Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Mercury build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Danger, Jan 7, 2014.

1. fleetwood39

fleetwood39

I have been around your new Merc quite a few times over the years. It was a pretty good runner at one point. I helped with the brakes. (not successfully) It was always interesting to be around a stocker for a change. I believe it had some front end parts donated off of a Merc I owned at one point. It now belongs to and was built by Scott49Mercury here in Idaho Falls. I might have some old photos of your new Merc. PM me if you are interested. Congratulations!

2. desotot

desotot

Ahhh! it runs, wind in your hair, window rolled down, eldow resting out the window, gotta be a pharoah at last. congrats.

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

4. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

5. Danger

Danger

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I just got bare steel, and used VHT 2000 degree paint.
    I have a video of mine running with just the headers on... Flames are shooting out the headers. If you paint them like me, you'll need very high temp paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8e_d3LMy-c

7. Nice

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have headers from Red's. One with the coating, one without. I like the coating. Easy to keep clean. I have a pair of headers on the shelf to go on my Mercury and they are coated.

Neal

9. The Doddfather

The Doddfather
    from Va

sounds like a cool build. I'm doing something similar to my 50 merc. Matt Townsend is building it and we went with a mild hardtop chop and i put the door handles, trunk emblem etc back on it. We did a custom grill but i left the front and rear bumpers stock

Attached Files:

10. Danger

Danger

Very nice! What are you doing for suspension? I wanting to do a static drop out back and leave the front alone.

FYI- going with the Reds with coating and duel out the back no mufflers. Should be done by next week hopefully. Still need to get a air cleaner, hopefully that won't be to hard to find, running the original holly.

11. You will be so happy with the sound! I still get people asking how I got that sound. I did have to cut a whole through the frame on drivers side to run it back. If you want pictures I can provide.

12. Danger

Danger

It already has duel exhaust. Thanks though!

13. Did it have headers already? Or was it just the manifold split into 2 in the back?

14. Danger

Danger

Looks like stock manifolds. Duel all the way from header out.

15. The Doddfather

The Doddfather
    from Va

I did a ford 9 inch rear and used blocks in the rear, its still not at the correct height, it will go lower. i used the stock front end and added a F100 box and disc brakes. I did use mufflers out the rear and just did a 350 700r trans. mine is a basic build, basically looks stock except for the chop and grill. i'm leaving the stock headlight trim etc

16. Danger

Danger

Sound nice any pictures!

FYI- Reds doesn't have the headers in stock and have no idea when they will. Called Tatom and they don't make them anymore but said to go with Sanderson. Ordered them and should be here by the end of next week.

17. The Doddfather

The Doddfather
    from Va

craigs50 107.jpg

craigs50 120.jpg

craigs50 130.jpg

here are some of the frame and one with the engine. i went with sanderson headers in mine too. i have a zz4 350 in my merc

18. Danger

Danger

Going to start the rust repair this week. Been staring at this merc for awhile now and I love the chop. I'm thinking 2-2.5 chop? Anybody have info on the car? I'm 6'4 so a mild chop sound good to me. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390854560.010068.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Lono

Lono

Subscribed and watching.
    I'll drag mine home tomorrow and wont be starting until spring but busy building in my head already.

I'm planning blocks in the back rather than bags and Aerostar springs up front.
    Check out the Aerostar spring thread here. I've done 3 57 Fords and 1 50 Merc w/ a flathead so far... love them. Good luck and enjoy!

20. desotot

desotot

Mine is about 2 3/4" chop, kind of mild but safe.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. Danger

Danger

Nice! Let me know when you get a build thread started. I bought the Jamco 4 inch de-arched leaf springs. Probably go with Aerostar springs up front too.

22. Danger

Danger

Car looks amazing! I followed your thread. I'm waist deep in rust repair right now but once that's done I'll have to figure out how much I'm chopping. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391476414.788862.jpg

23. Danger

Danger

Got all the rust repair on one side, now onto the other side. Bought the Sherman rockers. inner rockers I got off ebay. Everything fit pretty good a little work on the outer rockers to get them to fit but it wasn't to bad. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393015407.364374.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393015415.904985.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393015434.338208.jpg

24. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

25. navyboy

navyboy

Looking good.

26. Looking really good. All these cars need sheet metal work. Mine already had rockers, but got a replacement hood, trunk lid and the tail pan (below the trunk lid) had to be completely remade.

Doddfather, nice car mang. "just a hardtop" heheh. Tons of work there. TONS. I love it.

27. Danger

Danger

No more rust issues! Getting started on the suspension next week also going to try and touch up the patch panels with some green. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393679332.614122.jpg

28. Danger

Danger

Any body know where I can get a glove box lock for this car? Looked all over the internet and tried a ford one but wouldn't work. Thanks

29. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

30. Danger

Danger