Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-1960 Dodge/Fargo/DeSoto Truck only picture thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemiken, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Chips.

Chips.

Thanks Hemiken.
    This is a great thread.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hey, Now worries mate.
    Look forward to see what your new truck is.

3. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

I think that's a 1-ton...2-tons had larger wheels (19.5 vs. 16) and front fender flares :cool:

4. Robin93

Robin93

MY 58 D300 ,need fenders, also wanting to change the front axel to get a more common bolt pattern (trying to keep it simple first build)

Attached Files:

5. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Neat Truck, i would hazzard a guess that one of the guys here can let you on as to what front end you could swap in to it to change the stud pattern, surely you guys have a smaller series truck I-beam that is a 5 bolt pattern.

6. Moparguy85

Moparguy85

Hey guys just got my '57 weekend from South Carolina. I am the third owner, could use help on parts and any tips.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got it home and in the garage.
    [​IMG]

7. Looks really solid nice buy Congrats!!

8. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

That's a complete looking '57. Nice! Give us some more info on it if you will. What size engine, tranny, etc. Does it run? What are your plans? Keep it original, lower it, bigger engine, etc? Good luck with your build, you've come to the right place for information and help.
    Steve-

9. porky55

porky55

I just picked up this 51 yesterday.anyone know how much of a difference there is in the front fenders on the big trucks compared to the 1/2 tons. The fenders seem to have huge openings.

Sent using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

10. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Sweet seeing another 57 on here. If you look back a page there is pretty much all the repro-parts there is out there for these 57's, Though yours looks pretty complete except the door locks and D and O on the front. Get to know Ebay real well if you dont already, for these trucks that about the only way to find those kind of parts.

And I dont know if you like it or not, but the tire mounted to the bed side always bugged me, these also came mounted under the bed from the factory thats how my 57 is. and the Rear fenders are reproduced in fiberglass and they were used from 1953-1985 so they are pretty easy to come by. http://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com/page37.html …... A lot cleaner option here is mine:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  11. v8juice

v8juice

those tires look bald:D:D

12. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

yeah they didn't last long… about 2 years she's my daily driver too. :D

13. Fargo52

Fargo52
    from Manitoba

The fenders are huge , there is a guy in Calgary that moved the front fenders in and added to the rear 1/2ton box fender and put it all on a 1/2 ton Dakota frame it looked sweet , I will try to find pictures ,I think he removed 1.5" out of the front fenders ?

14. Fargo52

Fargo52
    from Manitoba

15. porky55

porky55

Thanks Fargo52 I've been watching your progress. I'm going to try and splice the Dakota frame to the front of a 58 frame I have laying around.

Sent from my MB886 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Fargo52

Fargo52
    from Manitoba

Check your dakota frame there is an area where the Dakota transitions from the front boxed area to the rear C frame it's a perfect area to marry up the old and new frame , using the old rear portion of the frame you won't have to modify the truck box bed area .the only issue is ride height if you want to slam it to the ground you can't unless you make more mods to the rear axle area of the frame , my 52 pickup is lowered 3" by removing some of the springs and it never bottoms out.

17. Moparguy85

Moparguy85

It was originally from S.C. First owner died, and was bought at Estate auction. Engine is 230 flat 6, 3spd on the tree with overdrive, interior dome light, 7-1/4 ft bed, second paint job(rattle can)

Well, first it's going to be a slow project with my wife wanting to learn, but finding a old 392, tremic 5spd, change front suspension, stagger wheel set up with 15's or 16's, add a/c, tuck and rolled interior, probably do door panels similar to MoparJoel's but different, wife wants the color to be a mopar color and I am thinking possibly a candy Burgundy.

But I am planing to have the original 230 flat 6 running again for Carlisle All Chrysler show in July. The second owner had it running before, hoses just dry rotted so he pull all fluids and hoses, and needs brakes done. Will post more pictures later this week/weekend.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  18. Robin93

Robin93

I see you have a set of rotors on the front, did these bolt on an what are they off of?,this looks like a good way to go with my 58 D300.

19. senone

senone
    from Belgium

Loving that front end!!! Fits the body perfectly!!!!

20. Ghostrider1

Ghostrider1

Saw the truck on CL. Good buy! I am restoring a 57 and have some extra trim around.

21. Moparguy85

Moparguy85

Hey any one have a good pair of hood springs? I only have one the other is missing

22. Ghostrider1

Ghostrider1

Yes, I do. I know I have a single for sure, not sure if I have 2. PM me and we can work out something.

23. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Those disc rotors i have on my front axle are off an Australian Valiant, which is the same as American A-body Mopar, so i guess a rotor from an Dodge or Plymouth A-body should be successful over in America as a conversion, you will have to make up your own adaptors for the callipers to fit is all. :D

24. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hey thanks, i have plans to fit a 46-48 DeSoto grille in it from a passenger car, the grille has just laded in Australia and is on it way to my place via courier in a few weeks time. :cool:

25. Robin93

Robin93

still new to these trucks, does anybody know the firing order for the 58 315ci and on the cap where #1 plug goes,or will I just need to find tdc on #1, getting some popping out of the carb,somebody else has done the wires and points, seams like a couple of wires might be wrong,or the timing is off. Thanks Robin, also still looking for front fenders if any body might have some leads,I have checked all the sites that I could find so far.

26. Ghostrider1

Ghostrider1

Here is a pic of the firing order. Hope it helps out!

27. Robin93

Robin93

I can't see the pic( can you email me @ [email protected] thanks

28. Ghostrider1

Ghostrider1

Robin,

I have been away from the computer today. Just sent you an email.

29. spankster

spankster

Couple of Dodge Wreckers, I used to own. 1950 Dodge, Holmes 525 Wrecker, & 1951 Dodge COE, Holmes 525 Wrecker, 116210806xwRdKR_ph.jpg

116220066jSMhsx_ph.jpg

30. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I am loving those COE's more and more i see them.