Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 Swap experts...have you ever seen this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henryj429, Jan 12, 2014.

1. henryj429

henryj429

Thanks to some sharp guys on the HAMB, I have a pretty good handle on the 2 T5 swaps I have in the works right now. I've been hunting for an S10 mechanical speedo tail housing for a while. I was running out of time, so I payed the big bucks and ordered a housing from a guy that has an eBay store specializing in T5 parts. The pictures below show what he sent me. It appears to be an electronic speedo tail shaft that has been bored out and had a mechanical speedo insert epoxied in. needless to say, I'm a bit pissed about this - not real interested driving across the countryside with a trans held together by glue. For almost 200 bucks, I expected to get a real OEM housing. Before I rip on this guy and demand my money back, is this thing maybe OK to use? Are other guys running something like this successfully? Thanks for your advice!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. badshifter

badshifter

You know the answer. Get your money back. It may work, but the right housings are out there.

3. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

4. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I would think 200 would get you a whole T5. I think you need to do more than just change the tail housing, isn't the output shafts different. Why not just change your gauge to an electric speedo.

5. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Glory hole!?!??

6. henryj429

henryj429

I'm using a gauge cluster from 50 Chrysler. Cost to convert to electronic is huge - about a grand! I know this because my 37 Lincoln runs an electronic speedo with GPS input. I ate ramen noodles for a month after paying for that!

7. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Have you looked into a electric to mechanical converter like this:

http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm

Dont know of anyone thats used one but its another option...just 150 more than the tailhousing.

8. henryj429

henryj429

$574-$1000 depending on the model. Fully electronic speedo would be a better way to spend the money in my mind. Better yet, get the right tailhousing and not spend it at all...which is what I'm trying to do.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

IMO that should work fine but it should have been disclosed and priced accordingly.

10. metalix_421

metalix_421

$200 seems pretty high, imo I'd get that 200 back and hit some junk yards up.

11. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

The cable-x is 339 for GM models.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I buy S10 WHOLE T5's for $125-200.

If the exact description did not include what you find here, then it is a misrepresentation.

Contact the seller and demand your money back. If he is not willing, contact eBay and file a claim.

13. $200!!! I paid $100 for a good mechanical speedometer S10 T5... and it came with a complete truck!

Check around in your area. Find an established transmission shop. They'll have the correct parts, and usually dirt cheap. I found a tranny shop that had them stacked up like cord wood. I guess I should go buy all of their extension housings and sell them on eBay.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

When i was gathering parts to do a t5 swap on my 52 chevy i searched forever and could never find a mechanical drive t5, i was focusing on pick n pull though...i think 89 was the last year which is getting pretty old.

Did the seller give a description of how his output shaft was suppose to work? If he sold it as OE then you definatly deserve you money back...shipping included.

15. henryj429

henryj429

S10 T5 transmission are NOT available in Northern Minnesota or anywhere nearby for a hundred bucks. The best I can find is $250ish plus $100 shipping for a mech speedo unit. I've watched the HAMB classifieds for a year - nobody gives them away here either. On Ebay right now there are two S10 tail shaft "conversion kits", selling for $300 and $400. I bought a whole truck for parts, but it had that other crappy 5 speed that they used for few years.

16. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

speedometers are over rated anyway.....
    Be patient, one will turn up. Its when we jump at things to get it now that gets us into trouble, and yes there are those time when we dont react fast enough, but missin out on a deal only gives you more knowledge of what a good deal is instead of regretting "why in the hell did I buy this damn thing"

17. I'm gonna have to look one of those Cable x boxes. I called Classic Instruments and asked about retro fitting my '40 gauge cluster for my Model A. They want $3400 to retro fit it to electronic speedo and up date the other 4 gauges.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used the CableX. Lots of dip switches, but once you set it up, it works very well.

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

the first year or 2 that GM went to electronic instruments they (88?) they used a drive unit that bolted inplace of the mechanical unit. I think it was 88 you could get electronic guages as an option. they did the same on the automatics for those years. I don't know if the tail housing you picture is one from this period or if it was modified.

20. henryj429

henryj429

21. alchemy

alchemy

If you can get mechanical speedo T-5's for a good price, please send them my way. Really. Send me a PM with your price.

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The modification doesn't look too bad, a little sloppy on the goo, but it really doesn't have to do more than hold oil in.

The price seems high though, but some guys will just fork over the money instead of scouring salvage yards, the internet, and classified ads.

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Being old I most likely have a screw or two loose but I'm as grounded in the past automotive wise as the most rabid of our kind. Saying that I just don't get the big deal with this mechanical speedometer/T5 deal. When you crossed the line and succumed to using a T5 there should be no turning back. That said, put a later T5 in place, put your speedometer in the dash, and buy a GPS for keeping you informed about your speed. Other than that use the method I've used on at least a dozen of the "hot rods" I've owned.

1. If your being passed by cars your probably driving the speed limit.
    2. If your traveling at the same speed as traffic your probably 5-10 over
    the limit.
    3. If your passing traffic your 10+ over the limit and square in the eye of
    the next radar cop.:mad:

Frank

24. harleynut45

harleynut45

I don't know what your putting the T5 in but I only paid 265.00 for a full set of bran new Dolphin electronic gauges for my F1. That includes the dash insert they mount in.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Yep. This is what we all need.

26. henryj429

henryj429

Good answer Alchemy.

I'm really set on the 50 Chrysler gauge cluster. It will look super cool in the 37 pickup dash. Dolphin gauges can go in my kid's 63 Nova.

27. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

28. pitman

pitman

Thanks for the Thread. In this sort of question, our gang always comes up with good solutions!

29. I'm thinking of the Cable X route also as mech T5 around So Cal are non existent. Everyone is using them for 60's and down cars/trucks every make......plus like someone else pointed out the cable x is about $340-$365.

30. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I just recently pulled A mechanical Speedo t5 for my banger powered a coupe at the local u pick it for 160 I think or 180 and there were two more there. if you want I can try to go there next weekend and grab a tailshaft housing ill sell/ship it to you at cost. I'd be pissed if I got epoxyed up one for that price. I got it from b and h auto parts in Elkton Maryland if anyone else local is looking for one the one counter guys kinda a dick but I'd be too if I had his job probably.