Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Ford shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ascustoms, Jan 26, 2014.

1. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Apparently I keep putting my project in the wrong place because it keeps getting deleted. I'm building a 1950 Ford shoebox. Nothing super crazy, just more of an ability statement for me, and a bad as fun ride. I'm a ways into the. Project already and love the way it's going. To start it was a car that was. Given to me by a friend. He had bought it just for small parts, like trim. Was he stripped it, it was more of an eye sore for him.
    1116096_10152168995444992_894589050_o.jpg

1274441_10152168997679992_563677241_o.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Since getting it home I have been working on it as much as I can. And with a full time job two kids and a wife... it's not much. I have worked on stripping the bidy, pulled the original flat head head, and cut out all the old nasty metal.

1239221_10152187373969992_1345818013_o.jpg

1398098_10152384003539992_557261370_o.jpg

1401352_10152384003794992_538629883_o.jpg

856886_10152384004009992_1435282998_o.jpg

1421204_10152384004284992_104702998_o.jpg

3. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

I have done a lot oof reading on the vehicles and everyone says that the original steering just sucks. Like a lot of vehicles it has it flaws. But being that I don't have a ton of money, so I can't afford a full tube chassis. I found an article on here that talked about changing the front ends. One guy used a Camaro front sub frame. Just so happens I had one here at the shop that already had a nice front discuss brake conversion also.

Attached Files:

4. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Once I got the frame figured out.... not finished but figured out. I have to pull the body off in order to finish. But once I was done with that, I wanted to start messing with some patch work... However once I did that I also started to read about chopping the top. I have never chopped a top before so I was very interested. And before fully finishing my first patch panel on my fender I already started chopping.
    1390748648890.jpg 1390748667867.jpg 1390748735140.jpg 1390748756110.jpg 1390748779441.jpg

5. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Alright I got the roof chopped off and already starting to weld back on. It is a little tough just figuring out The cutting marks. I have seen a few guys do the b pillar with an angle or they keep it straight. And these both look really good, don't get me wrong. I really like the thought of a nice clean hard top, and with working windows still!!

Attached Files:

6. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

I would like to welcome to the hotrod world my new baby boy. Ethan born early at 28 weeks. 2lbs 14.5inches

And he already sleeps like his daddy.

Attached Files:

7. mr50s

mr50s

Hey ascustoms,

My congratulations and best wishes to you and your family with the birth of your fine baby boy!! You'll be privileged to introduce him to all that is still wonderful in this big new world of his and yours, and to have a front-row seat as you witness the miracle of growth during this lifetime venture.

I'm on the other end of life now and working on a Shoebox Ford of my own, but I've found that doing this relates in some ways to raising a child. In both, you are helping to create something in your own image, adding things along the way to help make it/him better, loving both the process and the result, correcting mistakes as they arise, and enjoying the praise whenever things turn out well. Whether it's kids or cars, it's still worth the journey, and best of luck always!!

mr50s

8. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Wow I don't really know what to say.... nicely said and thank you.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Just finished working on the car for a little bit. Now I have to work on customers stuff. I'm working on cutting the pinch weld out around the window opening that holds the chrome trim. Plan is that when the window is up the door will still be able to open and close. Now just to figure out how to finish it at the ends, and work the window track in...

Attached Files:

10. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Congratulations on Ethan!

11. fryguy

fryguy

Congrats on both the car and the boy! Both will be rewarding in their own ways.

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Keep up the good work on the car , and congrats on the little one !

13. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Thank you everyone. I looking forward to watching and helping both of them develop. Both have a ways to go but will be here for us all to enjoy for years to come. As I continue to build this car, if anyone sees anything that I do wrong or that I haven't done but could help me on my way... please, please speak up! This is my first shoebox, so the more information I get the better.

14. clifforddean

clifforddean

Congratulations and good start.

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Congrats on the son!
    That looks like a bit different way to build a car than i used to see.Usually people make floors and rockers first and after that the chopping.Its just easier to keep doors aligned by that way.But i guess that way will work too.Just watch the doors.Keep it up!

16. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

I'm in for the progress!

17. Arctic_Ragtop

Arctic_Ragtop

Congrats on Ethan!

The shoebox looks awesome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

The only reason I didn't do the rockers and floor first is because I'm a bigger guy at 6'6" so I wanted to make sure I have as much room as I can. I was running the possibility of dropping the body over the frame even more so it sits a little lower. Head room for me is a huge thing.

19. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

I've got everything tied together really good and had no movement once I made the cutts.

20. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

I've been jumping around a little bit lately, and decided today I need to work on the top a little bit more. So I jumped into doing the rear window... This might be the hardest part of this chop! Ignore the mess around the shop

Attached Files:

21. Long way to go but it looks like a good start. There's a shoebox group in the social groups, lots of info if you need it.

Congrats on the new baby, hope the little guy's doing well. One of the guys in our club was born a couple months early too... now he's 6'5" 340lbs!

22. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Thanks big a I appreciate it. I'll have to check that out for sure. Hopefully my son doesn't get that big. Lol

23. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

I got exactly an hour today to work on my car before I went to see my son at the hospital. So for that hour I worked on making a template for around my rear window.

Attached Files:

24. GBMWorks

GBMWorks

Looking good. You're making me think that I should have kept the car!

25. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Lol to late now phil. It's mine to keep. Thanks

26. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Alright today I was able to do a little more. I took the template and made it into steel and shaped it on the English wheel. Turning out out great but got a little more work with the hammer and dolly, and even the stud gun.

Attached Files:

27. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

That has a nice profile to it! I'm digging this build!

28. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Mr. Dickies, thank you so much, I've been really nervous about putting this build on the hamb. It's my first shoebox build I have ever done. Meaning first chop and a lot of other first. I usually work on nothing but muscle cars at work so to do the car I really want and to have people like it... huge bonus.

29. congrats bro to you and your family, i have twin girls and they were born premature as well, they are 4 going on 5 and little terrors, rock on and cheers, like the chop on the box.i have a shoebox as well

30. ascustoms

ascustoms
    from michigan

Thanks red. I've got a two year old also and he is insane. But it to were even though he is a devil he is also a blast because we can play and wrestle together