Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this a good oil filter option for flathead?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 37slantback, Jan 26, 2014.

1. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't know what "drilled for the 95% filtering" means, but looking at the Mac's unit, it appears to me to be just a handier to use spin on filter element in place of the messier cartridge type that was originally used. The original were 'by-pass' type as you most likely know, and I don't see where this will improve that fact without further mods. A by-pass type only filters a small fraction of the oil at any given time.

About five years ago I built a '53 Merc and used a full flow kit that consisted of a modified oil pump, through the pan wall fitting, hoses and a filter mount that used a spin on. The BIG difference is direct flow of ALL oil through the filter before being routed back into the engine oil galleries. Though a bit more labor intensive to install, I thought the benefit was worth both the cost and effort. I was very satisfied with the results.

3. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Andy

Andy

It looks like a modernized stock type set up. The lines shown are too small for a full flow system. They look like the 1/4" stock lines. I run 1/2" ID lines which are maybe 5/8 OD.
    I also cringe whenever I see a Fram filter. They are junk. I bought a filter mount from Speedway and mounted on a bracket using manifold bolts. My 59 does not have bosses on the head. The hoses and fittings all came from Speedway. Race car stuff.

5. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, thanks. I wondered about the line size as well.

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The above spin on filter kit simply replaces the stock low flow cartridge filter, and is not for a full flow system like your 95%. If you had opened the instructions, you would see the included.050” metering orifice fitting just like the one Ford used on the stock filter. :)

7. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. The instructions set off the warning bells so I wanted to get more info.

8. Andy

Andy

It is a pretty set up. It needs the fittings changed and the passages maybe opened up. Might be fine with some work but not as it sits.
    On the other hand, I don't have $125 in my whole rig including a NAPA filter

9. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Andy. Thats what I love about this forum. You never know when something may or may not work depending on others experiences and sometimes minor mods. There are other options. I was waiting for some body filler to setup so I was going through my checklist of items.

10. Andy

Andy

-
    Some how my pic was deleted. Here it is again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  11. neb-rivet

neb-rivet
    from Nebraska

For full flow oil filtering check out Reds Headers. They have plans to drill as shown and also additional drilling and oil an oil tube to feed the rear main with pressure after the filter. It takes guts to drill where they show and to plug the original rear main bearing feed but it works for full flow without a modified oil pump and without the oil line through the oil pan.

12. 56shoebox

56shoebox

On that set up it looks to me as if the inlet/outlet may face the firewall and not allow enough clearance for elbows, hoses, etc.