Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Nice job Kipp.These pics will sure help me out since I´m transfer mine from rumble seat to a trunk.I´m looking for some trunk hinges ,if you know of some I´ll be interested.Thanks....Kenneth.

2. telekenfun

telekenfun

Good job Kipp, You fixed that lower gap at the same time. You always seem to come up with the best approach to all these problems. Question, will you need to hammer/dolly that weld line after it is all welded? Are you planning to pull the skin off to do so? I have dent around my trunk handle that is frustrating me without de-skinning so I was curious as how you would deal with your metal finishing there.
    I appreciate the pics of you at work, the background visuals are so similar to my own shop and working conditions that I can't help but sympathize with you and be impressed with your accomplishments. Even with my shop wood stove blazing I too need to wear "shirt jackets" and "hoody sweatshirts" this time of year, and mine are just as torn-up as well. It was -18*F below zero here last week and my shop would not get warm. Santa must not have brought you any coal! Does SLC have wood burning restrictions? Keep up the great work, and have a Successful and Happy New Year. Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

3. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

WOW,Just WOW. Killer Build. Obviously a man with great talent. Very Nice Job Mr. Kip.

VR&C.

4. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Kip, you gonna be working on it some more this week? I'd love to come be a fly on the wall for a few hours...

5. Thanks.
    Thanks Kenneth. If you need any better or more specific pic's let me know.
    Thanks KB. As far as the weld goes after welded I will use my stud welder to pull the seam level then I will use the T handle to hold it up while I hammer along the sides to finish. This method works well. I did the tail pan seam and the dents from the spare tire mount and with a little time it works well. As far as the cold I over heated my pipe and need to replace a section so no heat at the moment but we're in the teens to around 32 so not as cold as you at this time.
    Thank a lot.
    I will be out in the garage most of the day Wednesday if your not busy stop by.

6. Ive spent the last hour reading this thread. Gives me currage to atempt a 37 Cabrolet I came across..

Truely Amazing work man...

7. longgoner

longgoner
    from western ny

Nice work and pictures.
    I'm in the market for a shrinker and was curious if you ever find need for a stretcher

8. Thanks. The more work the better the final reward. Just have to stay the course.
    Thanks. I used both on the trunk lip. Fine tuning sometimes requires a little of both and outside radiuses also require a stretcher.

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Jesus. I just poured through this thread. Insane. This car rules. I am so totally jazzed to start on my 36 now!

10. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

^^^ That will be a cool build to watch!

Loving all the continued detail work kippers!

11. Thanks. She has taken on a life of her own.
    Thanks. A few more things left before the paint prep starts.

12. Been working on little odds and ends. I took the lisence plate mount from the front and made a lighted lisence plate mount for the rear out of it.

[​IMG]

Then I cut a slot in the surround for the light.

[​IMG]

After adding conduit's to run the wireing for the taillights and plate light. With the mounting bolts tacked to the bumper it was reinstalled for final fitting before chrome.

[​IMG]

I took the bumper to the shop and used the large welder to weld the holes in the bumper shut. After sanding and prep I sent the rear bumper, lisence surround, and garnish moldings off to the chromer.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  13. I thought I would add defrost ducts so I cut a set from an old Chevrolet dash.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will take them to the shop and blast them and then I will install them in the dash.
    I then took the steering wheel apart to prep and paint the wheel and send the chrome off to get redone.
    [​IMG]
    I got the steering wheel parts, shifter, and windshield frame ready to go to get chromed and lisence plate bracket, bumper brackets to the shop to powder coat them.

14. Way cool. Just curious: Does Utah let you use non-YOM license plates on your cars? Around here you can only use current or year-of-manufacture plates.

15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Hey Kip, who are you using for chrome?

16. Thanks. No we are the same. I wanted to put a plate on to see how she looks and had the 48 plate laying there so it just seemed to go. I wish I could use the 48 though.
    Hi Eric. Hough offered to take my parts to his chromer so with his contacts I figure best quality and fair prices. I usually use metalmasters they always do a good job with fair priceing and turnaround time.

17. No doubt! Being able to license a car for the build era would be a cool option. I'd like to have 1962 plates on my upcoming A!

18. daddio211

daddio211

My dad ran '62 plates on his '32 roadster here in Utah for about four years.... until ONE clerk at the DMV noticed when he went in to renew. Bitch.

He and my mom graduated in '62, and the car (although fiberglass) had a late fifties early sixties vibe.

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

19. Havent posted in a couple weeks but haven't stopped moving. Last week I finished the metal on the trunk lid but got moving and dident take pics. After finishing metal I por 15'd the inside of the trunk lid and etch primed the outside. Now it is ready for a skim of filler. I think it has been on and off about 100 time in the last month!

20. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

21. This week I worked on the dash. I started with the defrost ducts. After bead blasting them I marked the dash and cut holes.
    [​IMG]

Then I welded in the defrost opening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    After I finished the ducts I needed to mount the windshield regulator so I took off the radio deleat cover and cut the dash so the regulator would fit.
    [​IMG]
    then I took a piece of 3.5" exhaust tubing and cut a piece to make a shroud.

[​IMG]

I welded a plate on the front radiesed the edge and drilled the face for the handle.

[​IMG]
    I made and tacked the plates in place.

[​IMG]
    Then I welded and smoothed the cover.

[​IMG]

Now the dash is finished on top and ready for the finish on the ducts underneath.

[​IMG]

22. Thanks.

23. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Love it. I was having withdrawals.

24. daddio211

daddio211

Looks like it was born there!

25. Yeah, the shape blends well with the '40 dash; nicely done!

26. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

Keep the pics coming Kip. That dash is incredible!

27. Sorry about the delay in pic's I have been on a lot of little mundane details that needed attention.
    Thanks Eric.
    Thanks. Had to have the roll out windshield working.
    Thanks John.

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

The dash work looks great Kip!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Thanks. If I can get Ron over to start the interior things will really start to come together.

30. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

I agree with the rest, great dash, great work. Your components are fit nice and tight.