Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F100 To chop or not to chop that is the question!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Jan 17, 2014.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Well the time has come. Time to either chop this thing down, or weld it up and move on. Problem is I can't decide. Rational side says leave it alone, the wanna be cool side says CHOP it!

The metal work and getting the windshield to fit doesn't worry me. My main concerns down the road are things like the headliner and rear upholstery. As of now you can buy those pieces straight off the shelf, If I go modifying this, I will have to do custom. SHOULD I LET THAT STOP ME??

Since I have transplanted a top, the additional metal work will be minimal, mainly just sectioning the roof.....

Here are some pictures of FRANKENSTEIN....

What do you guys think???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. johnod

johnod

Always liked those trucks, if it were mine I don't think I'd chop it.

3. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

Chop it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. they look cool as built ..No Chop

5. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! You might as well chop it as the cab and doors are cut up anyway, but as always, have the windshield cut first, then cut the cab to fit the glass.

6. Rob68

Rob68

I say no. To me the look right with the factory hight. I've seen a few chopped and it doesn't look right.

7. Frank32

Frank32

8. nashster

nashster
    from Pgh

I agree with John. I would leave it stock. I do like certain cars and trucks chopped but these trucks just look out of proportion with the roof down.

9. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

I agree.

10. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

please don't, i have a 56 F100.....I think trucks look funny chopped......leave it for the cars

11. Billy

Billy

Times 3. It's not the work,it's the end result. They look killer the way Ford did them.

12. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

13. banginona40

banginona40

I wouldn't chop it. Everything else gets put out of proportion when you do. Ford did good on that one when the designed it. JMHOP

14. second fiddle

second fiddle

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

16. lower the truck, not the top.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

**x2

18. SOCALRICK

SOCALRICK
    from SO. CAL

Leave it as is. Classic look. Chop a car when you finish the f100!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree - chops on 56 F-100's can mess up the proportions.

20. v8juice

v8juice

21. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I have seen people do this on the FTE site and the glass is a nightmare to make right. I would not do it.

22. Imperial66

Imperial66
    from NC

IMHO, they are to fat and curvy for a chop. It makes them look squished.

23. A 56 f100 is a perfect chop project. They look a lot better chopped, more proportional. It is like a T Model coupe, it just needs to have a lower lid.

Take a couple off the top...

24. willymakeit

willymakeit

Ok What are going to do,now that you have asked?

25. OneBad56

OneBad56

I have yet to see one that is chopped and looks right. Most take too much out and the proportions are all off. If you were going to chop it, the most I would take out is an inch to an inch and half and that's a lot of work for a small amount.

One chop that looked good was to only take the front pillars down a bit to bring the front top down to a better horizontal line or plane to make it the same as the rear.

Now if you want to get rid of that "jockey" cap look, pancake the top and shave the drip rails. At the same time to keep everything in proportion, pie cut the hood, more in front than the back.

Another trick I've seen done is to channel the front of the cab 1.5 inches by tipping it forward but that leads to a whole lot of other modifications to pull it off.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  26. Tacson

Tacson

Dont Chop. If it was a slant cab I would say yes but not a 56'. No real noticeable gain by chopping.

27. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

Be careful on that windshield. I know a fellow who bought three new ones before he got one that made it through the cut to the glass without breaking and it was supposedly done by a glass pro.

28. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Im going to say no even tho my 54 is chopped 5 inches. 56s look too good with the wrap around glass to mess with them. If you do decide to cut be aware that the glass is s nightmare. And if you have the talent to do the chop then don't let the headliner be the deciding factor, that will be a piece of cake compared to all else. Ralphie

29. 55willys

55willys

Chop it! Then section it to get the proportions right. 1''- 2'' chop and 2 1/2''- 4'' section. And while you are at it etc. etc. etc. it never stops!

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that is the only way to do one of those right. There used to be a 56 Effie floating around this area that was chopped that changed hands at least once a year because no one could get glass to fit or work in it due to the way it was chopped.

I like chopped trucks obviously the a 56 Effie is the one truck I would never chop.