30%">Jim Vasser</td> <td>1914 Ford Touring</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="460"><tbody><tr><td width="20%">
    1976​
    </td> <td width="30%">Bob Sbarbaro</td> <td>1923 Ford Touring</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="460"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#294861" width="20%">
    1985​
    </td> <td bgcolor="#294861" width="30%">Larry & Judi Murray</td> <td bgcolor="#294861">1933 Ford Phaeton</td></tr></tbody></table>

19. fmascioli2@gmail.com

[email protected]
    from CT

So this is a hot rod?

"This is a fiberglass ’34 Chevy Vicky-Phaeton built by Chiarenza, featuring an independent front and rear end, and blown motor with neon red lights—we thought the engine was on fire! The detail seen in the phaeton was fantastic."

Attached Files:

20. At least it didnt win best Rap album!
    J/K, but really it might be a styling issue more than weather it is or isn't a roadster or open car.
    I believe if the Black '32 Phaeton with the floppy windows would have won your buddies "might" be happy or accepting, but I'm not sure why that black '32 Phaeton entered as I've seen it at the show in the past, as is. It definitely has somewhat of cool look to it.
    Its all up to the judges, all the cars there have to be built to a high standard to compete and I would be happy with any one of those and not complain about it actually being a roadster or not. "Happy" as in some gave me the car:) I also believe last year there was a super long Phaeton, but is all a matter of style.
    [​IMG]

21. 39 Ford

39 Ford

These cars are so far from reality that they hold zero interest for me. Why someone would throw vast amounts of $$$$$ down the toilet to impress others is beyond my understanding.
    There are lots of cars on the HAMB that were built for a fraction of the cost of a AMBR Contender that impress me lots more.

22. Nobey

Nobey

I was there on Friday, and when I saw that Chevrolet it stopped me in my tracks.
    That thing is drop dead gorgeous. JMHO.....