Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Reproduction 2" Riley Carbs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks for the kind words, and interest fellas. I'll try to answer everyones questions here in one post as opposed to "Quote click post" method that will just eat up space..

TNA- Those originals look great! Nice pair there. YES, we do offer parts and complete re-build kits. Call Zakira's for pricing. We also will rebuild your Carbs if you'd prefer that.. ALL original Riley Carbs are stamped and numbered so it's not hard to keep track of them and make sure you get YOUR original set back.

Ago- The RILEY's are just incredibly simple and easy to tune. It's almost like they were the original platform that a lot of other manufactures copied and added adjustments and options to COMPLICATING them. Very few moving parts in Rileys make them easy to operate, clean and tune. Another aspect of "new RILEY's being offered exciting people" is that during the 40's and 50's almost EVERY Offy, and most in-line race engines on short tracks and Indianapolis ran them. Restorers being the PICKY lot they are have been forced to run other similar carbs like Flynn, Winfields, or S.U.'s... While similar, they are easy to spot in photo's as the "Wrong carbs" for the car. Another neat thing is Riley himself history.. HE was a neat guy that invented and made so many cool things!

Mac the Yankee- Not sure, but I imagine the price will be close. Same amount of work and machining.

SUHRsc- Both The 2" or 1.5" can be ran on Gas or Alky. The sizing is the main throat. Measure the I.D. right there where the air cleaners bolt on.. it will be 2" or 1.5".

OFFY 220- I am currently running TWO 2" Riley's on a 220 Offy in the Kurtis KK2000 with an original Offenhouser Intake. Check out pics below.. I think we have the wood patterns for the 220 Intake!! but we have not had any castings made yet. I won't be back in the Pattern building till Monday.. If you'd like to possibly have an original made off the correct patterns, message me on Monday. I agree that the S.U.'s are a great carb, but it's always "cooler" to run what it had back in the day!

Seatex- $1700 EACH. Yes, it's a steep price, but it's about the same as the ORIGINAL 2" Rileys are selling for if you can find a pair. After searching for 3 months (..and we know how to find rare stuff!!) we gave $3000 for my original pair. We have not seen anymore 2" come up for sale since then. (2 years ago). 1.5" appear on E-bay occasionally and bring stout prices as well.

Truckjim- Same thing but simpler. I'll post an exploded view Monday.

Kursplat- Great photo! Those are FOUR 1.5" Rileys on that bike. Great info thread as well.

Hope this helps.
    I'm here for any questions always.

Thanks,
    J Shaw

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

More photo's of the NEW 2" Rileys on a 220 Offy with an original Offenhouser Intake.

The last couple are Two new ones, and my two originals.

J Shaw

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  3. Ted H

Ted H

Wow! Haven't seen a thread take off like this in years!! Thanks, Ryan for bringing this to our attention.

Josh,
    The carbs look great! Now lets see a manifold to fit four of them to a Ford flathead V8 !

Ted

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

tease...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Joshua,
    Have you done a manifold for the 4-port head? I have a roadster project on the back burner current manifold is for 97's would love to convert it over to all Riley.
    ---Dean

Attached Files:

6. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Josh is the Man!! Glad there are people like him and his group that can reproduce vintage parts like this. He is very talented. Glad I was able to meet him and support his show a couple weeks ago in Cincinatti. I'm sure these carbs are worth the money. Thanks for sharing the post Ryan.

7. flyin-t

flyin-t

My buddy has one of these Riley outboards, came with a 2" carb on it.
    [​IMG]

Joshua, I'm curious if you've ever spoken to Dan Iandola, author of the book on Riley.

8. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

[QUOTE ...similar carbs like Flynn, Winfields, or S.U.'s... While similar, they are easy to spot in photo's as the "Wrong carbs" for the car. J Shaw[/QUOTE]

Josh...is there any info or photos of the side drafts Dick Simonek made, and I presume Ted Horn and possibly some others ran, in the Zakira library?

Saw a pair I couldn't afford at a sale in the mid 90's. Have never seen anymore or any info on them.

Anyone have knowledge or pictures?

Hope this is not de-railing the main subject of this thread but it is so related that I think it's appropriate.

Also my understanding is that the Winfields didn't do well on delivering enough alcohol in the turns giving rise to the Riley's, Flynn's, Simonek's, and perhaps others. Fact or fiction?

Maybe some one with knowledge could start a new thread or lead us to something that might exist.

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Not yet.. But all I really need is the "Foot print" pattern of the head face.. a good paper "rubbing" and pics with measurements will do. We can make you a Log style intake.

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

11. banjorear

banjorear

Dang, those are cool. Love it and can appreciate the time and effort it must have taken to get these done.

Where there really were only 200 sets made? I thought the Riley carbs were the ones Miller was making and is what keep his race car build a float. Did Miller buy the Riley carb patent and then use them for his own carbs?

I can be totally confusing the story/history, but regardless, cool as hell and love it!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

MILLER and his carbs were before all this. (as I understand it)--> MILLER and WINFIELD were partners.. Their Carbs were a huge success in the teens and 20's. Around the early 20's MILLER wanted to focus more on Racing engines, and complete cars.. Winfield was happy just making Carbs so they split. Miller kept making Carbs all through the 20's and 30's..

I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

Thanks,

J Shaw

13. pumpman

pumpman

Your work is masterful and the eye to original detail most impressive. I was lucky enough to find two Winfields for my flatty but now you have me thinking and as my wife says "that's a bad thing". Are you going to manufacture a large batch or just per orders?

Thanks Ryan for making us aware of this.

14. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Joshua, being a foundry man. you did good. It would be a shame to polish your castings.
    Regards
    Greg Hornbostel

15. Offy 220

Offy 220

Josh,

Thanks for posting the pics. I would assume finding an Offy 220 manifold would be difficult, if not impossible. I will message you the beginning of the week and possibly get started on a manifold and two Riley carbs. Do you have linkage fabricated for the carbs also?

Offy 220

16. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

At the '06 Miller Meet somebody had a table set up with a pile of carbs.

Attached Files:

17. I had the same thought as well.

18. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

My grandfather raced motorcycles for Indian back in the day and he owned a scout that had a pair of these. The only thing left of the bike is part of one carb after a crash. I saw it at my dad's place sitting on the bookshelf about 10 years ago, haven't seen it since.

This post brought back some cool memory's, need to head to dad's place and look around now.

Cliff Ramsdell

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

what is the cfm

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

We are currently casting 25 at a time, but if orders keep coming in, we will bump that number. We have 8 complete castings here right now that are not claimed, and could be ready in 3-4 weeks.

Our casting turn around on ALUMINUM parts is pretty fast.

Thanks!

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

We casted all the armatures, and throttle plate stops needed to operate the carbs together. Yes, we offer all the connecting Linkage as well.

Thanks!

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

The cfm is set for each engines application with the Inserted Venturi. The cfm changes Depending on fuel type, Jet size, and number of carbs in conjunction with the engines number of cylinders and c.i.. We have a MASTER CHART we use to determine this..

All we need from the customer is:
    Cubic Inch
    Fuel type
    Number of cylinders
    Intake style

Thanks! Good question.

J Shaw

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  23. Wow, great work, very tempting to get 2 for my Miller Banger.... need to save some $$$ first

24. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Guys , here are some of mine and the excerpts from the George Riley book.
    Every model, sizing and jetting is in that book.
    The rack and pinions are really cool.
    As you nail it , the fuel level naturally drops and the rack and pinion raises the float level via a face cam type operation.
    "Hot as Butter"
    I would recommend Josh's remakes to anybody who has never used these carbs, they are certainly easy to tune and give great top end.
    Not brilliant on the street as they have no acceleration well or pump but a sympathetic shoe can get the most out of them
    cheers Greg

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Okie Pete like this.
  25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks Trentesept! Those are good looking EARLY carbs!

Yes, the different models are cool to read about in the book.

J Shaw

26. Ohio manufacturing...hell yeah!

27. Offy 220

Offy 220

Josh, I received the two Riley carbs I ordered from your shop today. All I can say is that the workmanship is First Class! The 220 Offy intake manifold is being cast and should be done in a few weeks. Thanks again!

28. John Black

John Black

I recall talk of the late Bob McKinney making some of the Riley 2" carbs a few years before he passed on. Was in Secrets Magazine I think.