Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford’s 2.0/2.3/2.5 litre engine family guide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenneth S, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ja37

If you are not a member on turboford.org join there and post in the parts wanted section. There are a lot of people there that are putting the 2.3 turbo engines in Pintos and taking the 2.0 engines out.

2. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

X2

BTW none of the Pinto 2.0 EAO engine parts (which is made by Ford in Germany) will interchange with the 2.3 Lima engine which is made in Ford's Lima Ohio engine plant.

3. How about carbs for the 2.0 EAO. I have the Edelbrock 2x1 and a stock manifold. I've read about the Edebrock not performing well and that the stock manifold with a Holley 350cfm works better. I was wondering if anyone has first hand input for carburetion, keeping in mind that it needs to fit under the hood of a '28 Model A.

I was also thinking about the stock manifold with a large base Rochester Vs a Holley 350 cfm.

4. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Outside a dual side draft Weber setup, the stock 2.0 EAO intake flows better than any other intake manifold. I ran a Holley 350cfm 2bbl with an adaptor plate, it ran so much better, and got better gas mileage than the stock Weber progressive 2bbl. The Holley 350 2bbl is the best hp gain for your buck modification, and it should fit a Model A hood with no problems.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Along these lines... has anyone here has been taking notice of the new 2015 Mustang I-4 motor? Or the Ford new crate I-4s? Gary

6. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Too new for the H.A.M.B, also you can't very easy to put a carb, and a distributor on it.

7. I have a Holley 350 cfm I could use on my 73 Pinto Squire with the 2.0 but it is part of the tri-power on my 32. Should I do this?:confused:

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You could use temporarily, or look around on ebay for remanufactured one (that's what I did).

9. Thanks.

My question was kinda tongue in cheek. No way will I be dismantling my Sedan to make the Pinto run better. Gotta fix the knocking rod first anyway.

10. lorodz

lorodz

I got a fresh and completely rebuilt 2.3 out of.my coupster for sale runs strong and hard ..I'd like to sell the motor complete with header , intake manifold for a 2 barrel, distributor, duraspark ignition. All for $700.00 pick it up is best.pm me for any info

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Small addition, here's a 2.3 T5 mated to the EAO 2.0 motor.

[​IMG]

12. ca

ca
    from SoCal

i have a Ford Duraspark electronic blue grommett conversion setup for the 2.0 EAO that i've been thinking of parting with if you still need one. i might have an extra tensioner stashed away in a box.
    i'm a longtime lurker but haven't posted much on the HAMB and was looking on the net for a place to sell off some 2.0 projects parts that i haven't had time to complete and need money for other projects and found this thread. i have a 74 Capri with a 2.0 and started hoarding parts about 10 years back cause they were getting hard to find and expensive.
    let me know and i'll PM you my phone number.

13. I'm looking for a 2.0 short block, rebuilt or rebuildable. Will take a complete engine if necessary. I'm in Mesa AZ for the Winter.

14. lorodz

lorodz

Got a real nice 2.3 for sale with all the dura spark parts, clutch intake

15. I saw that and would love to grab it but getting it into a 73 Pinto is a pain.

16. lorodz

lorodz

Really thoif ht it was the same block. I got the motor mounts and all to go with it ..

17. ca

ca
    from SoCal

yeah, but then you have an engine that's a LOT heavier and won't get the power or mileage of the 2.0.:D
    the 2.3 was a poor copy of the Euro designed 2.0 and i love both of those engines and have had many of both. still have parts for both
    the 2.3 parts are getting as scarce as the 2.0 parts here in the States but parts for the 2.0 are easier to get IF you know where to look because they are still being used in racers more than the 2.3 anymore. still a great selection of stock parts available in England/Europe as well.

18. ca

ca
    from SoCal

i sent you a PM on the block. have some other parts you may be interested in before i put all of this stuff on Ebay.
    i've seen the 2.0 EAO used in some older style hotrods as a replacement for the original 4 banger in my area but didn't know that they were used as much as i've found.

19. lorodz

lorodz

I found every single repro part to rebuild this motor at autozone and every part fit and works perfectly I have videos posted to prove they work very well as far as cam and performance parts enslinger and a bunch of other places have readily parts available. ..

20. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Here in Texas 2.3's are still in abundance.

21. In NC even the turbo engines are still readily available. Last year I bought a nice running and driving Turbo Coupe, 5 turbo engines, one spare T5 and several turbos for $1,000.

22. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Edit 7/9/2014: Want more valve lift with a stock roller cam?? The setup is to use a 95+ Rocker Arm (1.86" ratio) with a 89-94 Roller Cam (0.2381" lobe lift). This will give you a valve lift of 0.443"! If you have an 89-94 2.3L, you will have to widen the valve stem ends (0.2750") of the 95+ rockers to fit the 0.343" valve stems.

23. Ken do you have a picture of the mod to the rockers? I am having trouble visualizing the mod.

24. Phil1934

Phil1934

Here's a pic, but i would want you to measure from the adjuster to the roller on early and late before committing as only way to change ratio would be to make this shorter so roller no longer dead center over top of cam. http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/2300Cams.html

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  25. Anyone have any experience with either a draw through turbo set-up or a small super charger set-up on the pintos. I say draw through because, I want to run a carb and have no room for an intercooler. I've been looking at the M45 superchargers but I'm just starting to learn about both. I want some more power without sacrificing MPGs, if I go too far with an N/A motor then I'll be close to a stock ohv V8 mpg wise and at that point would be better.

26. turbonotch

turbonotch

Most draw-through setups I have seen are some derivative of the FACTORY draw through on 1979-1982 turbo 2.3L. They are probably a good starting point for a new build. I owned one briefly and I was not impressed with the factory performance of that setup. But bear in mind that I was pulling it out to replace it with the 500-600hp aluminum headed, blow-through EFI 2.3L motors I was building at the time.

I have also seen draw through setups using a junkyard Eaton off a V6 Supercoupe, but I don't know how it performed.

I do now there was one guy running fast with draw through... his car was nicknamed 'snoopstang'. Best i can recall, he modified a factory draw-through setup with a 390cfm 4 barrel and a larger turbo. I believe he probably was making ~300hp and then he would add about 200hp of nitrous on top of that... which in a ~2000# car put him into the low, low 11s.

27. turbonotch

turbonotch

A quick google of 'snoopstang' turned up a bunch of his stuff... but look carefully because he may have changed setups. Be sure you are looking at information from his draw-through setup in the 90s(?).

28. I was hoping around 250-280hp nothing too wild (from the German 2.0), a'28 tudor is light and with a banjo rear. I was reading about N/A 2.1 and 2.2 motors. I've read about the stock 2.3 turbo being lack luster, I've driven a 3.8 super charged T-Bird and it was an ok stocker.

The AK Miller kits/Spearco kits/Accel kits for the EOA 2.0 were limited to around 5-7 psi boost (I think) and were built for a stock motor. I wonder how much power they would make on a mild built motor. A turbo would be a better fit under the hood, but the draw through turbo set-up isn't getting good reviews when I read posts.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.