Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 speed 59 el camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Jan 20, 2014.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I was with a group of friends the other day and we were discussing 4speed verses automatic. my elky has a 4 spd and my 52 chebbie p.u. has a bone stock 350/350,with ps ,pb. I was thinking of putting a auto in the 59.getting older,leg starts to quiver when mashing the clutch and all. well it was a balmy 60 degrees today so I go out and finally fixed the 59. been down since SEPT. just really don't have time with new job and elderly parent to take care of. anyway,got elky fixed took her out, had to merge on to I-65 for test run. DAMN THAT FELT GOOD! going down the ramp to merge into traffic, let that baby wind out ....... aint no automatic going into my elky,not for a while anyway. now if I could just find a 5 speed! both have their good points( AUTO/STRAIGHT), but dang I was......... well ya'll know!! SMILLIN!! I put a lot of miles on the elky,A LOT.leg does get a little week in traffic. I think i'll just throw her up into neutral, and keep on rowing!!!

anybody got a good 5 speed for sale????lol

2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I think that It would be a bit much for me these days to have a manual daily driver, with the city traffic and all these days. But, it's really nice to have one around to take a spin when you feel like it. It really takes you back when you haven't done it in a while.

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Automatics are for Women

5. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

Hot Rod cover car in 59 with the title Fastest thing on the road---335 horse 4 speed El Camino---wish i still had mine oh hell i wish i still had the 4 speed in my ol vette

6. You need to drive it every day to keep the quad muscles built up. I had a very heavy pedal pressure clutch plate in my '64 Ford. The 1st couple of weeks, I'd get the leg quivering thing, after that my leg got built up.

Bob

7. bgblk40

bgblk40
    from Midwest

I currently have a chopped, slammed, and "Z'ed" '40 Chevy 2 door sedan with a Hilborn injected, rollered 496" BBC, beefed 700R4, and Ford 9" 3:70 posi. If I were to have a second hot rod it would likely be a 4 or 5 speed. Had a '66 Nova with a 383" stroker and 4 speed. It was a ball to drive. But if I only own one hot rod it would have to be an AOD of some kind.

Tom

8. Gotta have three pedals.

9. Real hot rods have clutches.... Slushboxes are for drag cars and wussies....

10. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

First car I owned was a 59 El Camino with the factory 348 and a converted Hydramatic with floor shifter. Bought it from a boat builder that used it to tow trailered boats. Shifted hard and went thru a couple of rear ends. Changed it over to a 3 speed (didn't have much money back then) and drove it for a few years before selling. Looked like the older brothers car on the Wonder Years, down to the chrome reverse wheels with baby moons.

11. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Shit, even my woman drives a stick. I'm just saying....

12. 504640

Great Attitude, B.A. I am going to be a hold out too!

13. Deuces

Deuces

Both of mine have manuals.....;)

14. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Wtf is an automatic , never ever heard of one , even if I were poor as a church mouse, I'd have at 3 speed stick, but prefer a 5or6 speed. , no fun unless it's got 3 pedals !

15. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Three on the tree has set me free............................

16. PackardV8

PackardV8

Hot rods have three pedals. Since I'm only 68 years old, my latest Stude pickup build is a Borg-Warner 3-speed overdrive. The Stude Hawk under construction is getting a T56 6-speed. The Sunbeam Tiger has a TKO 5-speed.

The NHRA has always been a bit weird about tranny acceptance. Few to none of the '59 El Caminos were delivered with the Borg-Warner 4-speed stick or the GM Hydramatic 4-speed automatic, but they were allowed to race in stock class with those trannies. I even saw '56-57 sedan deliveries running a Hydro-Stick because someone found a loophole where they could be registered as a truck and GMC offered the Hydramatic.

jack vines

17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

funny,guy here in Decatur had a 59 elky. But trailer hitch was on the front bumper so he could move boats around in his boat dealership.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This hit's home in another way. Meaning. I had the chance to buy a Sag 4 speed with 2:54 1st that had been fitted with the OD from a Sag 3 speed. Man, talk about passing up old school modern if you get my drift.

19. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

HI; Why don't you change the clutch to one with a soft peddle, did that in my Peterbilt, then I could drive it with my NEW bionic hip. NOTHING like a "4 speed record changer" Chris

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

The clutch in my 63 BelAir wears me out but I wouldn't have it any other way.

21. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Interesting timing B.A.

Currently putting together a 4 speed 327 combo for this heap.

Attached Files:

22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

what would you do if I sang out of tune.
    mines white.......and rust:D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  23. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

That ain't no heap, even more beautiful with the 4 speeds, good luck on that beauty.

Cosmo in the '49