Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ....The 2014 AMBR Winner is....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Clark Gable would look good driving that.not a hot rod

2. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Gee, I guess the L.A. Roadster Club has to expel some members.

3. Model T1

Model T1

I wasn't there to compare cars. But I like this roadster !;)

4. Fogger

Fogger

I agree with Don, the paint was perfect and all those judging by the internet/phone camera shots should have been there in person. Do you really think that a top quality build would have an inferior paint match? BTW what parts were from J C Whitney?

5. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

To much 1937 DKW for me.
    [​IMG]

Respect the workmanship thoug.

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Congratulations Wes. The car was outstanding and well presented. I am not a Chevy roadster/phaeton fan but appreciate the quality and design of the car. I saw many roadsters in other buildings that could have competed in the Top Ten and been competitive. As car shows goes, I think the GNRS is the best since it moved from Oakland.I prefer the Hot Rod look but that's just me.

7. I'll add that it's still a better car to win than some of the bling crap from a few years back. Man, those were some dark days

8. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

And as for those that are talking about the Paint on the winning car - I believe you are WRONG. I was there and the paint was NOT different colors on different panels. BUT that Red did pick up light very easily. The side that was towards the outside glass doors looked much lighter during the day time than the other side that was towards the inside of the building. At night both sides looked the same. Flash photography did all kinds of crazy things to the color. Probably shouldn't comment if you weren't there to see it in person and are just looking at crappy internet photos .....[/QUOTE]

I'm color blind but the paint still looked awesome in person!!!

9. Model T1

Model T1

I agree, in some of those pictures the paint did appear different colors. But a man would have to be a fool to actually believe a car at a show such as this, and a winner, would have mismatched paint!:rolleyes:
    And what's wrong with JC Whitney parts? I'm from Illinois and we used a lot of things from that big ole building on the triangle.

10. congrats to the builders and owner. Really like the motor pic. Hope the miss matched paint look is because of angles and lighting.

But on a lighter note....This car looks like it should be flat green with Colonel Clink sitting in the back with Sgt. Shultz driving it.

11. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Nice work, and I appreciate the all the fancy parts, definitely not my taste though.....

12. Squablow

Squablow

I actually liked most of the entries this year, very little fad-ish street rod stuff, and I think this Chevy looks very nice, very classy.

Although I still want to know what the hubcaps are from, they seem out of place, but I could be wrong. Anybody know?

13. fleet-master

fleet-master

Russ Freund's car was built at home by Russ and clubmates in the main as far as I'm aware,and cost a fraction ....it came real close to winning too

14. That comment was referring to the Paul Gommi car with all the "Extra Junk" stuck to it and the million signs necessary to explain what all that stuff was supposed to be.
    a bit tongue in cheek

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'm well aware of the "Take-out T"...but it did not win the AMBR...was it even entered into that category previously...??? And the question was "can little guys even compete anymore." I assume the above is your answer...???

R-

16. Model T1

Model T1

Just a guess. I had a 1933 Chevy Master with smaller but similar looking hubcaps. I'd say those are larger look alikes to simulate the old style of the period that were on the original type wire wheels.

17. The blue car with the SOHC was the car I was talking about in Post #18. The decklid had a dent that was totally obvious and the paint was badly tiger-striped. After I saw the flaws on the decklid, I quit looking and moved on. I felt for the owner, but when you're trying for the big trophy, you had better be perfect.

Favorite AMBR car this year? The red roadster pickup that was built with the help of the high school auto shop students. It wasn't the best quality of all of the contenders, but the storyline was awesome, and the car was very, very nice.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the hardest things to do when building a rod or custom is get the paint colors that pop and look perfect in all forms of light.
    Scroll through Tom Davison's photos and two vehicles really stand out paint wise and those are Lee Pratt's Nomad and the green Elkie next to it. Those are custom car colors and not hot rod colors but they flat draw your attention and look great in photos taken indoors.

The second hardest thing is to take a photo that shows a car at it's best at an indoor car show without packing a load of special equipment. The lighting in a lot of those buildings (and that is all over the country) can be terrible for taking great photos and then you get people bumping into you or walking in front of you or standing in the photo if you don't get there at a slow time.

19. I thought that when i saw the other contender with the side curtains. That one was very Military looking

20. fleet-master

fleet-master

21. slammed

slammed

2014 GNRS has over 16 threads going on right now. How many previous cars that won were really as the original intent? This latest one really does look like a staff car from WWII. BUT it is much closer to the cars of the shows 1st few years.......way back when.

22. madmike3434

madmike3434

One thing that's been bothering me about the ambr winner........when viewed from the side, this car looks really long, maybe 6-9" longer ? A 1934-1935 Chevrolet standard series only has a 107" wheelbase. I own a 35 standard series coupe and it doesn't appear this long and mine has bumpers.

I am wondering if chip foose and troy trepanier actually had the body of this car stretched, or whether its an optical illusion.

I have some pictures of other 34-35 tubs I need to study. The jan 1983 rodders digest had a cover picture of a 35 standard phaeton and inside photo coverage also. maybe its the overall lowness of the car ?

mike lynch--whitby Ontario canada
    35 Chevrolet roadster----shazzbott
    35 Chevrolet 3w coupe---old black

23. Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted. BTW I wasn't bitching, just wondering. The Chev phaeton was actually my pick of the bunch, just wasn't aware phaetons were eligible.

24. Not trying to upset anyones apple cart but can I assume that the 1937 USA built cutoff is directly in relation to Ford USA's last yr for Roadsters?......a mate of mine here in oz has one of the 20 or so Australian built 1940 Ford Roadsters, no wind up windows, it uses side curtains, Ford here in Oz also built a few hundred wind up windowed Convertibles also.......but not his car ......lol......he's had the car for 40yrs or so and we've wondered how it would be viewed in the US........regards, andyd

25. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That's a great idea for a motor - late 50's fuelie..Really clean too

[​IMG]

26. madmike3434

madmike3434

I read somewhere that this original style fuel injection unit has been converted over to much more efficient electronic fuel injection and its really well done and hidden.

mike lynch

27. madmike3434

madmike3434

Well that definitely would cause the show chairman and others to reconsider the 1937 cutoff year. All that should be required is proof ford made these, and in this case its a subsidiary. So what does the windshield or in auzzie..........windscreen , look like, post a picture please.

Just re read the post regarding the rules above......"has to be a USA BUILT pre 37 ", so the USA built would stop it in its tracks.

mike lynch

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

nice car and the best of the bunch, but the wheels sucked ass.

Jeem likes this.
  29. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

first off i am going to say. I do not know any of them.....but looking at what won from here. leads me to believe that the judges should stick with pie contest As it looks like they don't even know what a roadster is. And if this was the best of the bunch, I am glad I did not waste my gas, As looks like it must have been slim pickins.....just my 2 cents

there is another thread with pics of cars from that show......And I think this contest was bought!...sorry I just call it like I see it

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  30. Harms Way

Harms Way

Huh, Son of a gun...... Why not I suppose... Think I'll take a nap now.. :cool: