Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage AMBR contenders 2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 22, 2014.

1. 2014 AMBR contenders are up on HOT ROD Mag site. Thom Taylor does a great job getting these posted quickly and for some who is on the other side of the world it is greatly appreciated.

click ---> http://blogs.hotrod.com/2014-grand-national-roadster-show-contenders-104141.html <--- click

The 3 cars I see as the front runners are

#917 Wes Rydell
    [​IMG]

#908 Bill Grant
    [​IMG]

#916 Paul Gommi
    [​IMG]

The left field pick

#913 Larry Maddox
    [​IMG]

The full list of contenders.

#904 Ron Goodwin
    [​IMG]

#900 Charles Matus
    [​IMG]

#915 Dan Van Auken
    [​IMG]

#917 Wes Rydell
    [​IMG]

#908 Bill Grant
    [​IMG]

#916 Paul Gommi
    [​IMG]

#913 Larry Maddox
    [​IMG]

#909 Paul Tregembo
    [​IMG]

#902 Richard Chiarenza
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. HAHA #908 is the one a bunch of guys on here said had no hope of winning when a sneak peek thread was put up about it.:rolleyes:

3. I recall the thread about the blue '32.....looks real good with present company.

4. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

the last one is my favorite even though its not traditional, 427 SOHC + Ford Roadster= one hell of a car

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

The first two are "beautiful" I could see the first phaeton taking the AMBR but I would really like to see the little blue roadster take the title.

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

not fond of the blue roadster's top running uphill...would look better if they chopped the windshield some more...kinds like Gommi's tub...my 2 cents

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. met the instructor from Roseville HS at Detroit a few years ago, They brought some nice cars that year, not surprised to see them with an AMBR contender. Good luck guys!

ps. To whomever changed the AMBR contest to its more traditional styled state, Thanks!

8. Aww man, you don't think the 'glass car with the neon in the engine compartment has a chance???:rolleyes:

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I think he blew it by running the top for the show. That car would knock your socks off minus the top.

It's tough but that Chevy Phaeton just seems to have that extra bit of perfection while looking like a rig most of would love to jump in and go on a long ride.

10. I'm calling it... the 35 Chevy.

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

#916 with those side curtains....... wow.

That gets my vote.

12. Muttley

Muttley

Seriously? That thing is ugly.

13. '35 tub is too low.
    I'd like too see that cammer '32 do a lap of Indy, hot- those engines deserve a tough car that can handle it. Otherwise it's like Jack Johnson working as a window dresser.
    Love the pastel deuce, best SBC- shame 'bout the top.
    The 'glass Chev vicky tourer with the neon mill looks like more fun. #1.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  14. Even though the top runs up hill the blue roadster gets my vote.
    Later,
    Dick

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

The blue windshield grates more on me than the uphill top.

16. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

the uphill top on the blue one is a "WHAT WERE YOU THINKIN" moment- maybe a borrowed top?? paul gommis tub or wes rydells tub will get it - I say gommis. is it the same highboy tub he's had ,now full fendered??

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yep

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. ....................Gotta agree with you, Larry. The car is beautiful, but that top would have to go.

19. Looks like there is some space/daylight between the driver's side post and the top on #906...

could the "uphill top" simply be that they didn't have it locked down?

The black Deuce Tub gets my vote- LOTS of nice touches on that car, and that blue windshield made me throw up in my mouth a little.

20. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

21. haychrishay

haychrishay

diddo

22. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

am i one of the only guys on here who thinks that 35 just doesnt look right? seems like something Cruella Deville would have driven, not a hot rodder. thats just my 2 cents though.

from what i have seen there are plenty of deserving roadsters in this years showing

23. I'm not a Chevy guy normally, but I like that Rydell '35 from what I see of it.

24. Who built Rydell's '35? If Troy did it, I think it's a slam dunk.

If not, I think it's between Rydell & Gommi.

JH

25. Ugly is the new black.

26. Squablow

Squablow

I think the top is just unlatched on the 908 car. That one is my favorite, I like the skinny stripe tires on it.

The Chevy Phaeton is really neat and different too, but to me the hubcaps look like they're off of a '75 Monza or something. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic?

27. DrJ

DrJ

It's going to come down to who had the least amount of dust between the frame and body on the White glove test.... :rolleyes:

28. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

I can appreciate the quality of the builds, but how does this fit in traditional hot rods?

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I would love to see either Bill Grant's roadster or Paul Gommi's tub take the trophy.. I bet Gommi does. The Chevy just doesn't look right at all, but then again, I'm not one of the judges.