Register now to get rid of these ads!

35-36 Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dooley, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389959186.160843.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389959200.252570.jpg . Just painted this one for a customer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

exterminator likes this.
  2. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

nice job Blackroad

3. ....I'm impressed with that stable of 3 windows!...Really diggin' "old reliable"...
    ...My 35 coupe spent it's first 50+ years down the road from you in Tucson. It was owned by a local sheriff there named Kermit...(the car was green with a frog painted on the back)...

4. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I see why they call you threewindaguy.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the name & brand of paint on the red one? It's gorgeous!

6. mpot

mpot

I have been drag racing my '36 for about 20 years bu now am trying tobuild it into a street rod. I guess the grille is just a cheap aftermarket because it does not fit the fenders or the hood at all. Does anybody know where I can find a real '36 grille.

Attached Files:

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Nobody asked, but when I re-read this thread I get nostalgic for my old 3W, so I'll recount its history.

I bought it in the bay area in '94 after a long hunt. It was immaculate and stock looking, but hiding within it were a 265, juice brakes, and some later Ford running gear. I put whitewalls on it, a dropped axle, and '37 bumpers, and then it looked this way:

[​IMG]

After a while I decided that the top was too tall, and I had Donn Lowe chop it. Just enough to lose the surprised look of the side windows, though; 1 1/2" was all we took out. I added some little-known 3/4 ton truck wheels -- still 16" wide 5's, but not artillery spokes -- and added taller 700-16 WWWs on the rear:

[​IMG]

The 265 that was in it worked OK, but it didn't excite me at all. Seemed like it deserved a blown flathead, so that's what it got:

[​IMG]

I had always admired the Jack Calori coupe. Mine was already chopped and flathead powered, and I had customized the rear in a similar style to Calori's, so I tried it out as a taildragger with same-size tires all around:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DRD57 photo

As a part of getting it to look that way, it got parallel leaves, an 8", and a T5 trans, which made it vastly nicer to drive. Quicker, too.

I felt like an imposter driving a taildragger, though, 'cause when I grew up they were long out of fashion. So I raised it partway back up, took off the skirts, and put the big tires back on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked the way it looked and drove, but it needed an interior and the paint was tired. I wanted to spend money on my '56 project, rather than putting more into the '36, so after 12 years I sold it at auction in '06. It changed hands twice over the next couple of years, and I lost track of it for quite a while. When I finally heard from the new owner, I learned that he had revised the car substantially:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, this guy and I were not on the same page. I don't regret selling the car, but I wish it had gone to somebody with tastes closer to mine. It's his car, of course, so I really can't complain. Much.

8. I think I would have liked it with the black rims, skirts and lowered the best!

9. ...Well, then I'd be happy to complain for you!...It proves that you can't buy good taste...:(

10. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Have you got any more pics as a taildragger. That's my favorite.

11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

real Henry steel is not much better, I had to play with mine to get it to line up....

12. That can't be your old car. Nobody could possibly do that to a car as good looking as the one you show. It looks best with the skirts etc. on it.

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Here are a couple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was also an intermediate taildragger phase, where we lowered it as far as possible with the transverse spring and torque tube. Here it is before skirts:

[​IMG]

...and with the skirts installed:

[​IMG]

...but the ride was atrocious and it still wasn't low enough, so we switched to open drive, parallel leaves, and biiiig lowering blocks. That's how it was equipped in the pictures where you can't see the rear wheel rim at all.

Well, I wish it was a bad dream, and that my real car turned up un-messed with, but I'm afraid that's how it ended up. I'm quite sure that the new owner (or the guy who did the new rework) saw the car below, and did a half-baked job of copying it:

[​IMG]

The car in that picture is NOT my old car, but I'm sure that it was the inspiration for the changes that were made to mine.

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

50. If you give me that guys address, I will fly there and punch him in the face for you. Seriously. I'm pissed.

-Abone.

PS. Here is my 5 window I just drug home. The front fenders are glass (gotta go) and the rest of the car is a colossal piece of shit, but I smile my ass off whenever I look at it.

[​IMG]

15. So, 50Fraud, it sounds like the only way this wrong can be made right is for you to build two more 3-windows; one taildragger style and one "California rake"! :) (I can't decide which one I like better...they're both way-cool.)

16. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Thanks for the pics that's awesome.

17. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

50Fraud, all versions under your care were pretty much nine kinds of amazing. Now... At least he didn't wreck it or light it on fire I guess.

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks for the sympathetic responses (and compliments).

19. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

.. a fellow club member's ( "Rammer" on here ) '36.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mrquickwhip likes this.
  20. 40grit

40grit

I think I have posted to this thread before but since it has been revised, here is a shot at the Sonic this summer.

[​IMG]

exterminator and mrquickwhip like this.
  21. This, like all the others, is going to be good......

22. blown36

blown36
    from Oz

Here's mine. This pic taken about 16 months ago the day it was delivered to the paint shop, still there impatiently waiting for color.
    [​IMG]

Has steel rims and whitewalls for road duty, centrelines and Mickey Thomson Street Radials for the strip.

[​IMG]

In the final stages of prep.

[​IMG]

23. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Couldn't stop looking at this car at mulwonga this year. What's that ribbed part on the hood? I've never seen anything like it before.

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

I cant wait for you to start this one!

25. Same car....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrquickwhip likes this.
  26. Maverick1

Maverick1
    from California

So thats what there supposed to look like.

27. I mocked mine up to check the stance...it still needs to go down another inch in the rear and two in the front...

Bryan36.jpg

Anyone else have updates or new cars to post?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    mrquickwhip likes this.
  28. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

dang bryan ....

29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I got cabriolet fever last year. Bought a project; that wasn't fast enough progress so bought a great running car with new hydraulic brakes, new top, and a built flathead with rebuilt trans as well. It scoots with two carbs!

But, I ran across "such a deal" on another cabriolet recently that already had a SBF, automatic, air, and an updated suspension and better paint and interior.

Some would prefer the earlier car with the patina paint, and I do like that car; but the updated version is a better match for my needs.

The green one's for sale if anybody is looking for a reliable fun ride.

I'm now working on revisions to the look and stance of the new car while cleaning up the appearance under the hood---relocate battery off the firewall and straightening up some of the wiring, etc.

Apparently my "illness" lasted about 8 months... so far!!

Al

Attached Files:

30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Holy crap, what a crying shame!! :eek: :(

How could anyone to THAT to a car that was damn near perfect?