Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

There is someone on youtube with a v8 saw made out of one of those all aluminum buick nailheads. A little more traditional;)

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Worth mentioning( if someone hasn't already) if you are thinking about building one like this make sure your crank is forged steel and not cast or your going to be wailing away on it sometime and get a real sore toe.:cool:

3. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

What kind of motor did you use? Specs?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. willo_96

willo_96

The motor is from a Speedwerx beadroller, there an Australian company, think its a 10:1 reduction on it with variable speed foot control. Don't really know any other specs on it

5. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I don't have the spare crank laying around anyway, so it will probably end up being a straight piece of square tubing, but that receiver hitch concept is still haunting me... a combination of this and some other posts involving stationary dollies and metal shaping tools. I'm envisioning a "receiver hitch" on the end of a work bench with a multitude of tools that can "plug into it" for different jobs. One day it might be a vice ( or specialty vice like for pipes) another day it might get a stationary dolly or an electric motor with a wire wheel. The bench support close by would have it's own electrical outlet on a switch to operate some of the tools but kill the power source in case you put something wet (like a fender that just came in from out in the rain) over the work area.

6. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

homemade brake

Attached Files:

7. gatz

gatz

is there a radius on the nose of the clamp bar?

I need to make one of those, but I'd like it to be a "pan & box" brake

8. Looks like is a box and pan if you look real close.

9. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

looks like a few sections of commercial finger brake dies were used in this .

10. gatz

gatz

OOPS, my mistake...guess I should've looked harder.

11. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

This is nothing compared to the other tools ive looked at on here. But either way this got me out of a pinch.
    I was at a salvage yard and found a switch i needed and it had the lock nut on it ,. well i brought my kit for newer cars thinking i might actually have the one for this switch .. NOPE ! i didnt have a small enough fitting. so i went home and was thinking of ordering what i needed from eba_.

I noticed on my desk i had a worn out air fitting and i thought Duhhh stuip use that. so i went to the garage and pull out my 3 inch roloc grinder and shaped the end to fit the smaller lock nut for switches.. took all of 1 minute and didnt have to wait 5 days to get it mailed.
    I now carry it with me evertime i go to a salvage yard.

Next time i post ill show you the aluminum adjustable tram gauge with a metric and standard rule. it measures from 2" to 12 feet, i made it a 2 piece tram so when im just tramming under hood demensions or if i need to tram under frames or bed openings, ect ect ..

Attached Files:

12. gatz

gatz

^^^ good thinkin'

13. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

X2 Genius!!

14. QQMOON

QQMOON

^^^^^

Learn somethin new everyday so dam simple

QQ

15. Color me the dummy here....whats a tram gauge and how is it used?

16. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

It's for body work. Basically a tape measure with pointers on each end. It's for measuring square.

Sent from my LG-P769 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. True name is trammel or trammels.

I use mine a lot when doing body/chassis work.

[​IMG]

18. Oh, ok, thanks.

19. 6inarow

6inarow

how did you make it?

20. You can buy them at the hardware store, mines got a metal rod as opposed to the wood in the previous post. Pretty easy to make though if you've got the gear, but they are pretty cheap..

21. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

That is one type of tram. I will take a picture of mine tomorrow. The rod is on the side on mine , so that you can adjust the rod heights to clear parts in the way.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Great deal! I find all kinds of cheap Chinese sockets as I do my inspections for work at abandoned houses. I keep them in a drawer and use them for these kind of uses. I have three or four ground down like yours.

23. I do a small amount of fabrication and I was ignorant to this "trammel" tool and it hit me like a ton of bricks that i needed one! Hell man, then I got to looking on the 'net and found half a dozen little tools that will help on fabrication!!
    [​IMG]

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dang that looks handy as a pocket on a shirt.

25. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

The are great when setting up suspension. Make it easy to set everything up square.

Sent from my LG-P769 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. rodl

rodl

The trammel - ancient technology still in use today! Over the years I've used one when transferring measurements from a plan drawing for setting out pipe work risers to come thru concrete slabs in buildings etc. prior to the slab being poured. Also great for aligning chassis when building your rod.

27. 80WTI

80WTI

Great job on the beadroller, i am in the process of a similar project but just wanted to go a high throat design but not sure on the torque of the speedwerx motors. thanks for the pics.

28. willo_96

willo_96

Yeah, the Speedwerx motor is good, probably not enough grunt for 1.6mm, it'll do it but not all the time, but it's fine for what I do, where's some pics of your deep one.

29. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

ok here is my homemade tram. i copied it from an older style autobody tram. i like this style far bettern than the ones that are digital and one with a tapemeasure , Mostly because with this one you can do measurements from 3 inches to how ever long you want. Like i said mine is in 2 sections.
    Before i had bought the red sliders from a retired body man , I actually had made up my own sliders that did the same thing just not as nice as what you see on the red ones. Either way they both worked i found an unfinished one I made to show an example as to how easy it is to make.
    The rule tape i used is a Delta 79-056 12-Foot Right-1/2-Inch Wide Metric/English.
    On the long length i set up my table saw with a dado set to let the rule sit in just a tiny bit so that my slides didnt rub the numbers off.
    also set my router up to smooth the insert out. And no it didnt damage my blades, taking that little of material off isnt a big deal plus ive cut some hard woods harder than aluminum.
    as you can see i made my rods and ground points into them. they slide up and down to clear anything in the way. i have some longer length just incase .
    one of the fixtures stays at zero at all times and the other slides you adjust to measure square or to check side to side that things are in line,.. you get the idea i think. They make these tram gauges but are from 350 and up and most dont have the rule and you have to use a tape measure. i think that defeats the purpose if you ask me. i built mine for under 40.00

Attached Files:

mikeyyeah likes this.
  30. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i also made this tool for when i pull on wheel-wells. This design lets me pull from the inner corner and not the face of the inner wheel-wells.
    Unlike the other tubular style ones that always kink up the inner wheel-well.
    As you can see i also welded a pull tab to the face of it incase im doing a double pull to get a twist out . pulling out and sideways both at once.

Oh and the wheel stand in the picture i also built from a scrap table i took out the dumpster, I made 3 of those wheel stands. instead of buying them online, which the cheapest i found was 280 a piece. i calculated even if i bought the steel it would still be under 80 to build all 3.

Attached Files: