Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features How many of you guys have a 1940-1941 Non-truck Mopar ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemiken, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Orn

Orn

My -40 P9

[​IMG]

Valtin likes this.
  2. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

both sound great,,,any pics?

3. 1959apache

1959apache

pics or it didn't happen

4. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Here's the Royal parts car
    I'll have to take some of the Windsor

Attached Files:

5. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Those 3 windows just have a look all of their own, i love this thread too.

6. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

That Chrysler coupe looks real solid, that would not be a parts car around here!

7. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

I agree not a parts car,,koool 3 window some one should do some thign with,,,thanks for the pic

8. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Thanks for the kind words
    since we're all thinking alike here…
    a few photos I've collected for inspiration:

Attached Files:

9. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Have you got more pictures of your used to be parts car and the car you started off doing before the parts car came along please.
    Nice bunch of pictures too.

10. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Here are a couple of my future projects...One Dodge and a Desoto. One to get a Dodge hemi (see avatar), the other with a Desoto hemi....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  11. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Man i am loving that, you have done a series chop top on that bad boy. Look forward to a build thread when you get around to it. Thank you. :D

12. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I'm afraid its a little too much, I have another roof for it if it is....Itll be a while before I will start on this project. I have to sharpen my skills on some less challenging projects first. This one will be about as major a project you could think of. No floors, rear quarters, tail pan, trunk. It all needs to be hand built, except the rear quarters I have found....But it has been saved from the crusher for now...

13. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

thanks for saving it from the crusher,,,cant wait to see more on it,,,,,

all the 3 windows pictured makes me wish mine was a 3 window,,

14. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I do not think it is too much at all, it is looking pretty good in fact, the proportions look good from this angle, have a bit of faith, i certainly think you have got it looking rather nice. Can not wait to see when you get back in to it again. :D

15. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Isn't it funny, no 3 window coupe for 1940, It was dropped in 1939 in America, Australia got their own version of a 3 window coupe for 1939, but no 1940 3 window coupe Mopars were built, and then it was re-introduced in 1941...... Very strange, i would love to see a 1941 Dodge coupe and someone hang a 1940 Dodge front on one, i think the front of a 40 would look good hanging on a 3 window coupe body :D

16. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

It seems to me that the cowls between 40 and 41 are pretty close.....I think it would be do-able, with some work. And I think it would be a very attractive option. The 40 dodge grille is a lot sexier than the 41's, in my opinion. 40 Desoto 3window would be something to see, too. But I really like the 41 Desoto's grille.

The only problem I have with the 40-41's is the way Mother Mopar place the wheels in the wheel openings. I am trying to figure out what I wanna do with the rear. I'm not a big fan of flush mounted skirts on these Mopars. I'm thinking of a 1/2 or 3/4 rear skirt on a relocated wheel opening. I'm also toying with a small fender lip, too. Front and back. I'll have to mock'em up and see.....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  17. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I am thinking they are exactly the same in the cowl area and 40 front tin would bolt straight on to a 41 cowl. I know what your saying, the 40 DeSoto do have a real sexy look to them too, it would be a hard choice to put either one on between the DeSoto and Dodge fronts in 1940.

I have mentioned before that the wheel base is wrong on a 40-41 Mopar, it would be good to see the rear wheel put in to a better cosmetically pleasing position, totally agree their mate.

18. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

never thought about there not being a 3 window 40, the 41 dodge grill looks good if its in good shape, if not its ugly,,i like the long look of the 3 windows 41 and up,, but im not getting what you guys are saying about where ma mopar placed the wheels in the fenders ?? my car is not altered wheel base wise,,and looks centered to me,,in fact the round wheel openings of the 40 look better to me then the boxy opening of the later 40s mopars,,,, not sure i ever seen a 41 desoto,,,

Attached Files:

19. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Man,i love looking at your 40 coupe, it is sex on wheels that car.
    AMyway, i think that the rear of a 40-41 coupe would not look so bum heavy if the entire wheel arch was shifted back by about 3 to 4 inches and the wheel centered then. That is how i feel anyway, some angles show that the rear can look real heavy just by where the factory wheel arch is placed is all. I still like it the way it is, but personally think it could go back that bit to improve the look, i would love to see someone do a photoshop on a fished car to see how it looks visually before someone doeas take a cutter to their car, isn't technology just so simple for such a visual concept before breaking in to a sweat.

20. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Yes, nice '40!

One thing I noticed is that it is more noticeable to my eye when wide whites are used and the 3 windows over the standard coupe. Just because of the proportions of the turret vs. body. Been studying this pretty closely lately and I think I may move my rear end back either by relocating the mounts or ordering different springs altogether. I thought about moving the wheel opening but the way the fenders are built into the quarters it would be a lotta work. Not to mention the front "leg" of the fender opening is pretty thin as it is. I'd just leave it alone, if it wasn't for such a huge chop on my car. I like long and sleek, but its all about proportions and blending....

21. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

You are right in saying it is more noticable on a 3 window coupe compared to a 5 window coupe. Moving the diff back would be easier done with new leaf springs, any spring works can do that easiel and cheap. As for moving the wheel arch back, that would not be hard after you talked such a big chop top, doing the wheel arches would be like a picnic after doing a job like that my friend. :D

22. j hansen

j hansen

Never seen a -41 De Soto....... here is mine!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...t.php?attachmentid=2111020&stc=1&d=1389186992

Attached Files:

23. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Oh Man............. Love those DeSoto's. Thank you for sharing, that is a sweet car.

24. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

25. j hansen

j hansen

26. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I agree, good looking car, butt it still does not have that same presence as what your 3 window would. I am thinking 2 to 3 inch wheel arch relocation will be the saviour to what you are wanting to do to get the proportions right buddy. :D

el 36 likes this.
  27. j hansen

j hansen

Does anybody know why MoPar couldn`t place the wheel archers any better?
    It`s really looks stupid.

Attached Files:

28. daliant

daliant

I agree that early 40's mopars have too small of a wheel opening which makes them look a little weird, it just gives you an excuse to cut 'em open.

It's not hard to open up the wheel openings on these fenders, there only one layer of steel. I opened up the rear fenders on my '46 using 2 pieces of plywood cut to the opening size I wanted, clamp them on to the fender, cut then just hammered the edge over to form a lip. I don't mind the wheel opening shape of later 40's mopars, I just needed to make room for bigger tires

100_1325.jpg

29. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I would go so far as to say it is something that is liveable, but a modification would do yourself a favour. This would be the only thing i would change to an otherwise perfect car in all its other dimensions.

30. j hansen

j hansen

Attached Files: