Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Nope, just my updraft mocked as a downdraft.

I was hoping to win the one in the picture below..but as you can see it got a little crazy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Carter

Carter

Yeah, I was watching that one. Wow, that thing went high. Was that the one that had a BB throttle body and an AD float bowl or am I thinking of a different one?

3. No, the one with the BB throttle body and the AD float is listed here. This one was on ebay.

4. Carter

Carter

That's right. My memory doesn't work very well. Hope you find the downdraft float bowl you need.

5. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

We used to modify manifold by sealing the downdraft part and hole saw the top of the manifold. Used a V8 carb mount from a stock V8 manifold or makitup, then brazed on. I know its not as cool as an aftermarket but worked good doesnt look bad, it was baknthday.

6. Camshaft swap to Winfield SU-1A. Engine doesn't fit the stand....so do it the old fashioned way...

Attached Files:

7. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

8. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

I like the build!
    So you have a Winfield BU and need a BD? Have you looked into making an adapter to covert a Winfield bowl? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390282866.925467.jpg

9. Here you go.

While I was degreeing the cam, I noticed a +3 on the timing gear. Sure enough, advanced 3 degrees. So I ordered a brass timing gear with a matched crank gear. That showed up Monday. I also found the correct distributor cap for my vintage mallory distributor. I hope I can button it up soon.

Attached Files:

10. Hmm interesting... I havent seen that before. I have actually found a downdraft Winfield, should have that this coming Monday. I may give that a try though. Thanks!

11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Very good. Glad you are making progress.

12. Wauw! Looks very kuul, and like real good craftsmanship! :cool:

13. Thanks to Bcchopit I now have a downdraft Winfield carburetor.

Attached Files:

14. Really cool

15. Thanks! It's all the small stuff that is taking forever.

I would have to say they are probably the best on the market. Far nicer or stronger than I will need, but I couldn't help myself. :D

16. YES!!!! Dude, you're killin' me with that choke housing...I've got the snorkel style, wish I had one of those 'stack' style housings like yours! Arrrggg.....

Can't wait to see more!!

17. I'm pretty happy about the choke. I like the looks better and I was thinking I can fit a filter to it. My A, BB, and C updraft all have the elbows. This carb is easily the nicest one I own. Looks like it will just need to be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled. I hope I can get it running soon.

thanks for the help with the spark plugs.

18. Here I am trying to find two of the elbow style for my pair of BB's. Too each his own.

Hitchhiker, glad to see your making progress.

19. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I really dig the direction you are going with this pickup. Very, very cool project.

20. Well, some times we just can't! :D

Looks good with the new carb! :cool:

21. Almost....

Attached Files:

22. Looking good!

23. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Good see your moving forward that carb is a nice pickup
    Dans gears are great you will never break them
    If you ever want to sell that +3 deg gear I will be interested they are very handy
    Colin

24. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

This is looking so good!! I'm really hating my 94 now and want a Winfield!!!! All the cool kids are running them!!!

25. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hey....and I just saw that you scored that sweet ass F1!!! That's BEAUTIFUL!!!! Must be something in the air because I just got one too!! Mines a '48 and should have it on the road in a couple of weeks. It's not pretty like yours though!!

26. thanks!

thanks, I am pretty happy with the carb! Its very nice.

Hahaha, It's a bad addiction....

Thanks dude! Mines a 48 too. It looks nice in pictures, but it is really a 20 footer. Makes a great work truck!

27. I'm thinking maybe a shorter plug? Or is that good? This is a 1/2 inch reach ngk.

Attached Files:

28. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya nice truck ... bad ass build.....

29. Crush gasket installed? If so, then you're going to need a 3/8" reach plug - which makes sense, as there were far more 3/8" reach plugs available "back then" than 7/16 & 1/2".