Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Roadster Crash INSIDE GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot rods are not dangerous, show cars that were not built to be driven are!

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Not good, hope everything works out!!

That is why I like 3 pedals, you can always de-clutch.

Ago

3. OneBad56

OneBad56

This car was built to be driven, that was the owners plan after the show circuit.

(BTW he owned the original Pineapple Princess which was driven all over way back in time.
    The original still exists somewhere in a small museum in Massachusetts. Not for sale so another was built by the Rod Shop in Calgary for the original owner. Was called the Pineapple Princess II but someone said he has changed the name to the Hawaiian.
    Both carbs are fakes, hidden fuel injection system is set up in the air cleaner.
    The original also had two carbs mounted in a similar fashion and they worked.)

Glad the Judge will recover.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Might not be the judge on the floor. Could be one of the "haters" on this thread, holding his hands over his mouth while laughing (ROFLMAO).
    Glad the judge is ok. As someone mentioned, this could have been worse, even fatal if it was a small child or someone with their back to the car and didn't see it coming.

5. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Wow!!! This is crazy!!! I hope the Judge is ok. The car can be fixed, but man, what ashame.

6. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I wonder how many cars are registered and insured at a typical car show?

They never seem to have plates on them (because they are not driving them?) Opps!

7. upspirate

upspirate

Glad the judge didn't get hurt badly.

I had a throttle sticking problem on an Edlebrock carb and didn't have any time to do anything but go for second on a fairly stock 327.....things happen fast!!

BTW,was on a car that had been on the road a while,no sticking til the engine came up to temp,worked free when checking cold like you normally would...replaced springs,throttle cable,etc. Turned out that when it was torqued down evenly and gently to the manifold,it fixed the problem.I had tightened unevenly after rebuilding the carb.:eek:

Don't know what happened here though

8. jesse1980

jesse1980

At least everyone is ok. It would have broke my heart for sure if that was my car, but at least that can be repaired.

9. prayers out to the judge, and the owner.

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

The car was completed almost a year ago, plenty of time to work out the bugs.

[​IMG]

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Any word on the judge? Did the guy behind the wheel get hurt? It doesn't look like there were any skid marks on the floor leading up to the door so I am guessing he hit pretty hard. Such a shame for everyone involved.

13. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

This is a good reason to have a "drive in" and "drive out" policy at these shows, when they are setting up. Which means, "no" car trailers, roll backs, or pushing a car to its selected spot.

14. This is at the Calgary World Of Wheels show last year and I know it wasn't running at this point in time. I have heard it has had some pretty extensive engine work done since then so who knows when it was finished or what happen. All of this is just speculation at this time.

15. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Email from a friend who was there (he had a WMBR contender last year) says that the judge was airlifted out because of non-accident-related health issues and that the judge is doing OK with no life-threatening injuries.

Throttle stuck open while positioning the car.

16. Joe King

Joe King

Put a bandaid on it and drag it to your spot.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I surely hope those who oversee various shows don't overreact to this incident like some here have. I'm glad the judge will be OK, and I'd bet if someone talks to him later he wont be overreacting as to what needs to be done in the future.
    What I do see is accidents happen, and everyone needs to use caution and common sense. If someone is in direct line with your running car, then you need to either ask them to get out of harm's way, or wait until they have moved. Everyone involved in car events needs to just look at this as a case of what can we do to avoid a possible injury if there is a stuck throttle. Not look at it as who can we blame, or who made something the wrong way. The best builds around can have mechanical problems.

18. OneBad56

OneBad56

At the 2013 Calgary W.O.W., it had a non-running engine and the wiring was not completed. Final assembly was done hours before the show.

After the show, The Rod Shop completed the wiring, the engine was pulled and the owner sent it off to an engine builder, were a small fortune was invested in it.

There were a few other finiggley items to complete too, so the owner took it home to finish it off.

19. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Why not just build a model for the model contest, alot cheeper and "safer" if you dont plan on driving it?

20. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

That just goes to show you... nerf bars don't do a thing!

21. Speedy recovery Vic!!!
    Hope these injuries are not life changing as well as the reported life threatening.

I'm going to attempt to respectfully disagree with you here.

Ok here is exactly what an accident is.

An accident, mishap, or, more archaically, misadventure, is an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance, often with lack of intention or necessity. It usually implies a generally negative outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence.

Now this next part is very important.

Experts in the field of injury prevention avoid use of the term 'accident' to describe events that cause injury in an attempt to highlight the predictable and preventable nature of most injuries. Such incidents are viewed from the perspective of epidemiology as predictable and preventable. Preferred words are more descriptive of the event itself, rather than of its unintended nature (e.g., collision, drowning, fall, etc.)

In 95% of so these called accidents or "Shit Happens" explanations are exactly what these experts look for and find. It almost always (95%) boils down to somebody knowing better and NOT DOING what they know they should.

Late night thrash - get some sleep
    Late night thrash - don't wait for the last fucking minuets.
    Finishing someone else job - wait for the guy to get up
    Having no clue - find some help
    Self engineered solutions - get an opinion
    Brakes went out - when was the last time they were serviced/inspected?

You do know that more folks have "Accidentally" shot themselves or others with "non-loaded" guns than any that were known to be loaded outside of war related events. When this happens, it is not an accident at all. Gun control isn't the answer just like SHOW CONTROL won't be the answer. Educating is the answer, but it doesnt work. When an irresponsible person has possession of a life taking machine, what would you "expect" to happen? Clearly not an accident is it.

More teenage girls get "accidentally" pregnant than any other way, well what do you expect when a irresponsible person has full control over a baby making machine right? Clearly not an accident. Educating doesn't seem to be working so my vote is for chastity belts but that's a tough sale to make.

Now what do you think might happen if i were involved in late night thrashes because I waited till the last minuet to work on shit I didn't know anything about and figures I can fake my way thru a self engineered solutions and am now in possession of a overpowered under braked machine ?
    I suppose some would call that an accident waiting to happen.

I see your point being "accidents happen" and my point is no accidents do not just happen - they are arranged by a multifactoral set of circumstances that are "SELF IMPOSED"

I also see your point that mechanical issues are part of the best builds.
    If by some chance I were to build something for you that failed and caused harm I hope that you would be so gracious to lift me up and tell me "that's alright buddy". If it were the other way around and something you built for me failed causing me harm I would have no mercy. Especially if you waited till the last minuet to hurry.

That's my opinion and I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  22. rfraze

rfraze

Maybe we can remember this event when someone tells us we must have all fuel out of our car, while in the show arena. It also reminds me of how many throttles are being WHACKED, WHACKED during driveouts after indoor shows and what COULD happen. Because it is so much fun, I doubt I will remember this unfortunate event, BUT we should.

23. Another shot from Hot Rod

Attached Files:

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, there's still nothing new, but a lot of speculation and arm chair accident inspectors? I'll check back.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Before or after, "OH SHIT!"? Because "OH SHIT!" comes awful fast.

26. The fire marshall should have been more attentive..The cars here in our Autorama must be checked in at the door..and only enough fuel to get it to your assigned space,,Then disconnect battry cable......

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

Same exact thing at the GNRS. They carry a clipboard and check off every required safety item. They checked my gas gauge, and checked to see if my battery was disconnected, along with their other requirements. This is basic, standard stuff at every indoor venue.

28. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I had throttles stick more than a few times on motorcycles and cars, But was fortunate that they were all manual shift. I remember in the mid 70s when GM had problems with drivers side motor mounts. Car making turn (broken motor mount) motor torques, pulls the throttle wide open, then pulls the vacuum hose out of the power brake booster, result crash. This happened more than once.

Ago

29. These things can get away from you in a hurry. My touring was on the road for a couple years working fine when the eelco linkage decided to reposition itself. Fortunately it was parked in my shop when I fired it up. The linkage snagged WFO and I had 6000rpm in a split second. I figure if it would have been in gear it would have been way worse than this event. It took prob 3 seconds for me to unstick the linkage, how much ground can you cover in that time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.