Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford standard grille any good ones besides Drake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm in need of a new chrome standard 40 Grille but Drake is still out of stock, so I'm looking for a decent grille. Is there another vendor that has a decent one or does anybody know a source for one? Or is Drakes the only good one?

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

x2 on Spadaro

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Spadaro's was out too

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Your best bet if you want the best quality is to wait for Drake or Spadaro's grille. I think Spadaro sells the drake grille. Stay away from the cheaper quality and price ones on ebay or by Vintique.

6. redo32

redo32

Drake & Vintique used to come out of the same mould. Crooked Chinese charged each for the dies , but only made one set with a replaceable nameplate in the die. Vintique picked up "their" dies first & Bob had to make a new set.

7. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I got mine for both cars from allfordparts.com. Even came in Drake packaging and $100 cheaper. Easy to talk to and quite knowledgeable. Their #1 800 532 1932

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gee, I noticed a big quality and price difference between the Drake and Vintique 40 Ford DeLuxe Grilles. Ended up buying the Drake grille last Dec. Very happy with the fit and quality.

9. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I have the Drake std grille, it is nice and fits great!

10. I'm not planning on buying one for a while, so I hope they're in stock by then! I've heard that they are often out of stock.

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

My new Drake DeLuxe grille had the letters "DRAKE" cast into the metal.

13. Tatorboy

Tatorboy

Bob's pretty good about putting his name on any parts he has made.

14. metalman

metalman

I spent hours looking for one, good or bad repop a couple months ago,no luck. Ended up with a 39 Deluxe for now.
    Russco, good luck with the Gearhead order, let us know how that works out. FWIW I think Drake uses original Ford part#, so does Mac's, I don't think the part number will assure a Drake part.

15. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Be warned, that many times Gearheads stuff is drop shipped from the manufacturer, so if Drake is out of stock........

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I hope that's not the case. I asked if it was going to be drop shipped and after checking he said it didn't look like it was because the delivery date shown was Monday. I'll update this if or when I get the grille.

17. yblock292

yblock292

I'm looking for a 39 delux grill, have been told its the same as a 40 standard by some otheres say their not the same

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

They are different,they have a narrow center bar vs the wider center on the 40. They also have the short grille bars on the out side top corners I also think the entire side profile shape is different as well.

19. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

39 DLX is stamped steel with Stainless trim attached to the bars. Major difference.

20. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

The 39 deluxe and 40 standard are differant as for as looks,but are interchangeable.I have both.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

True, but the "DRAKE" name will.

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The first maker of the 40 Std./40-41 Pickup diecast grille sides and center section in modern times was Specialized Auto Parts in Houston. They offered the grille sides painted black as original and the center section was chrome-plated as original.
    The grille pieces were made in Taiwan but the center sections were chrome-plated here in Houston. After several production runs the center section dies were shipped to Houston and they were cast and plated in Houston.
    The Specialized center sections had the original factory production-style recessed horizontal reinforcement bars between the vertical bars rather than the later Ford replacement-style flush bars which look like bands across the vertical bars.

39 DeLuxe grilles are stamped steel with a chromed diecast center bar and stainless strips clipped to the painte steel bar framework. They are usable with 40 Std Hoods and on 40-41 pickups.

23. d-rod!

d-rod!

Speedway motors sells one , kinda cheaply made but it works. I used one in a 40 TUDOR sedan, and it was ok.not something i would use in a really nice car

24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Well I'm hoping I didn't get screwed I specifically asked if it was a Drake and not a cheap knock off and Mark there told me yes it was a Drake and it had a Drake part number ending in BD. This morning, I tried to cancel the order she said it was already shipped so we will see I did call my CC company to find out about disputing it if it's not what it's supposed to be and I have documented everything so far who I talked to and when ETC... I was surprised that their feedback is so good on eBay though???

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I can't speak to the grille that Gearhead Enterprises has listed, but I have had good experiences purchasing from them on Ebay before. It's the only way I would purchase from them, after reading the negative stuff here on the HAMB.
    Seems like Ebay feedback, PayPal, etc.. make them be more accountable for sales and following through.

Malcolm

26. Ebay would not allow me to post negative feedback because they sent me my money back..........I still lost $65 in shipping.
    Check the inter web and see what people say.

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good to know... thank you.

28. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

He said he wants a chrome one, this is unpainted. Try C and G in Escondido, or All Ford in San Jose, they are usually stocked up on Drake stuff, both are excellent to deal with