Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just curious...why are '49-'50 Mercury's so coveted?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Newbedonnie, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thunderplex

thunderplex

X2. ...and never liked the Hudsons either. In fact, I dislike most customs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. The Reason why everybody likes the 49-51 Merc is because they are so easy
    to Kustomize But the Bigest Reason is
    I Own One
    50 Merc

Just my 3.5 cents

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd take a clean '65 comet 2dr over a land yacht butterdish merc custom at the drop of a hat. But then, I'm not really known for holding the majority opinion in high regard...
    as for the Mercs "cool" factor, blame it on Sam Barris and Gil Ayala...

4. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know. The grille surrounds are definitely known to rust out especially in the midwest, and it's a very popular swap into a '51 model. That, and just to have them available to swap into other cars, I think it would do really well.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree.

5. Maybe but with so much reproduction sheet metal on the market today I have got to think companies don't think they can get enough return on their investment to produce it.

6. Muttley

Muttley

Neither am I, and thanks for saving me the trouble of responding to the other comment. ;) :D

7. Depends which Lincoln you are talking about.

8. That Hudson has some serious custom potential. I'm surprised there aren't more chopped, shaved and slammed? BUT I can't say I've ever seen one in my country either!

And this answers the OP's question perfectly!

9. [QUOTE BUT I can't say I've ever seen one in my country either![/QUOTE]

There are several. Customised that is. There are a lot more stock.

10. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Where else are you supposed to put all those orphaned Desoto grilles?
    ( Probably have seen more Desoto grilles in Mercury's than I ever saw in Desoto's :) )

11. That's a fact, Jack! Fact is they were/are a delight to look at!

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its like guys and girls, its just natural to like them, of course their are the odd few out that go the other way but 'to each their own'.

Doc.

13. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

Can't go wrong with Jeff's 50 merc!!!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390001433.126121.jpg

Wishing I was on the salt watching some fast cars go by me!!!!!!!

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

It was the new body style and Mercs were higher up the food chain than fords or Chevys. Much like the 32 was the first V8 (a unique feature) the Merc was a all new body style after the war..

15. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

I was actually referring to comet the cleaner but the guy asking the question had a 65 Comet ha ha. o well I guess I didn't know what I was saying as usual.

16. This thread sucks; it made me realize how bad I want one. LOL!

17. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

There is a 49 2dr Merc in Rapid City SD and a 49 Lincoln at A&A auto salvage ask for Dan.

18. Thanks for the heads up. I just opened my own shop, so I have to be responsible for while.......or at least fake it the best I can!

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, and yours is pretty bitchin.I REALLY want a '63 Fairlane 2dr sedan, but I got too many friggin project cars already...

20. I think Buicks look better, but to each their own.

21. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Buicks are nice I like them also!!

22. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

the chevy hardtop was "the " hottest new car in 49...

23. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

It's just like a hot chick,the ''curves'' are in all the right places !

24. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

I think a lot of you guys have a misconception of what a merc actually weighs. They are not a "heavy" car at all. A 69 chevelle Is a thousand pounds heavier than my merc. Mine weighs in a 3005 lbs.

To answer the first question. Because its the best looking car body ever built in america. I may be biased.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Did you actually weigh it, or is that the listed factory shipping wieght? Because shipping weights are dry, no fluids. So you can add a good couple hundred hundred pounds to that number if its the shipping weight. I will admit though, thats still lighter than I thought.

Shipping weight for a '69 chevelle 2 dr coupe with a sb is 3165lbs, just looked it up, so if that 3005lb number is the mercs listed shipping weight, the merc is about 150 lbs lighter than a chevelle. Still a little lighter than I would have guessed. But then, most of them nowadays are probably packing an extra 400-500lbs of lead and angel hair anyway...:p

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I just looked up the shipping weight on a '49 merc coupe,
    http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php
    This site says 3321lbs, or about 170lbs MORE than a '69 Chevelle. which is about what I would have expected. Considering that a typical stock, sb '69 chevelle wieghs around 3600-3650 curbside, that puts the merc around 3800lbs, sans lead and angel hair, thats right where I would have expected it.
    According to the factory shipping weight, my '67 Falcon should weigh around 2850 with the FE and C-6 in it. Uh yea, good luck with that.:(

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  27. I don't want to get into the pissin' match but what has the weight of a Mercury got to do with why they are popular?:confused:

I realize not everybody don't think they are one of the coolest cars to ever hit the streets but I sure wouldn't mind having one in my garage.:) HRP

28. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Mine was full of junk,mud,hornets nests,missing parts i suppose when I got all that out it weighed that much!!

29. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

I think HRP 32 Ford truck is one sweet ride but most late 60s cars are not my favorites but the trucks are nice like the 66 chevy first car I ever owned. I like 66 galaxie convertibles but not hardtops. So I guess each to his own. My dad's 41 Ford Pickup on the other hand love it!!

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have no idea, you would have to ask mercury Bill...:rolleyes: I'm just straightening out his information...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.