Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can Anybody ID These Weird Headers? Hedman?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Black Panther, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Got these weird but strangely cool headers at the last Pomona swapmeet...the flange in the middle reminds me of the Hedmans from the 60s..but I have only seen them where all four tubes are in line..not two in front and two behind like these...can anybody id them?

Attached Files:

2. jerry

jerry

I've got a set like that here. I was told that they were Hedman's butnhave no confirmation of that.

Yours is only the 2nd set I've seen. Also interested in any info on them.

jerry

3. oldolds

oldolds

Headers for my pops friends 55 Chevy were built like that. Can't help with brand as the memory is from about 1970 and I would have been about 12. I remember them because they were so happy to not have to pull the engine out to install them. Hooker or Headman would be my guess as that was all they would run.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, they are Hedmans. Somewhere, I've got an old Honest Charley catalog with pictures.

5. IS that collector entry related to the firing order to create a " swirl" in the flow?

6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I think you are referring to the Mickey Thompsons super scavenger headers....they are one piece and have a larger boxy collector....I think maybe on these because the tube size is slightly larger than other Hedmans ive had...thats why all four tubes are not inline? If someone can find a catalog with these in them that would be awesome...and what year the catalog was too..

7. Looks like the collector has been modified by a high place in the road! I think it should be round.
    I see a generator bracket, that might help with a time frame.

8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Black Panther: Those tubes do look big for Hedmans, however he did make a number of different styles. They might be Belanger Bros., as I have seen a similar pair of theirs. They are cool whatever make they are.

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

As has been said before Hedman early 60s style> I remember them on 62 Corvettes and other early Chevy. I remember the advertisement with a spark plug showing and the ad said "If you have these (headers shown) you can get these out (spark plugs shown)

Pat

10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The best part it I paid $30 for them....my plan is to run them on my 38 Chevy coupe gasser project...

Checked my 1962 Honest Charlie catalog and they dont show four tube collectors..they only show one and two tube ones. The McMullen roadster used four tube collector Hedmans...but the tubes are inline...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  11. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Heres the McMullen roadsters engine...I believe it was on the cover of Hot Rod in mid '63...

Attached Files:

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think Crane (?) made some heads in the early 60's that had huge round ports like those headers have, may have been head specific...That collector is about the length that collectors are supposed to be, they started making them shorter to save material and sell the extensions :)....The pipes are supposed to be in a certain order into the collector and it can be argued in a circular or cross-wise pattern but since neither bank has equal degrees of firing I don't think it matters, well unless ya got a 180° crank....:D......

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think those were car specific? The pipes are actually going into the collector [never noticed till now] which goes down the inside of the frame curving out underneath and capped by the chrome cover about flush with the out side of the frame...

14. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

From the exhaust port to the flange looks like Hedman...from the flange down is probably custom on the McMullen car..I was just showing that car as an example of a 4 tube in line collector of Hedmans. The bottom piece would have 4 corresponding tubes that then go into one larger collector..

Terrible80 likes this.
  15. WoW!! Those are cool!

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

My 1967 Honest Charley catalog shows them.

17. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Awesome.....do they say what car they are for?

OLDSMAN likes this.
  18. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i would like to have a set of the old 2 piece heddmons...

19. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it in a search for something else and thought I'd share some pics I had saved in my phone. I think the '57 is Project X in the later 60s, someone could correct me in that. prjx.jpg P1010170_zpsc1439fd0 (1).jpg

craig b blue, F&J and Moriarity like this.
  20. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Huh, I just noticed that that engine has no filler tube and no breathers on the valve covers... Maybe they just threw it together for the photo and change it later???

Moriarity likes this.
  21. rudestude

rudestude

Here's some pages from some Hedman, Edelbrock, Honest Charley's, and Midwest 67/68 catalogs.. 1552894520077~2.jpeg 1552894453095~2.jpeg 1552894418587~2.jpeg 1552894947890~2.jpeg 1552894969414~2.jpeg 1552894487822~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F&J likes this.