Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Intakes and exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

not having problemes with my frost plugs, but only on the road this spring, i think i will get a universal expantion plug to put in my carry on parts bin in case i have a probleme on the road. do you 's kno the size off hand?

2. Willys392

Willys392

my plugs were installed using PC-7 epoxy. This is the second plug to let go. First one was one my 331. Came around a corner and then stood on it and all of a sudden the car was filled with steam (I thought it was smoke at first). Blew out the drivers side rear plug. Now after a similar run the front plug on the passenger side let go on my 392. I wish I was one of the lucky ones that it never happens to but after 2 plugs let go on 2 different engines, I'm paranoid now. That's why I'm going with the HH mechanicla for my own piece of mind.

3. How much had you dimpled the center of the plug?

4. Willys392

Willys392

that's just it, I had a guy biuld mine who had been building these engines for the past 25 years or so. I guess you never know how good the installation is til it happens...

5. Willys392

Willys392

to get back on track, has anyone seen the 3 deuce intake that Vintage Speed is coming out with, or know when its coming out. I've been looking for one. How about a cross ram intake, I remember seeing one before or maybe I was dreaming.

6. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Don't hold your breath for the Vintage Speed intake. Start at page one of this section, and you will find more than enough hemi intake info.

7. Willys392

Willys392

not a big fan of the u-fab intakes.

8. George

George

On the HH site they posted in the classified that they are dropping the 6X2 Chr & 4X2 Dodge twin log intakes, if you've been thinking of getting one, nows probably the time.

9. Well I'm more than reasonably certain that manifold is Pre belt drive and for Chain drive setups Like this Howard's chain drive system.

Attached Files:

10. Besty34

Besty34

I have rebuilt the 341 DeSoto engine for my 34 and got lucky and picked a factory dual quad inlet and a pair of AFB's , then I got thinking about a pair of cross ram adapters and picked up a pair , then I got thinking about using four Strombergs instead of the AFB's but instead of them running across the engine I am going to have them in line with the cylinders . What I'm wondering is as anyone else tried this and what do you think are my chances of getting this streetable ?

11. Besty34

Besty34

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381682037.508019.jpg
    Here's a pic

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. George

George

That looks like a cluster, maybe a twin log 4X2 cross ram or single log would be better, but this probably should be in a seperate Thread.

13. Gullwing

Gullwing

[​IMG]

I have a problem with hood clearance so I couldn't use a U-Fab. This is the manifold I made for my 345 Desoto

14. Besty34

Besty34

heres where I am with my cross-ram effort - if this is in the wrong thread please delete or move at will

Attached Files:

15. George

George

Really isn't a crossram. A crossram would have the right side carbs feeding the left bank & vice versa, not going into a common plenum. This is just what I'd call wiard, adaptors for putting 4 2 bls on a dual quad intake. Never been too impressed with such things except one guy who used 2bl to 1 bl adaptors to get a 2X2 set up on a 2X1 intake. Wonder how much of a drop in power vs the 2 4 bls you'll get.

16. Besty34

Besty34

I've got a pair of AFB's when I get it up on the dyno I will be able to compare , as for weird I love weird

17. charlieb66

charlieb66

Besty34, all I can say is that setup looks impressive. Better plan on setting the motor low in the frame, or you will never see where you are going. OBYW a little tape will keep the overspray down.

18. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I agree, that is not a crossram. It's paying a price - probably 20 HP or more - to be weird.

19. Besty34

Besty34

Thanks - it will be painted , polished and plated before it goes in the car . I can live with losing twenty horse power but we will see . It's not as high as a blower .

20. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I have a Desoto Edelbrock DS495 and it is the only one I have ever seen. It is also in great shape. Looking at TR's pics that one maybe a DS495 also. It looks like it may read DS495 to me. I can't find any info or pics on the internet about this thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Gotta love them rare birds, right?
    It be nice if edelbrock had a historian on staff.

22. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I'm just glad I found one. I was told it was one of the earliest aftermarket 276/291 intakes done before the 291 came out with the 4barrel intake on 10% of their cars.

It would make sense for Edelbrock to have at least one historian working for them. I know quite a few Hambers that wouldn't mind that job.

23. BashingTin

BashingTin

I could be seeing this wrong, but it appears this is a dual plane with 6 intake runners on top and two opposing on the lower level. Different! ;)

24. If I wanted to find out more about this manifold, what should I be looking for ?
    It appears to be a 2x4 manifold.
    It appears to be dry
    It appears to have some type of coolant log manifold just on top of the valve cover. I'm finding this interesting.

Attached Files:

25. George

George

Think I've seen this before. Maybe for the Pan Americana Road Race in Mexico by Chrysler before they released wet intakes for the '54 models.

26. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That is a Bohnalite intake.

Attached Files:

27. I don't think it's this one. Btw its on that auction site for 2gs
    But hell it might be ?
    What's it look like on the car with hoses and complete?

I read two sentences on the entire internet about the Big Dodge trucks having 2 4s
    That's all I can find and not sure if this is it or not.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  28. George

George

Trucks had 2X1, or a 2 bl. Some marine intakes were 2X4, but haven't seen one.

29. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres 2 x 1's was told off a truck.

Attached Files:

30. I need an intake for a low deck Desoto,,,aluminum,,,,.
    I want to make a blower intake.
    My idea is to take an aftermarket intake and mill the top to weld an adaptor plate to it to mount the blower (4-71).
    I think I saw TRWaters with an intake that had been modified for another project and it was for sale some time ago,,I am sure it is gone by now.

Any one have any ideas?

Tommy