Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the go to Electric Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wegortw, Jan 19, 2014.

1. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

Getting the truck closer to running, but needing a replacement electric External fuel pump. The one currently on it is a Walbro 12v2401 and now days it's replaced by a newer model but a bit pricey for it in the $150+ price range plus all the listed replacement models either don't seem to exist or just as pricey.

Is there a cheaper replacement model that can be found at the local auto parts store or Amazon?

12 volts
    4-7 psi
    20+ gph

Truck - 56 Chevy 3600 / on 76 Blazer with BB V8 454 4bbl carb and a keg for a fuel tank

2. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I have had good luck with the Carter universal pumps in the past. They run around $80 or so and hold up real well.

3. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

bought an in line for 35.00 ---runs silent, car runs 12's no issues---even ran an 11.76 with it...

4. Ruiner

Ruiner

I've got a Posi Flo inline pump from Napa on my pickup, it was around $50...I haven't had an issue with it yet, but I've been told that I should go buy a spare to keep with me just in case...

5. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

Red or blue holley,carter,you get what you pay for!

6. Fenders

Fenders

I had a Carter P4070, ran well but was loud... swapped it for an airtex E8318 in-line (4.5# max). Nice and quiet.

PM me if you want to buy the noisy used Carter :D

FYI some here use the airtex E8012S which is a bit higher pressure (9#max).....

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

A fuel pump isn't something to skimp on, unless you buy a few spares and keep them in the trunk.

I like the Facet cylinder style. If it's good enough for airplanes, it's good enough for me.

8. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

How important is it to stick to the GPH and PSI specs of the old pump? As I am seeing them range quite a bit.

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Carburetor determines PSI, right foot determines GPH. :rolleyes:

10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Agreed, I've had very good luck with the Carter pumps over the years and several cars that I've put them on.
    No failures.

I just installed one (7psi version) on the frame of my latest...to be my daily driver 54, Stude wagon yesterday. Got it all plumbed from the tank to the regulator on the fenderwell.

Mike

11. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

x2.

12. davidh73750

davidh73750

What is the length of the holley blue pump? trying to find a spot for the 58 chevy wagon, horse shoe rear end and x frame got me scratching my head space is tight.

13. I have been running A Carter for Many years a Great Pump if its too Loud
    turn the Radio up
    at least you know its working

Just my 3.5 cents

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd get a separate regulator to set the pressure. Most the pumps with specified pressure ratings don't really run at those ratings and can cause flooding issues when they go higher than the carb float needle can handle.

15. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

Figured out it's a Edelbrock 1404 500cfm carb and from what I have found like 4-6psi but shouldn't exceed 6.5psi on the fuel pump.

If I have found a pump that is 3-7psi should this work or is that .5 going to cause harm?

16. aaggie

aaggie

I like the Holley red pumps for your application and you can get repair kits. Follow directions when mounting any electric pump.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, the extra pressure will cause the pump to push fuel past the needle seat. It's better to be too low, and I regulate all mine down to around 4.5 lbs. It's much safer, and never starves for fuel. Even twin 600's on my 464BBC don't run out at 4.5 lbs. pressure.

18. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yep...agreed.
    For the 25 dollar cost (plus gauge and fittings), the requlator is cheap insurance.

Beside, like was mentioned, I've yet to see a 7psi pump put out 7psi... Normally more like 8 or 8-1/2psi.

As far as noise...use lots a rubber as insulation.

Mike

19. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

I decided to disassemble the Walbro just to take a look and found the bellow had deteriorated into black tar and was clogging up the bowl. So to save a few bucks I found a rebuild kit and going to give it a shot.

I am actually pretty impressed with the quality of these old pumps, very well made other than the plastic bit.

20. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

So anyone know how to rebuild a bellows fuel pump?

With mine melting apart and no good detailed parts diagram to go by, my first attempt at rebuild put out very low flow or any pressure. After looking at the old gasket it appeared that the bellow went right up against the gasket (not sure if on purpose or not), so on the 3rd reassembly attempt I put the bellow through the washer into the bowl. Now it doesn't seem like the top-end will mount without some squeeze.

So know the right way to do this?

Parts Diagram
    [​IMG]

First Build
    [​IMG]

Build 3
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  21. fatkoop

fatkoop

I've had Carter pumps on 3 or 4 cars for over 20 years, never had a problem. They're a little loud but it's worth it.

22. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

Guess I should start a new thread on rebuilding pumps?

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

OP:

If you want a decent pump, I used a pump from a ford PU. Mounts outside of tank, does about 5psi, & is fairly cheap. Was used for the throttle body injection, years ~ '80 or so, IIRC. Another one, was from a 80's Cad (?). Same deal, very quiet, & oddly enough, cheap. *Might* have the part# on the pump yet, if you're interested. PM me if you want me to look. Worked very well w/a 2bbl carb on my old '64 Stude Cruiser, was a non-return-line type. Did use a regulator, just to make sure. Never gave me a lick of trouble.

Marcus...

24. stimpy

stimpy

IIRC on some of the marine ones we rebuilt we used 2 studs to hold everything in alignment then pushed down on the cap and secured the screws as the plunger was relaxed with the power off and pushed up against the cap .

25. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

So from underneath like in pic 1 or you saying pic 3?

26. jesse1980

jesse1980

Holly blue pump would be my choice

27. After reading this I bought a 6v electric fuel pump today for my 1950 Pontiac. It has a I8 flathead. All the wiring diagrams I see calls for a oil pressure safety switch for it's power source. Anyone know of the best way for me to wire it so it comes on when I turn the car on? Not sure if it matters but my car has factory push button start.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Quiet, reliable (solenoid pump) and cheap...Airtex E8012S, 30GPH and 5-9psi. You can get another model that puts out 4-6 psi, but throw a regulator and gauge behind this one and there are no questions about pressure. I paid like $26 shipped after applying a rockauto.com coupon. It comes with the pre-filter, hoses, hose fittings, connectors. How much time can you save not having to track that piddly crap down? You cannot hear these running.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=293410

Attached Files:

29. stimpy

stimpy

no real need to turn it on when starting the car unless the bowl is dry, you could wire it to a seperate prime button that goes to the ignition switch circuit to prime the carb if it sat for a while before cranking it up and then keep the oil pressure switch as the main safety circuit , as it will protect your motor if pressure drops to dangerous limits and also if you get in a accident hopefully your motor will die and then the line wil only have a small amount of fuel in it instead of pumping out the tank . modern car used the ecm to do the priming by running it for the 5 seconds then looks for a ignition or timign signal to switch the pump on .