Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. 63Compact

63Compact

Great thread Geoff nice to see the coupe out again.

Gary the Roadster is looking good.

Jeff leave it unchopped and fendered!

2. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Well the water pump arrived on Tuesday. So when I got back from making my donation at the blood bank after work. I began pulling the old waterpump off. Unfortunately something happened that I was hoping wouldn't. I broke a couple of the bolts. I was being so careful, but the front of a windsor is a crazy design, more so because of the small size of some of the bolts in relation so their length. Anyhow a job that was only going to be a couple of hours has turned into a much longer undertaking. Because now I needed to remove the radiator to drill out and then tap the holes that I broke the bolts in.
    So I got a heap done tonight and fortunately I was able to take tomorrow and Friday off. As I am headed to Rita and Tony's on Friday.
    All going well I will have the coupe all back together by lunch time tomorrow.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Good luck with it all....Jeff

4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks Jeff.
    Well all went well. I took the coupe for a run up the highway around noon. The temp looked good ( although I never had the hood on ), so I suspect it will run a few degrees higher when I put the hood back on. When I returned from my run up the highway I checked for leaks and looked for anything coming out the overflow. It all checked out OK and when it cooled I removed the radiator cap and only had to add a little coolant.
    So I put the hood back on and was all finished at around 12.40.
    The rest of the day I will get all my gear together and packed in the coupe for the trip to Rita and Tony's tomorrow!.
    This first shot is with the waterpump fitted. I showed a shot in my previous post that was virtually the same, but at that stage I was going through a prefit routine. That way I have no hidden surprizes when I have gasket sealer on surfaces and are ready to go, as it were. I tend to be very methodical and careful.

[​IMG]

There was a minor repair I needed to do on the radiator. The bracket on the top tank, that the firewall braces bolt to had a crack in it. So it was out with the TIG and a quick weld fix. I spent more time getting the TIG out and set up; than I did doing the actual weld.

[​IMG][​IMG]

With that out of the way it was onto bolting everything back up.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With everything back and tight on the engine and the radiator fitted. It was time to fill the cooling system. I let it sit for a while after filling checking for any leaks. There were no leaks, so I started the engine and let it sit idling for a while. Still not leaks, so I bolted the grille shell on and went for my run up the highway!

[​IMG]

The coupe has a much nicer smile with the grille shell back on.

Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  5. ABONEDEUCE

ABONEDEUCE
    from australia

IT was good to see you coupe again at port fairy geoff and to catch up for a chat with you . Thanks again for helping me with the starter on the Cusso it didnt let me down on the way home so thanks again. remember i told you i dont post anything on here? oh first time for everything. talk soon jason

6. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I just drove in the driveway an hour ago.
    After a great weekend in Port Fairy, where myself and a number of Rita and Tony's friends and family had a memorable time.
    I sincerely want to thank Rita and Tony, for what they do for us all when we are there. So I thought I would do something different; just to say how much I personally would like to thank them.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG]

7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hi Jason. It was good to see you after so long and to meet your boy ( Bailey )
    No dramas re helping you. That is what it is all about, helping and learning from one an other.
    I won't say much more as I plan on doing a number of posts about the weekend in the next couple of weeks.
    Geoff aka whodaky

8. davo461

davo461

Nice one, Geoff

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I have just been going through my images of the weekend. I forgot I took this one. We really did have some interesting discussions on the night of the seminar. It was really cool as we had soft impromtu mood music playing in the background, with Ben Caleja on guitar and Mick Beljan on the drums.
    Lets just say you had to be there. There were hoodlums and their hot rods everywhere!
    Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Geoff, It was great to catch up on this project and see you in Port Fairy.

11. Not really sure where to start or what to say but I had a great weekend in Port Fairy and I haven't enjoyed myself like that for a long time, thanks to everyone and Whodaky it was great chatting with you on Saturday night I really appreciate it, Tony your shed is just the best and to be honest I'm still over whelmed by everything and especially seeing the last grasp in person as well sitting in Geoff's new 32 coupe, once again thanks to everyone. Take care and talk soon.

Garyd...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Sorry I also forget to mention that I really appreciated Frank and his wife allowing me to come over and see the coupe as well as have a great lunch, thanks allot it meant a great deal to me.

Garyd...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

:)Hi Geoff,The 3 W looks great in the last pic.. nice clean up.....Thanks again for the 32 Experience..Jeff

14. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Just got home from Gary's where we were doing some work on the Austin drag car. I took a few images but haven't uploaded them yet.
    Hey Simon, it has been quite a while since our pathes have crossed. It's always good to see in person something that you have only seen images of, or read about.
    Garyd it was a pleasure to meet you and your family. I am so glad you had such a good time. I knew you would, it's hard not to when you get to hang out in Tony's garage. It's even better with all the people and hots rods there also.
    I am sure you are well and truly inspired to perhaps think about another hot rod build.
    Garyd I hope I didn't talk to much, but I had a lot to say.
    Jeff I spent 20 minutes in the last hour at Rita and Tony's before I left for home, wet rubbing the sign writing on the door off. It is amazing the difference it made to the look of the coupe. I actually think the black rims and black wall tyres really look neat now.
    I am glad you enjoyed the experience of steering my old coupe down to the show and shine.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

15. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

As for the 3 W Sometimes less=more,The drive of the 32 just makes me want to finish my project sooner.Thanks again Jeff

16. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Geoff, I had a good time with my friends and that the weekend we spend together was so good that I cant wait till next year as I am hoping we can get the chassis rolling and more body work done on the grasp.I would like to thank everybody that helped me on the projects and to clean the shed before everybody showed up, and also to Tommy Flat head and my wife for all the cooking that fantastic food. And also I am glad that Geoff showed up to make the gang complete. Gary glad you like all the gang and welcome to our hotrod family.

17. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

I had a blast, very special on many levels. The chance to be immersed in a hot rod environment speaking hot rod and truly connecting with like minded people was very special for me. I made allot of new friends, caught up with old ones and have set my young man on his path to appreciate what we love. Of course this was all done in the presence of the Grasp, the creation of which allows all of us to enjoy this thread!

Thanks Tony and Geoff.:cool:

18. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Tony we all had the best time. As I said ,we all thank Rita and yourself for throwing open you wonderful home to make this happen.
    You and I have memorable weekends when I come down to work on our 3W. But when one is down there and there are hot rods surrounding your home and there are so many like minded people hanging out there, then one can be assured of a great and memorable time also.
    Tom it was great to see Ethan and yourself and of course your coupe. I know this was a very special thing for you having your coupe there. Tony has been a big part in your life and has been your hot rod mentor. That weekend we all got to see Tommy Flathead, the true hot rodder.
    I took over 250 images on this weekend. I am still uploading images and putting words together for a number of posts about the weekend. So we will get to relive it a bit when I get it all done!

Below is a shot taken out at Carol and Frank's

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

PS MY champ quickchange gets delivered this morning.

19. hey guys, had a ball hanging out with you guys last weekend. got me inspired to get stuck into my projects. Geoff thanks for the drive in the 5w, i'll be sure to throw you the keys when i finally finish my RPU. Tony, thank you and Rita for your hospitality back at your house, it was great just sitting around an yappin' 'bout old cars and stuff. Tommyflathead very nice to meet you and have a closeup look at that bitchin' coupe. Everybody else that Tony and Geoff introduced me to, it was nice meeting you too (even though i may have forgotten your names, i'm terrible like that sorry). again it was a great weekend, thank you all. can't wait for next year, for now tho i'm off to another car show for the day.

20. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Mitch;
    I look forward to the day your rpu is going and I get to drive it. I hope before then that we can come and lend a hand in it's build.
    I'm glad you enjoyed driving my worn out old coupe. I knew it would be very inspiring for you.
    Hanging out in Tony's garage just talking and meeting so many people is great. We all learn from each other in so many ways.
    Don't worry about not remembering peoples names. We all do that, but we generally remember the faces and the hots rods.
    I enjoyed wandering around the show and shine with you.

Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  21. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Tony I was only 2 years old in '59. But you may remember this coupe from way back then.
    Sorry mate I couldn't help myself.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

22. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's one for Brant aka jaws

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

23. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Dammmmnnnnnn

Ohh I mean

Shhhhiiitttttttttttttttt!!!!

24. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Sharpen you scissors boys -

Time for a haircut

25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    We have the technology, as basic as it needs to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Geoff aka whodaky

26. JAWS

JAWS

27. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Haircut......Im in..........

28. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

It's about time the Lowlids hot rod shop is opened for business again we start at 4'' and work our way down. Glad to see you guys are coming around to our way of thinking, Geoff and I both know the lower the lid the less wind drag on your hot rod and the faster the ride.........

29. Nice

30. JAWS

JAWS

Im going to ask a really obvious question that I am sure begs no explanation. Why the fenders on fenderless rods? I know the answer, I think....no I am sure I do, but just in case...