Register now to get rid of these ads!

I scored a 1963 pontiac 215 and th180 trans!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turboroadster, Jan 23, 2014.

1. edit:
    not pontiac, prolly buick

its a super clean 1963 all aluminum 215 with the transmission appears to be aluminum automatic th-180 and it also has a manual clutch in the bell.
    I havent cracked it open yet to see how fresh it is, heck, I havent even seen it yet, just pictures and its clean enough to be a fresh build that was stored away a good while ago. ill update as I get it.
    Any info on this combo?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. 215? Automatic? Manual clutch???????? I'll be waiting for pix

3. yup, weird, my brother has it for me, he sending pictures , ill post em up in a couple minutes and maybe find out what we really have here

4. ron clark

ron clark
    from concord

the 215 is a good little engine..very nice for mileage and decent power..ya did good..

5. Can't wait to see pics!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. gotta a trans pict. no motor picture yet.
    I dont see a clutch arm nor how it would work, he said the disc looking thing in the picture appears to bolt to the flywheel and then the trans fits into it, I dunno, gonna have to look it up and do some research I guess.
    How does it work?

[​IMG]

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That's not a clutch. My 64 Olds had the same thing on its slim jim auto transmission, I can't explain it but it's not a clutch.

Pat

8. thats what I think, I see no clutch arm nor any place for it to work ifn' ya shoved one in there :)

9. I've never heard of a "Pontiac 215"! Buick 4 (head bolts) or Oldsmobile (5 head bolts) then Rover took over using the Buick version.

10. willsweptline

willsweptline

Pontiac used the Olds version in some 61-63 Tempest & LeMans. If it was out of a Pontiac, it would have a transaxle.

11. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

that clutch is more or less the torque converter on those combos. i have a the same thing sitting in my garage waiting for a good car to put it in. mines from a 61 f85. if you find some 1964 buick 300 heads get them, they will bolt right on give you a little better horsepower and bigger valves.

12. ron clark

ron clark
    from concord

yes, but we all know what he meant..cmon guys

13. Zerk

Zerk

A 1964 Pontiac 215 is the Chevy inline 6. In 1963 there was the 4 cylinder and the 326 V8, I think.
    I don't remember when the TH180 trans came along. Probably in the '80s.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This is partially incorrect. Pontiac used the Buick version of the 215 Aluminum V8 in '61 & '62.

Zerk is correct that Pontiac used the Pontiac sourced 326 V8 in '63. The Buick sourced 215 Aluminum engine was not used by Pontiac in '63 Tempests.

Only Olds used the Olds version with the Olds 'style' heads.

As for that disc.....it is just a shock absorbing link between the engine and trans. The torque converter on those transaxle Pontiacs ('61 thru '63) hung out behind the transaxle.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This is also incorrect......see above post 're the "clutch plate" that isn't a clutch plate.

Also, if you have a '61 F85, you have a front mounted 2 speed automatic, same as Buick Special of '61 thru '63, not at all the same as used by Pontiac in the same period. The Pontiac had the unusual flexible drive shaft that curved down ward in the middle between the engine and rear mounted trans, inside a housing with bearings to support it.

16. stimpy

stimpy

its called a impulse dampener , we still use them today on diesels with automatics , basically 2 plates ( one the drive the other the driven ) with the springs between them to smooth/cancel out the pulsation/vibration from the firing so you do not feel it in the driveline , kind of like what the marcel springs do in a clutch hub . and the th series of transes din't start till after 64 and the below 300 series was late in the game for the US , 1971 for europe

17. The picture shows a bell housing from the alloy 215 V8. Only one with the "teddy bear ears" on the top of it.
    I had a Buick version with the "switch pitch" trans and that had a huge torque converter housing

18. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

here is the engine number info and locations. you should be able to figure out what you have.

<table class="body-estext" border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Buick Engine Numbers (stamped onto top surface of engine block, ahead of the passenger-side cylinder head)

Engine Number Format: A-B-C-DDDDDDD

Where:
    "A" was the model code (0="Special", 1="Special Deluxe", 2="Skylark")
    "B" was the model-year code (H="1961", I="1962", J="1963")
    "C" was a single-digit plant code
    "DDDDDDDD" was the production sequence number
    </td> </tr> <tr><td> Oldsmobile Engine Numbers (stamped onto front of right-hand cylinder head)

Engine Number Format: AA-BBBBBBB

Where:
    "AA" designated rated power (S="155 H.P.", SG="185 H.P.", ST="215 H.P.", SH or SE="low compression export models")
    "BBBBBBB" was the production sequence number
    </td> </tr> <tr><td> Pontiac Engine Numbers (stamped on front of block on right cylinder bank

Engine Number Format: 21-AA-B-CCCCCCC

Where:
    "AA" was the model-year code (H="1961", I="1962", J="1963")
    "B" was a single-digit plant code
    "CCCCCCC" was the production sequence number
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buick = 5 head bolts, Oldsmobile = 6 head bolts. See the attached pics. Note that the Buick block has the 6th bolt boss cast into the block, but because of the valvetrain difference in the Olds vs Buick, that 6th bolt cannot be used.

Attached Files:

20. jesse1980

jesse1980

So where's the pictures ???!!!!?

21. Clutch looking thing is the drive damper, there is a fluid coupling deeper inside of the transmission.