Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 3 window HighBoy Build Begins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geoking, Dec 12, 2012.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It's Alive! It's Alive!

2. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I'll see you next week at GNRS, George.

3. ezdusit

ezdusit

George,
    The coupe looks fabulous! Congratulations on a memorable build. Thanks for sharing the good and the bad. And now, win lots of awards!

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

WOW WOW WOW, Spectacular!

5. daddio211

daddio211

6. Congratulations on the getting her running George!!

7. geoking

geoking

Thank you everyone.
    But,... I have some bad news. For unknown reasons our running 392 died yesterday afternoon. The circuit board in the MSD distributor fried a component. Now...no spark. We believe we have a replacement disty for our pick up at 7 in the morning. My wife is meeting the warehouse operations manager and going to drive it up to Loveland. We have no idea why it went poof ???????

I am going to run down a back up in case we have something causing a voltage spike. WE HAVE TO HAVE HER RUNNING FOR THE SHOW!

If anyone has experienced this failure, I would love to hear about it.

In the mean time, all else is about buttoned up. The last build item is the pin stripe which is only happening tonight. I will post a pic as soon as received.

Here are two updated pictures of the coupe with her seat and hood.
    Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

8. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

The MSD No. 8389 with magnetic pickup is prone to failure due to voltage spikes or bad grounds. Not sure if MSD will repair it or not.

9. geoking

geoking

I have good grounding.... but no clue on the spike? I dont even care about buying another one. BUT ..if it isnt reliable...I will have to do something else.
    George

10. geoking

geoking

OK, figured out the spike problem. Low battery charge and a high output alternator (120 amp Power Master) equal SPIKE! Toast one disty printed circuit board. It was not MSD's issue, but mine.

All we have to do to be reliable is 1. charge the battery, and 2. add a MSD 8830 filter to the 12 volt input.... TA DA and we will be good to go!

Ummm, PLUS A NEW DISTY as no time to have mine repaired.

Bill Lathrop sent me pictures of the finished perimeter tonight... please see attached.
    Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

11. Wow, every thing looks great George. I'm sure all this hard work will pay off for you and the crew. Only wish I could make the trip. Enjoy yourselves.

dave

12. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

George: I've followed from the beginning. Nice coupe. I'm not sure if you're retired or still working or what your field of work is, but if you've never pursued a career as a project manager, YOU SHOULD. You've done an excellent job keeping things on track and hunting down very unique parts and pieces that really make this car pop. I love the paint color and I love the injection scoops/air cleaners being used as part of the display. Congratulations on an amazing car!

13. geoking

geoking

Thanks Denver Dave. Much appreciated.

Tim,
    My wife says that the coupe is my mistress. I have really enjoyed the process. A lot of good effort from a lot of great people and friends. I am very appreciative of your following the build.
    Simply said. Thanks!
    George

Oh and by the way.....she is up and running again. She sounds nice and will be tuned up, detailed , pin striped and loaded by morning! I will get Josh to send me a couple of more pictures to share.

14. geoking

geoking

15. geoking

geoking

Attached Files:

16. daddio211

daddio211

17. geoking

geoking

18. Amen Brother! I know how you feel.

19. fatkoop

fatkoop

Finally! There for a while I was just hoping it wouldn't fry another distributor. Good going ya all! Car looks great, engine runs, life is good. Have a great time and good luck at the show! See ya when you get back.

20. loudbang

loudbang

Awesome now it sounds as great as it looks.

21. rexrogers

rexrogers

A little clean up this morning and load her up and head out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. palat

palat

The red accent stripe both on the tires and the body look awesome George.
    Nice work indeed!

23. daddio211

daddio211

24. fryguy

fryguy

Very nice looking Coupe. Attention to detail is outstanding. The motor choice is top notch.

Fryguy

25. geoking

geoking

Daddio,

Please make sure to find us and say hello.

Dan and Fryguy, Thank you!

The team pulled out of Loveland today on the 1000 plus mile drive to Pomona. Dustin volunteered to take the first turn at the wheel and got the crew (and the coupe) safely through the mountains. His turn ended at Grand Junction. Josh is now behind the wheel and he will drive until they feel like it's been long enough. There is no need to push as they have plenty of time.
    Please find the attached picture of the ultra talented crew with the coupe before loading her up this morning. ( credit for the picture goes to Dan Greenberg)
    From left to right kneeling is John, Josh and Fred .From left to right standing is Lance, Dustin (AKA Dexter), and The crew chief "Rex Rogers".

Thank you guys!
    Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

26. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Awesome, now show it, then drive it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. geoking

geoking

Definitely going to drive it!
    The guys made it to the Fairplex mid afternoon today.
    The check in slot is 10-12 tomorrow morning. We are in building 7 , space 314 if anyone wants to say hello.

We thought of everything but......a vacuum cleaner! The rental carpet provided is pretty sad. We went to Lowes and picked up a canister vac PLUS a pair of scissors to trim the edges. So now I get to add a little house keeping to the detailing. Most folks are using straight up concrete! Grin

There was an accident today and someone was injured when an entrants car "apparently" had it's throttle stick and ran over someone. This is third hand and the only detail I could garner was that he was conscious and lucid. Also third hand was that he was going to be air lifted to a hospital . I wish them the best!

Building 9 was filling up with all kinds of record setting race cars and I was enlisted to help PUSH the SoCal car into the building and down the hall to its space. Three old farts (my self being one) were out of breath while lots of folk watched. My good nature just had the best time WATCHING three youngsters push a dragster in by themselves a little while later. Those nice young men watched us push without a thought. Ha! Grin

By 5 pm there was a very long line of folks scheduled to get their cars set up. We will go early in the am to hopefully not have to be at the back of the line.

We are very excited to be here and looking forwarded to tomorrow's set up.

Regards,
    George

QUOTE=JasonCarGuy;9489843]Awesome, now show it, then drive it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App![/QUOTE]

28. redzula

redzula

I heard about that via Facebook here is the pic they posted as well as an article about it. Sucks about the car worse that someone was injured. Be safe while you're out there.

http://blogs.hotrod.com/tragedy-104161.html#axzz2r9tW5Nbe
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390450567.029055.jpg

On a lighter note your coupe looks awesome and just being able to push the SoCal car would have made my trip. Have fun!

29. PetesJunk

PetesJunk

Good Luck at the Show, George. Have fun.

30. redzula

redzula

Speaking of the show how's it going?