Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jay's Hot Rod: AV8 Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Junk Hunter, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Thats a really nice truck

2. greaser

greaser

I really like this truck....not quite sure about the horn, though.

3. fryguy

fryguy

Love the stance on the truck. Nice choice of wheels. this is going to be killer

4. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

That is a great truck, love that dash. Keep up the good work!

5. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I hear ya...I'm on the fence about the horn too. I need to find a use for that teardrop indention that looks 'right'...anybody got any ideas?

6. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Like your build - neat truck. As for the teardrop area: maybe remove the chrome horn cover and give it some patina to match the rest of the truck so it doesn't stand out as much? How about mounting a fuel filter, coil or gauge there? Maybe use a similar shaped finned piece like these air cleaner tops to fill it up and make a little hidden storage compartment? Just a few thoughts since you asked... :cool:

Attached Files:

7. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Maybe I'll go back to the fuel block idea...like this one.

Attached Files:

8. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Maybe?...shit, I don't know..this little detail should probably be a little lower on the priority list right now.:D

Attached Files:

9. Hate to say it, but swap the firewall out.
    I thought the horn looked OK there,
    but honestly anything will kind of look like a band aid.
    I never cared for the indent firewall on these trucks.
    But like everything above, just my opinion.

10. Fill it, cut it out leaving an inch or so flange all around and put a new piece in. Use the tear drop panel for somthing else or sell it.

11. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I'm definitely not swapping out the entire firewall. I spent a whole bunch of time widening this one from top to bottom to get the cowl to fit the '32 frame. If I get rid of the teardrop, I'll use a patch panel out of a junk '30 firewall I have..that way I can have the reveals on the right side just like a '30.

I'll figure something out one way or another.

12. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Awsome build! I sort of liked the horn there, but hey- that's just me!

13. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

What if you painted the horn instead of leaving it chrome? Then it wouldn't stand out so much... I kinda liked it there and thought that was a good use of that space, but I guess that's just me... I like your truck btw!

14. My bad.
    I forgot about the time investment you have in widening it.

15. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

That might be the answer right there. The horn does fit in the spot real well...and even if it were left chrome it probably wouldn't stand out so much once the truck is painted and all the other chrome work is done anyway. The firewall is going to end up an off white cream color.

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i like the truck a lot. and i think the horn looks fine, and will only look better as things progress.

17. I actually really liked the horn there. It's big enough to fill the indent, and looks old times to me. 'Its there because it fits!'
    I also thought the same as others...it won't stand out as much once you're in paint and have your engine finished.

But if that horn is an original piece, you might want to check eBay prices before painting over it or adding patina...

Posted via telegraph.

18. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I saw this truck (frame) when it was at A.S.S and you've come a long way on it. The rest of the truck is looking great. I'm building an early 31 truck with a flathead, but it's on a Model A frame.

I'll be taking notes for sure. ;)

19. I think the horn looks great

20. RomeFab

RomeFab
    from Casper, WY

Awesome build!! Like the horn but not the chrome. I agree with others, Paint it to blend in or some patina. I saw someone on here use a cowl light on there firewall to have some aid during those late night problems. Don't think it was on a car with a 31 recess tho. But might fill the blank and serve a purpose? I'll see if I saved a picture of it.

21. Please keep the horn like that!! It looks like its straight out of a Don Montgomery book to me I love it!!!

22. I like everything about the truck, even the horn. Tim

23. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I really appreciate it.

Working on my steering now. I'm using an F-1 steering box with a '36 column and wheel. I cut 2-3/4" off the '36 mast, mocked it up, and it all seems to fit great. The column drop aligns perfect with the original dash mounting holes. The column gives pretty good clearance at the floor/firewall to allow for clutch pedal clearance (I still have to bend my pedals to fit). The F-1 box is kind of close to the engine block but there is enough of room for header clearance.

The box is currently mounted with its original mounting flange. The top front flange bolt and the bottom flange bolt mount flush to the back side of the frame but the top rear flange mount location is about 1/8" off the frame and is currently shimmed with washers. I know common practice is to cut off the original F-1 flange and weld on a new flange allowing everything to fit up correctly and to mount flush with the frame. However I'm concerned that if I do this, the steering box/column will shift too far (about 1/2") to the left and rob me of some room for my clutch pedal. How common is it to mount an F-1 box in a '32 frame using the original F-1 flange?..I've searched and can't seem to find any examples. Or how critical is it that the steering box flange be mounted flush to the frame?..I've read of frame cracks doing this but never actually seen any examples of failure. Am I overlooking something?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  24. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Nice truck keep up the good work.. like the wheels....

25. greaser

greaser

Grab one of those F1 steering box wedges from Vern Tardel and you should be all set.

26. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

The wedges are for an F-100 box. The piece Tardel sells for the F1 is a weld-on flange to replace the original.

27. JH: I ran one with handmade spacers at the bolt bosses that had gaps and had no problems. It was a '32 frame with a '57
    f-100 box. Tim

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

horn.jpg thought I'd throw this out...stolen from Tom Davison's coverage of the GNRS...horn?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

^^Lucky Burton's new roadster, no?^^

30. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Nice catch Larry. That is Lucky's roadster. I saw a couple pics of it at GNRS posted on Piero De Lucas Facebook page earlier today. The first thing I noticed was the motorcycle horn. I think it looks great there! Thinking I'm going to leave my horn where it is at.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014