Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Merc Comet 2D wagon mild kustom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JiiTee, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

The assembly line worker must have really liked your wagon as it came down the line, enough to sign it!

-KK

2. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

Impressed !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Time for small update... I removed paint from left fender, welded few holes and did one patch to the front where I found small rusted hole. Also welded front seam full to get nice and smooth lines.

Attached Files:

4. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

GLAD TO SEE WORK ON THIS ONE, AGAIN. ALWAYS LIKE THE UPDATES.

ALSO - someone snag this '61 2-door wagon in NV!
    For those interested in the 1960-63 Comet wagons I wanted to pass on a lead I am not affiliated with in any way.

There's a '61 project here in So. NV that a guy has changed from $1200. to *** $300. *** in just 2 weeks.
    ~Body looks straight
    ~He/someone has done all the 5-lug and v8 swap "stuff" already.
    ~Says he has a title.

I don't want a 2-door, so I am passing on the info. on the Comet wagon threads. Hope no one minds.
    Someone snag it!

Don't contact me, I am not the guy.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4239335206.html
    HE SAYS, "CALLS ONLY, JOHN, (775)537-9666" .

5. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

6. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Well that was gone fast... Or did it?

I was so pissed of todays work that I went to garage for rest of the day...

Parted out right door and striped some paint. There was a big dent on the door and it was filled with bondo. Why the hell do it like that when it can be straightened out really easy? After little hammering and dollying it's much nicer. Too bad that there's few drilled holes in the dent area.

I'm gonna shave door handles and replace them with some kind of push buttons. Any hints? Lincoln style or similar...

Attached Files:

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi JiiTee.Looking good.That rust repair will drive ya nuts.Keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks Leo!

Rust can't drive me nuts 'cos I'm already crazy. :D There's still bunch of rust to repair but I beat it slowly but surely.

9. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Borrowed some tools from work so that I can do more prep work at home. Straightened few dents from left door and sand it down to bare steel and same treatment to the left fender.

Attached Files:

10. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! I did more prep work today and got done what I was planned to do at this weekend. Now fenders, hood and doors are bare steel.

I already welded smaller door handle holes but I have to wait those push buttons to arrive.

Attached Files:

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good!
    I guess you have to do something else for a while,christmas jams usually the mail delivery..

12. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Subscribed. :D

Always loved the long roofs.

13. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks for buying me those push buttons! Well, you know that I still have bunch of stuff to do... :D

Hahaa, I guess that someone has told you where the buttons went... :D They are almost too perfect for my project.

I did some test fitting today and button fits to original door handle hole pretty great. Minor modifications must be done if I use them without frenching plates but I just have to decide what to do. Wife told that use them as is... Should I belive her??? :D

Attached Files:

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

No problem.I think it will look good either way,but using those frenching panels there will be more flat surface for the nut.Keep it up!

15. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Less work without the panels, but as Finrodder said, the nuts will be easier to seat if you use the frenching panels.

However, it must be said that keeping your woman happy goes a long way to a trouble free existence, so bear that in mind. ;)

Either way will look good though.

16. mechanic58

mechanic58

Hats off to you guys that do all this major rust repair. Looks like the better part of that car was potting soil when you got it. I'd a hauled that thing to the crusher. Beautiful work.

17. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Door has pretty tight curve just above door handle hole so you guys might be right. I have check how that nut will seat without panels.

Thanks for your kind words! At one point I thought that I'll sell it but suddenly I came back to my senses I took it out of sale. After watching pics of the floor repair I thought that there wasn't any sense to do that. Anyway it's done and there's only one way to this project ---> get it done and cruise the hell out of it! :D

18. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Small update...

Found out that nut don't seat nicely on the back so it was clear that buttons will be frenched. After little cutting, welding and hammering one button is now frenched. It turned out really nice and now nut will be seat as it should.

Attached Files:

19. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

20. The frenched button looks so much better than hid it just been mounted flat. HRP

21. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

:D Your product is highly recommended!

It does and looks with mouldings like it was made in the factory.

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Wow,that looks pretty cool!
    I am not sure is it easy to put there,but a matching pushbutton on the tailgate could be cool too?

23. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

It would be cool but it's impossible to do because there is window crank and lock cylinder. You can't open the tailgate without lowering window. Otherwise I'd do it, no doubt about that.

24. chop777

chop777

Those buttons rock!!!!!
    Where can I get some
    -chop

25. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

26. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Last saturday I had some time to french left door push button. You can see from photo how little piece of panel I welded on doors.

Also did minor modification to door latch. Hammered it straight and welded small piece of steel rod to fill empty space between latch and button.

I also fixed badly rotten battery tray with new one. Older Falcon/Comet has bit different battery tray than '64 and newer. I bought that newer tray which has rear bracket when older has bracket in front. Drilled spot welds out and removed rear bracket. Old front bracket was still pretty good and I weld it to new tray.

Attached Files:

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Any updates?
    And dont forget our show at tomorrow...

28. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Nope, been kinda busy with my wife's trailer. It's now almost ready and I'll be back to business when it's done. I'm gonna pull it to Do-Dads reunion and do some (heavy) drinking and camping...haha!

I'll see you tomorrow at the show!

29. trh351

trh351
    from Kansas

Nice, rare, Comet. My parents had a a blue '61 when I was a kid from '66-'69. I don't remenber much except the paint was oxidized bad. On this dealer pamphlet, http://www.61thriftpower.com/images2/modelsopen.jpg the two door wagon looks like the same color and interior. Ours had blackwalls and poverty caps. I have looked for 2 door wagons for years. Maybe someday. Yours looks great.