Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs shoebox stuff up .yikes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

P1010237.jpg P1010238.jpg P1010248.JPG P1010252.JPG we sent our shoebox to a reputable shop to get a new front end . and as it normally goes while you are there you might as well fix this. the car was supplied with front and rear screens installed . we asked them to do a mild chop and replace a very ugly rear panel below rear window . not rusty just full of filler.
    look at the pics . i didnt realise how badly the new work fitted till a couple of months after i pulled the car out and went to fit the rear screen. superb welding and metal finishing but the shape seems to be just guessed. 1 1/4"out. I did ask where the old rear panel was and was told it was dumped .
    went to the wreckers and found a rear panel out of a shoe box and cut the whole rear out to get the correct shape . blasted it and cut out the rust and formed a new panel.
    So check all the time the shop is on the ball and not doing short cuts.
    pic 1 rusty part cut from wreck 2'
    pic 2 faulty repair 3/4"
    pic 3 "handy gap"
    pic 4 "flipping the Bird"
    All remedial work done at "THE SHED" Foxton NZ .Top Work thanks Murray

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. Cooon

Cooon

Oh man that sucks. I bet all the work wasn't cheap. I recently had my front end fiddled with a bit, kept stock suspension just put discs on and lifted the steering and a few other bits and bobs.

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes was spendy. Now we have no come back as the shop had been in business many years , but went under just after we took the car out.

4. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Got any pictures from the outside? And other work done by them to the spinner? What happened to you is my worst nightmare and why I do all my own work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn , sorry ya got hosed :(

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup doing it all myself with guidance from THE SHED panel in Foxton so we have control on outcomes.

7. Sorry to read this, but good that you getting to do your own work on it. Much more satisfying. :) I got screwed by a major hot rod shop outa 20 $, and even though its not alot of money, decided to stay away from em. Doing it yourself is the Kiwi way :D

8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg Repairs we'll under way by THE SHED panel in Foxton and myself as the apprentice. Coming along very nicely , and way more control on the end product than the cheque book high end shop.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  9. 51custom

51custom

This the exact reason I why I learned to do it all myself, for the last 55yrs, still learning and havin' fun at it..very rewarding in the end, and saved some $$$ and heartache along the way...Go for you'll like it....
    Jim

10. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

[QUOTE="Kiwi 4d,
    went to the wreckers and found a rear panel out of a shoe box and cut the whole rear out to get the correct shape . [/QUOTE]

Can't believe you have shoeboxes at the wreckers! :)

11. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Sorry to hear you got tucked at the panel shop. Way to familiar story unfortunately as everyone with a mig now thinks they're a "fabricator".
    I've sussed a capable guy here in Auckland to assist with realigning my coupe. Been checking out his work for a few years and it's solid. But like you I want to do as much as possible myself.

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry just realised we never updated this. Our shoebox has been on the road 12 months now. Its a pleasure to drive now.
    No dont think we will change our avatar to blue. Its like the same axe with a different handle and head now.
    IMG_0010.JPG

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    kiwiandy and tfeverfred like this.