Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Roadster Crash INSIDE GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Low .

2. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

That car was built as a "Pineapple Princess" clone. Built in Calgary, Alberta, hope that show official recovers quickly. Not a good happening all around.

3. What shop built it? I understand if you don't want to publicize it due to the accident but if you wouldn't mind PMing me if you don't want to make it public I would be interested to know who it was.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't imagine seeing something like that happen, very happy to hear the injuries are not life-threatening. Nothing funny about it at all.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Man, that makes me sick to my stomach. Cant imagine how bad everyone involved with that car feels. Hope someone has some kind words for the owner/builder to pick him up. No doubt there will be a line of guys to tear him down.

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That sucks . Looks like the judge is going to be alright - that's good . That beautiful roadster got it's ass kicked , that's for sure !

7. toucan

toucan
    from sc

aye aye aye!

8. From HOT ROD blog.

Update 5:48 PM: Vic has had X-rays and has no broken bones, and is breathing fine. He was airlifted out of the Fairplex as a precaution due to diabetes. He is expected to be fine in a few days.

Read more: http://blogs.hotrod.com/tragedy-104161.html#ixzz2rBSFT2jW
    Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

9. What an unfortunate accident. Sad that a person was hurt, sad for the owner, and builder. Hopefully insurance covers everything. Whatever happened to cause this could have been much worse though should this have happened at speed on the road, I shudder to imagine.

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Could of been anything..hell the pedal could of accidentally snagged on the carpet...sometimes shit just happens. Glad everyone is ok

11. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Probably the most stupid comment I've read on here.
    Luckily the injuries seem to be minimal considering...

12. Look on the left, is that the judge down on the floor? The driver is still in the car. It looks like the other guys are coming to their aid. What a terrible deal for everyone involved.

[​IMG]

13. Tragic, just absolutely, tragic.

14. Ebert

Ebert

X 2. Hope the judge gets well soon.

15. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Just devastating I am glad the news on the judge is very promising! The driver has to feel as low as one can get! Hope the outcome is good for all involved!

16. 117harv

117harv

It looks like the judge will be alright, I hope that is correct info. Why dont they just push the cars into the show?

17. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Imagine if that was you behind the wheel as you lose control of the car. Powerless to stop it. Horrible feeling. And the judge.... nobody ever expects something like this could happen.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Bet they do now

19. I don't know if it has always been this way but I believe it is a part of the qualifications for the AMBR that the car has to drive up under its own power. I assume so the judges know it is an actual working car. I seem to remember Troy Ladd wasn't able to start and drive his car one year in the allotted time and therefore couldn't compete.

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

this

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Roadsir

Roadsir

This is part of the deal right, they have to running, drivable and run across the podium for the judges to see the cars in motion.

Next year, maybe a rule and scoring change...They must pass a thorough tech inspection (throttle linkage, neutral safety switch, etc.) put some scoring emphasis towards this....then and only then drive across the podium.

As others have said the last minute thrashes that go into preparing for a "show" often overlook, and possibly even bypass issues that arise late in the build.

Make it the Best Engineered Most Beautiful Roadster

22. 117harv

117harv

^^^ Yes I knew that, but couldn't that part be done outside? I would have just pushed my car in if I was entering the show, if not just for safety, for exhaust fumes too. I sure feel sorry for the guy, to have that happen anytime is bad enough, but at a show...wow.

23. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

If that comment was an attempt to make light of this tragic situation, you failed miserably. Not funny at all. And I hope you never find yourself in the same situation.:mad:

24. Someone could be standing in the wrong place outside just as easily as inside when something like this happens.

25. 296ardun

296ardun

I'm not going to even guess why it happened, sure the owner is sick about the injury and his car, at least the injury does not seem now to be as serious as first feared.

I understand why these cars have to start, recall the former AMBR winners from years ago that didn't have functioning engines, just built for the trophy. But am sure that the organizers will figure out a better way to make sure cars are in driving condition. As others have pointed out, sometimes the owners are in a rush to finish and some important details get missed.

26. Really hope the guy is okay!!

27. Posted this in another thread about this incident:A similar incident happened at the Detroit Autorama 2 years ago(IIRC)when a stuck throttle(or something)occurred during the move in night and the car took off the side of the General Lee Dodge Charger.Don't believe anyone was hurt but it could have been a catastrophe.Those polished concrete floors are like glare ice so even if the brakes could have been applied in time it likely wouldn't have done much good. Not making excuses;just my opinion.
    Hopefully the victim will heal quickly.

28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I agree 100%. :(

I hope the Judge is okay!

29. Man , that sucks , hope Vic gets better , great guy !!

30. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Hind sight is always 20/20 but one simple rule for any car show requiring a running engine somewhere in the process could have a rule like the model A's have.
    The car has to be driven at least 4 miles during judging.
    This wouldn't 100% insure no problems would arise but the chance that the car would be disqualified would sure help reducing any problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.