Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A healthy perspective...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. [​IMG]

Cool story. It's amazing what stories you can hear talking with seniors as you cruise around town - those old cars bring up lots of memories. They are also cool for making new memories.

3. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Seems you and your family have been blessed to have such a great start to your new neighbourhood , to make an elderly lady smile is an added bonus,(and be hotrod friendly to boot) I bet your pleased !

4. There is no doubt how fast kids grow up or as in the case of your elderly neighbor how quick they can be gone.

I absolutely love the photo of the kids in the rumble seat!:)

Your a good dad to take time with your children,many parents don't.

Now,,your going to have to tell us what you found hiding in your neighbors garage. HRP

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

Cool story Jay. Looking forward to hearing more.

Me and my 9 yr old daughter at the 2013 Hotrod Hillclimb:

[​IMG]

6. You have rekindled memories in her of a happier time, don't let them become extinguished if in your power. Happy memories are powerful,they can help a person through the darkest hour. The rewards for both her, your children and you could be great in a non-materialistic way. Compassion is something lacking in today's world.

7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

hope you brought her some doughnuts.

8. Great story. Looks like you have found a good neighbor. They are increasingly hard to find nowadays. I think I would invite her over for supper some time, you might have an adopted aunt. An older gentleman moved in next door to me and he loves old cars. We talk a lot about them. Makes for a good neighborhood.

9. Good idea Don. HRP

10. Great story!! My neighbor is a 87 year old lady and she loves my Model A. She calls my car OLD BESSY! She is the best neighbor I ever had.

11. jesse1980

jesse1980

Good neighbors are great. That's honestly part of the reason we still live in our home. Great story and hope the car archeology goes well when she lets you check them out.

12. Yeah, you might even get one running for her to take a ride in.

13. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Cool story, although when I read the part about taking your son out for donuts, I thought you meant out in the street or yard to do some donuts. :) I then imagined that little old lady on her way over to scold you before I read it all. Glad I misinterpreted early on. Bet you cant wait to see what cars await over at her place.

14. syxxstring

syxxstring

Great story, but your teasing us... I want to know what was hidden in her garage.

15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Wow! How inspirational.

16. flamingokid

flamingokid

Ditto.I've got wonderful neighbors,2 of whom are into old cars(and bikes).It gives us a connection.

17. jonspin

jonspin

Great story! I used to be really into motorcycles and build old British bikes but you just can't build the same family memories with them that you can with a hot rod or sled that the whole family can enjoy with you. All my bikes are sold now but I don't really miss them much especially not when me and the girls go cruising. can't wait to see what cars you find in your neighbors garage and and especially the story that goes with them.

[​IMG]

18. "SPOILER ALERT" .... it's the lady ol lady from Pasadena, and we all know what's in her garage!

That's a great story, and some great memories there for all.

19. Invite her to go for a ride! A buddy of mine in New York was able to purchase and restore a REALLY rare muscle car from a guy in his town that everyone said was "unapproachable" and that "no one will ever be able to buy that car while he's alive" by making a deal with the guy to take him for a ride to get a burger for the first ride every spring, and to let him drive it if he wanted to. It was win/win because my friend was able to restore the car & save it, and the guy was happy that his car was being well cared for and that he got to ride in it without spending the money or doing anything himself.

When we bought our current house, we soon adopted the little old lady that lived two doors down from us and she'd return the favor when I'd fix something small in her house with a loaf of home made bread! We started calling her "Grandma" since both my wife and I didn't have any living grandparents, and it was great!

20. mgbtc

mgbtc

Great story. We moved into this house thirty one years ago, the neighbor moved in a couple of months after, a car guy, we had a lot of fun together. He passed about four years ago. His wife still lives there, we are so lucky to have great neighbors. I am now the care taker of his old cars. We miss him a lot.

21. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Great story! Thanks.

This reminds me of something that happened to me this past September. I had my Brookville '32 roadster parked in the street in front of my house since I pulled it out of the garage to warm it up, planning to go for a ride. A little while later I noticed a large car pulled over in front of my house and realize it's the big old Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham from around the corner. When I first noticed the Caddy after moving into the neighborhood I didn't know whose it was but then later noticed an elderly woman lived in the house by herself so it must be her car; but I had never seen her face to face until now. Anyway, she pulled over and was checking out my roadster with a big smile on her face so I went down to talk to her and we exchanged mutual admiration since I've always been a fan of those big Caddy Broughams.

22. autobilly

autobilly

Second that, besides bikes can too easily take you from your family permanently.

23. 9 years later and he's still my best hot rod pal and co-pilot ever...

[​IMG]

24. LAROKE

LAROKE

Geez! A cliffhanger and we have to wait to find out what is in the Lady's garage? Damnation!!

25. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

great story--but I have to tell you that when I read "went out for donuts in the hotrod" I wasn't thinking breakfast pastries :)

26. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Great story!!!! One I just shared with my wife. :)

27. catdad49

catdad49

Can't wait for the rest of the story. Must admit that I wasn't thinking pastries at first, probably not the best way to make new friends. Had a much older neighbor when we first moved to Va. and we had more than a few across the fence conversations. He admired all the work that I was doing on the house and I admired him for all that he was still able to do at 90 plus years. I do miss those talks. Good luck with your neighbor and keep us posted.

28. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

taking time for kids is the best investment jay.
    who knows, maybe your neighbor has a 36 coupe. like the other one that got away!

-davis

29. raymay

raymay

Great story but like everyone else, what is in your neighbors garage?

Our cars were always a shared family thing. Some I even designed and built to accommodate our family needs. When our kids got old enough they drove them. My Son who is a GM Engineer still has the passion that we both share. My Daughter and Son-in-law gave me 3 awesome Grandsons who love to go "cruisin with Pop". Their Mom and Dad also like to take one of the cars from time to time. My Nieces and Nephews think the cars are cool and it is a big treat when Uncle Ray takes them for a ride.
    No regrets. As a Grandfather I am getting to do it all over again and let me tell you, it is great. Certainly one of the better things you can get your kids involved in.

Attached Files:

30. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Good stuff. Nice to read all the stories about good neighbours instead of the bitching about the prick next door stories.

Great picture of the kids in the rumble seat.