Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects JACK ASS BUYERS. ..Another disapointing day spent with a "builder" Lol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Kelly, you know me, and I was in the car business for 41 years. I took deposits ( the non refundable kind ) on cars I didn't have in stock, 1/3 was the normal. If the customer didn't want to agree to that, and not many did, I'd call them if I got something in. But on the cars I had sitting on the lot, no deposit, no BS. Come back with the money and the car is yours, until then, it's for sale. If you've got something good ( and I know you do ) it'll sell.
    Hope to see you in your usual spot at Jefferson.

Don

2. Thanks Don, I was really hoping to thin the herd. Jeanne's brain tumor has had a big impact on us both. After being self employed in the Hot Rod business for 18 years I have decided to help Jeanne focus on supplementing her disability income with the Hot Rod parts end, put my shop on hold and do it as a hobby for a while. At nearly 60 years old I entered the job market and was hired by an auto group as their official photographer for their 5 dealerships to photograph their new and used vehicles and company events...A pretty cushy job for an grizzly old hot rod guy..We are still hoping to get on the road with the vend trailer this summer but on limited basis at this point....I planned that when I sold the convert I could buy me an econo box with the cash..But.. The dick head put an end to that plan and Driving a Super Duty 38 miles to work aint cheap!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. My prayers are with you and Jeanne as you face the challange ahead. Family first, I know you will do a great job on your new adventure in the auto business, best of luck in that and in life.
    Hope to see both of you again real soon. E-mail some pics of the convert and some specs. and I'll spread it around. [email protected].

Don

4. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

You made a house payment with $350? I gotta move to Tennessee!!!

5. luke13

luke13

ya should have sniffed him then told him he was full of sh!t.

6. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

sorry for your luck, cant count on anybody nowadays. I would have done the same as you, given him half, because that speaks for YOU giving it and not for HIM asking for it.

I took a truck to a "friend" for some collision work last year and he bent my brand new hood and said it came that way, even though I was there when he unpacked it, painted the fender and bedside a different color than the rest of the truck, left a 2 inch gap around the headlight/corner light, footprints on the interior including the headliner, quoted me a week and took 16 weeks, and charged me full price. said he did exactly what I asked for and didnt care if I told anyone. so I am.

PM me for the shop name if you are in Wichita.

7. Joshua614

Joshua614

Yeah I would have kept the deposit all day long .

8. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

I just received a $500 deposit on a truck and two weeks later was to get another 800-1000 depending on his check. Guy calls me and tells me his check was short, no problem. I figured he would drop off 400-800 bucks..... Guy bailed completely, not a cent!

Im surprised you waisted that much time with him and gave him some cash back, your a better man than most. Karma will bring it around and take care of you!

9. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

When you are kid, you are told of something called a 'grown up'. You later reach a point in life when you realize, with some dismay, that a large portion of people even in their 70's and 80's, never grew up.

10. If anyones interested here's the convert...I will consider an econo-box (HHR etc)+ cash ..[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Thanks Don I will try to get some fresh pictures of the 47 today and send them to you.. Thanks for your support some days a guy really needs it...Its a weird deal working for someone else after being self employed for 27 years..I thought the young guys would be disrespectful but in reality I think they see me as a father figure.. One calls me father time..its all about the beard....Kelly

12. COOP

COOP

Few years ago a friend of mine had advertised a sand buggy with a Toronado drive train in it. We live up in the middle of Mi. and some guy called from lower Ohio that supposedly owned a buggy shop. He was in love. They set a date, time, and price. The guy shows up pretty much on time, but immediatly starts trying to knock the price down. (even tho he had numerous pictures and a lengthly conversation.) When my friend wouldn't drop the price, this fellow acted as though he wasn't going to buy it, so my buddy sez " O K fine, it ain't for sale" He went in the house and slammed the door. He said the guy set in his drive for about 20 min. with his wife screaming at him. He finally left, and my buddy sold it the next weekend to someone else for a little more than he was asking the first time.Sometimes shit like this puts a smile on yer face.

13. Fenders

Fenders

All this worry about non refundable deposits, whether you can keep it, what to put in writing, etc, --- here's the solution:

You have a car for sale for $20K, the guy wants to give a 1K deposit...
    so what you give him in writing, with a copy signed by him for yourself, is this:

Option to purchase: In consideration of $1K received, Joe Blow has the right to purchase my 1932 Ford VIN xxx for $19K. This option expires at 12:00 noon on January 31 2014. Payment must be cash in full.

It is airtight, you have sold him a thing of value (the option) for $1K. Of course when he pays in full, you give him a vehicle receipt for the $19K.

14. metalman

metalman

Hmmm, a "nice" 47-48 convert for 35000. "Market's Flat". Guess he didn't watch B-J this week with nice Ford converts going in the 6 digit range.
    I've seen so 47-48 verts around 35K lately but I sure wouldn't put nice in the desription. Sorry you had to deal with this jerk.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The world is full of jerks................some days you have to wonder, are all of them answering my ad?

Frank

16. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

good googly moogly anyone who made a deposit then stood next to that car and didnt buy it needs their head examined.

17. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I guess you could have left a deposit all over his shoes....

18. G-man 32 ford 3w

G-man 32 ford 3w

Business is business , when a person gives a deposit down with the intent to buy an item or down payment, if he changes his mind, I would never give him the deposit back. Cause you have already turned down other offers. I was gonna say your a better man than I am, to give him half back. like all of us old school guys make a deal with a hand shake. It still means something. He was no man. Learn from this in the future you will know better. I always tell them to bring there wife with them, so they don't have to wait till they get home to ask her ifs it's ok to buy the car.

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Three weeks ago a fellow gave me a $100 deposit on a car I had for sale for $2250. We shook on it and I took it off the market, with the agreement that he'd pay me the full amount by the end of January. Today he brought me another $1000. When he brings the balance he gets the car, and I get one free space in the shed.

20. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

:confused: i bought a p o s coupster for a song on the net got it running and driving still needs alot but runs and drives. i put it back on the net C L to (r r for me) trade for a model a coupe body.Guy e mails me has a rough 30 coupe frame forty front and rear he would trade.
    I looked at pics lots of bad metal work would have to be redone completely,but i really want a coupe never had one always a sedan or roadster so i said i would trade. He call me and says would you really trade for my body? I told him i would trade even if he would do the traveling, no prob he said i will bring it sunday. got all my info and address and will call me sat to let me know when he would be here. no call sat. so went to shop sunday to start working on the pos try to de r r it, got shop warmed up phone rings. (quote) hey i have a meeting today cant make it would it be alright to bring it monday im off work.I say ok that is fine i will still trade but dont leave me hanging. checked my e mail yesterday eve after 8 emails and 5 phone calls here it is by email :rolleyes: MY WIFE WONT LET ME TRADE!

21. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

If I'm serious about buying a car (and I usually am) that's exactly what I do. Doesn't everybody? ;)

22. ned5049

ned5049

doinbad, That guy was at least honest when it came to his wife not letting him deal. That happens a lot although they won't admit it. I've been dealing with a guy here who's wife is 100% behind him. What ever he wants, he can buy or trade. Makes life easier.:)

23. JACK ASS #2........ Is it possible that no one can finish a car anymore? Is everyone an arm chair hot rod builder?? I have the convert advertised else where also and have had a lot of calls from so called builders or experts...Including having to get shipping quotes to various parts of the country...These guys are thinking my time isn't worth anything..I love the can you get a quote to ship to my house, I will call you back tomorrow and never hear from the A hole again.I also had another fellow coming from out of state with a trailer last weekend, never to show and a few days later I get an e mail saying he changed his mind funny how he knew my phone# for information and could talk for hours about how talented a builder he was....Im ready to throw my hands up, add all this to Jeanne's health problem and my new job its almost not worth the aggravation ...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  24. Bent Wrench

Bent Wrench

Toy buyers are always fickle.

Most Craigslist buyers are flakes, lowballers, and scammers.

Ebayers expect cream of the crop but only want to pay for the bottom of the barrel.

Try Hemmings to advertise for a different class of ******** (buyers).

25. jesse1980

jesse1980

I wouldn't have gave him sh$t back. Deposits are non refundable where I come from. You could have lost a sale or two in the time you held the car for him.

26. midnightbluS10

midnightbluS10

IMHO, if it wasn't specifically expressed that the deposit was non-refundable, then he would have no reason to believe that it wasn't. And should fully expect an entire refund. Did you make certain to express that to the potential buyer?

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can relate to this story, I've had guys back out of a lot of deals over the years, and it was always at a time I needed the money the most. Easiest car sale I've ever had was one that sold on "That Auction Site" and went to Italy! Buyer handled all the pickup details and shipping. The rollback arrived within 15 minutes of the time he said would arrive. CONNECTICUT to ITALY, and the guy was within 15 minutes! I've had guys that were two towns away miss an arrival time by a few hours. Bob

28. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

This is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. By nature, deposits are non-refundable. Otherwise, what is the point behind leaving one at all?

Let me guess - you spend a lot of time in the return line at WalMart returning half eaten food and day old underwear.

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You need to learn something.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7375321_laws-used-car-deposit-refunds.html

30. Sorry for your hassles, but shipping quotes are ALWAYS the buyer's responsibility. Ensures no arguments down the line about that aspect...his shipper, his problem. If they can't find a shipper, how likely is it they're serious about it anyway?

Ya sound a lil cranky...'sOK, I think most of us are these days. Idiots like this guy don't make it any better.

GLWS