Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Black interiors - Were there any back in the day?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Strittan, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

... or did they not become popular until the late 60's?

Show pictures if you got any!

/Patrik

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Yes in this 51 Lincoln Cosmo. Stock interior with a custom top made in the late 50's

Attached Files:

3. I did a black Naugahyde interior in my '29 Tudor A, built in '63. Black interiors were getting popular in NorCal by then. Probably popular earlier in SoCal.

4. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

5. jazz1

jazz1

I was shown a black naughahide material by a upholstery shop a few years ago and the product was heat reflective,,as in the material does not get hot in the sun and burn your ass. Something you may want to look into if you go black.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Do the Model T's that left the factory 1909-27 count? Ford made 15 Million of them. Bob :)

7. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

No, I should've mentioned in the first post that I meant custom interiors. I thought people would get it as I posted in the "Traditional Customs" section.

Thanks for the tip! I haven't decided yet though. I love white tuck n' roll but since the car has very bright colours (yellow and white) I'm thinking black would perhaps look good. But at the same time I want it to be as period correct as possible (late 50's - early 60's mild custom) which is why I started this thread.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  8. My understanding of it, is that black became the popular trim color in the mid 60s. White was the prevailing trim color before then (to show off how clean everything is). The metallics and pearl trim colors were popular in the early 1960s

9. my father use to do upholstery, and black was pretty relevant...I stripped alota car seats as a lad

10. Milner had black IIRC.

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Milner is not traditional custom...lets keep it to the forum we are in. Thanks

12. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I'm sure that there were plenty of guys doing black upholstery back in the day.

This isnt a car from back in the day, but it shows how good a black interior can look in a traditional custom....

[​IMG]

in this car.

[​IMG]

13. fatkoop

fatkoop

I had an all black Naugahyde interior put in my '47 Ford tudor in '66. Done in New Bedford, Ma. for $300. I still have the receipt.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All black naugahide front, sides, & rumble seat. In 1968.

Attached Files:

15. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Wow, that looks great indeed!

16. moffetkustoms

moffetkustoms
    from granby, mo

In my opinion, the pearl white interiors of the time were awsome! That's what I plan to put in my 50 ply custom. Tuck and roll, baby! :)

17. luke13

luke13

is naughahide like vinyl?

18. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Naugahyde is vinyl. It is a brand name. Was one of the first produced on mass scale. Thanks to great marketing, name became synonymous with vinyl.

19. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

So what!!

20. Modern pearls are just top coatings. Makes the interior really tricky to clean. I wouldn't trade my pearl white tuck an roll for anything though

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  21. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

My 50 Ford Sedan came with a black pleated interior when I got it and I found some papers stuck under the springs, maybe to help the support and they were dated 1963.

Attached Files:

22. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

My 57 Chev. which I bought in 1961 had black tuck and roll, it was very popular. I took it to T.J. and had it redone. They did a great job. Car was stolen by a “friend” in 64 who stripped it . The Grim Reaper settled the score before I could.

23. atomickustom

atomickustom

Based on all the old mags and books I've read, there were always some kustoms with black interiors but they really hit popularity in the late 1950s. If that's your target era you are golden.

On a side note, I think people on here often confuse "correct" with "popular at that time." The variety and variation of customs in the '50s was amazing & we have narrowed it way, way down to just a couple popular styles.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  24. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

that's early for sure. Looks like black to me...

Attached Files:

25. 296ardun

296ardun

My '30 roadster, no pictures, sold it decades ago...but the above post warning about the heat is true, burned my butt many times when I left the top off...still, it is cool and doesn't get stained...

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Earl and Marcia Jones, Omaha Nebraska. I thought I reconized the steering Wheel on this one. Can you picture any other color than black for a guy on weekend pass from the Marines crusing around in his Chevy smoking a couple packs of cigarettes..

27. verde742

verde742

the bigger the car the more Nauga's you will have to trap, the Hyde's of a Nauga are really not very big. Fortunately they come in many colors.

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Naugahyde was made by the Uniroyal Corporation. To help promote sales, they made Pillows made out of Naugahyde (that kind of looked like an owl) that was supposed to be a Naugie, or a Nauga.

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

In my neck of the woods almost everybody had black upholstery back then. Oxblood was an exotic color back then. Only the show cars had white interiors.

30. T-birds and Corvettes had all black interiors in '58 and 59 respectively, so either customizers were influencing Detroit, or Detroit influenced customizers by then.