Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abriel68, Jan 24, 2014.

1. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Hello everyone,
    I bought a 57 chevy truck from my dads friend. Itd been sitting in a field for 20+ years. So as I was purchasing the truck the guy was moving to idaho and in the process he lost the title and couldn't find it. Now I have no means of contacting him. The truck does have a vin number and it isnt stolen. How do I go about getting a new title? Thank you for any tips.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Go to your DMV and ask them what you have to do.

3. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Just made an appointment for monday morning.

4. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

Apply for a lost title and go from there. No one is going to authenticate signatures.

5. txturbo

txturbo

Cancel that appointment. Use a title service. Way less headache. The DMV will have you doing all kinds of unnecessary things. Trust me.....I buy and sell cars all the time with all kinds of wierd title issues and in different states. I've done two so far this year.The title service knows the DMV people by first name because they are in there everyday doing title stuff. They are in and out because they have everything they need the first time and know all the little tricks to get it done without a lot of hassle. They know what to say....and most important....what not to say.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. txturbo

txturbo

Only the registered owner can apply for a lost title and in Texas they ask to see that persons drivers license/ID.

7. probably call the state troopers fr some recommendations or insight at what are some options

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Most states you will need a bill or sale for an antique and it will not have to be from the orginal title holder. And a VIN inspection.

9. jesse1980

jesse1980

Get a bill of sale from Georgia. They didn't have titles until 1984. The dmv will give you a title no problem.

10. txturbo

txturbo

If he is in CA like I think he is....an out of state fee will get added....which last time I was in CA it was $300....probably more now.

11. abriel68

abriel68
    from merced

Yup im in california. Im gna look into the advice given. Ill ask my brother he's a chp. Ill look into the title service company. Thanks everyone.