Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. post deleted

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. Sneaky Pete Robinson

[​IMG]

3. Surfers vs Big at Famosa 1965.

[​IMG]

4. fritzz

fritzz
    from canada

awesome thread!

5. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

I watched this competition sedan meet its end at Fontana, around '61 or '62, where this photo was taken. Originally a Bonneville car, the owners converted it for drag racing, with wire wheels as shown here. Beautiful car, candy orange paint, chrome, etc...but as they pushed down the push road towards the starting line the throttle stuck and the car crashed into a phone pole...was sickened to see such a beautiful car crushed, didn't stick around to see if the driver made it ok....

6. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]
    Think this has been posted somewhere on the HAMB, but worth repeating, maybe?

Bakersfield, around 1955, Tony Waters on the left, then Jimmy-powered, Pate Brothers on the left, car has been discovered and perfectly restored. Flathead vs GMC, don't know who won, but this is classic drag racing!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That looks like something Jim Lytle would have built (high quality).

8. noboD

noboD

That is incredible looking!

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

me and my 409 powered 63 Belair "Faded Memories" at Central Illinois Dragway. Photo by Dan Rick.

Attached Files:

10. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

If you were there, you never forgot it. Bakersfield '60 (or was it '61?) first round of top fuel, Mickey vs Big. I was standing on the fire truck at the end of the track so hard to see the start, but when Mickey beat Garlits (Malone driving) in the lights, the crowd went wild. Garlits was the enemy then for us California guys, and to be beat by Mickey's wedge was a real rush for the west coast. The story later was that Mickey had his crew add fuel on the line, and that while waiting, Malone got fumes in his bubble face shield, making it difficult for him to see the flagman and thus was late, as this picture shows. That may, of course, be just bench racing tales, but Mickey still won.

Today, all those folks who cheered when Big got beat will most likely acknowledge that he is one of the best, if not THE best, drag racer of all time.

11. It was '61. Big drove himself in '60.

12. old slingshot

old slingshot

Where did you came accros that picture.

This is at napierville drag strip in Québec Canada in the early 60's

Richard

13. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Dean (were you there too? I seem to recall you commenting on the '61 Smokers meet, maybe when Tony Waters blew his blower in the lights and lifted the engine cover about 100 feet in the air?).

14. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]
    Another from the George Klass collection:

Not a lot of Packard-powered dragsters, so this one stands out. Story I heard was that Louie Senter built it for his nephew, Leonard Harris, but Harris died at Lion's before he could drive the car, so it never actually ran. Not sure how accurate the story is, anyone else know?

15. Yes, 1960 was my first March Meet. Some where I have a couple of pics of Garlits in the lanes changing plugs. I was a wide eyed 15 year old snapping pics of everything with my new Brownie Hawkeye camera!

16. Rick Tope

Rick Tope

This is a great site ( I got here a little late ) it brings back a lot of memories....thanks to everone...

17. Rick Tope

Rick Tope

Does anyone here remember taking this picture at Lions in Jan or Feb around 1968 ..... thanks

Attached Files:

18. Lee_Ford

Lee_Ford

I tried to color it. In my head it needed it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014