Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Had a few PM's about double shearing and a I think a few people missed this and its probably not apparent in the pics but this pic below should make it clearer, the legs going back from the centre section provide the outside joint bracket, hope that makes sense ?

Appreciate the input.

[​IMG]

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

A dry sunny day forecast for tomorrow so decided to drag the frame out of storage and get it rolling tomorrow, Yes its dark & raining here but couldn't resist drilling out the rivets and removing a small part of the centre section and bolting in the front ladder bar mount, the bolts are button heads reprofiled to resemble rivets and the nut side was spun in the lathe, once tightened down I will fill the heads with weld and fuse weld the nut in place. Looks more in keeping with the rest of the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1954satan

1954satan

You have sheep too? Wow you really are living "The Good Life";)

Seriously though mate,, excellent stuff please keep posting the build pics.:cool:

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm not like you farm boys Ray :D

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Wow what a great day today has been, sunshine all day Got out there bright & early and got the front axle etc in place, I also made a little towing fixture which bolts to the frame to make it easier to get to and from the lockup where its stored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got the rear axle & spring all mounted, next I will mount the motor & transmission, ran out of light in the end otherwise would of got the rear wheels on

[​IMG]

6. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

this is good stuff I like it alot

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Managed to squeeze a few hours work in on sunday, mainly assembling the rear spring which feels just about perfect, welding up a few unneeded holes and cutting off the various brackets I don't need, also put a relief in the front crossmember as because the pickups are a bit small for me I want to keep as much of the firewall as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

Looks great! You are a great craftsman....very nice work as always!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude, appreciated

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not so much done last night, but I guess anything is progress I needed a bit of 1" CDS for the tierod but had run out and didn't even have any stainless on the shelf, luckily young Gary Layton popped in with a bit an inch longer than I needed, bunged it in the lathe and trued it up and tapped for early ford tre's, I now have a rolling frame

Had a nice surprise today as my stake bed pockets arrived from Mackhills, couldn't buy Willys ones but the 39 Chevy ones are 99% correct ad almost the same thing and at $25 a piece a bargain
    Gonna pop in to my mates tomorrow and get some sheet bent up for the pickup bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Wow its saturday and nice & dry !!! Ideal opportunity to install the motor & transmission all the brackets were made and ready so what could go wrong ???

Got all the surfaces to be welded nice and clean and sparked up the welder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep all fits a treat !!!

[​IMG]

Splashed a bit of Rustoleum on to keep it nice

[​IMG]

Stood back to see what it looked like and thought "wasn't you gonna put the motor mounts lower ? " Damn !!! in my rush to get them on I had welded the level with the top instead of level at the bottom
    To much work to move them now as those suckers are proper welded in !!! Instead I will alter the front mount, that's how it goes sometimes, not worth rushing
    Its not how you screw up but how you get out of it that counts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to make slight modification to one centre section leg that goes forward, the new bell housing is pretty big and fouled on the leg, Out with the cutting disc and that was quickly solved I will fold up a piece to replace it that has a slight dogleg.

[​IMG]

Next job is to make a transmission mount, something like the front motor mount would be nice.

'52 F-3 likes this.
  13. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Hey Steve, thought I was the only one who messed up when they hurried? I'm sure once you rework the mount nobody will ever know it wasn't planned that way!

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Vall i've had this flu virus for about a week now and it just screws up your concentration bigtime, unfortunately although Sue keeps saying "sit down and rest" i'm just not that sort of guy, Yep will have it sorted in a few hours, I've already sorted it in my head :D

16. dblgun

dblgun

First rate job, just the motivation I needed this morning! Thanks

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not done much past few days as had some flu virus knocked me for 6 for a few days but improving now, worst thing is it left me with a horrible cough, not the ideal thing to do when tig welding

Anyway tonight I got a bit done, first I finished the trans mount I had started on saturday, I didn't have a C4 rubber mount so adapted a TH350 mount.

I also done the modification to the front engine mount but the paint wasn't dry enough to handle so pic tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the actual mount

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 1954satan

1954satan

Good to hear your kicking the flu bug. getting pleasantly accustomed to my morning updates on the build. keep it up mate always inspiring:cool:

19. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

VERRRY NICE work !!! Chris

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nice work Steve! Hope that Ford doesn't reject the Chevy mount! ;)

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Finished the mods to the motor mount.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

I noticed the mount rubbers were spreading slightly under the weight of the Y block so I spun some cups up in the lathe in alumnium to support them. The mounts always used to come with cups but not anymore ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Saxxon

Saxxon

Love your work. What is really impressive to me is your sense of proportion and packaging. Love the little detail work as well...

Cheers

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi mate, havnt seen you post in a while, glad to give you something to read over your cuppa

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Chris, appreciate the input

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha Vall, I giggled a little bit when I bolted it on.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Every time I have some little thing to address on my Chevy powered Falcon, my wife tells me it's the Falcon rejecting the transplant! Or she'll say, "Well it is still a Ford." She doesn't cut me any slack with the crossbreed thing.

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Saxon, I try and get it looking good but it don't always come off :(

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ah yes, the "crossbreed" thing. When I built the 1970 Ford 429 that went into my '56 Ford F100 (see avatar) I had to change the rocker arm studs to accommodate my new roller rockers. The only thing available at the time (1996) was Chevy big block studs. I used them but never told my Chevy buddies 'cause I never would have heard the end of it. lol

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Last couple of evenings have been spent making some stainless headers, the flanges I ordered from the laser cutter turned up real quick (thanks Paul) so I set to it.
    The Y block has square exhaust ports so first job was to make up some round tube with squares on the end to match the ports, I did a small video that explains the process here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC0SWpfWEoo

Heres a few pics but the video explains it better than words

The primary tubes are 1.75" Stainless steel, Flanges are 5/16" stainless steel, I kept the design simple to save time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got this far but run out of bends so come to a stop till tuesday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Doggone it Steve, you just keep putting out more cool stuff! Love the headers so far!