Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID this body hulk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charliechaindrive, Jan 11, 2014.

1. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

This ancient thing has been sitting on the hill up from my house for as long as I can remember. But, nobody in my family knows what it actually is! It has this unique scaloping under the rear Windows
    [​IMG]
    Here's the whole thing, we have one fender. It has a spare tire well in it. Would pics of that help identify it?
    [​IMG]
    Surprisingly, no rust has eaten through it. It's heavy as all get out, I had dug it out of the ground in the summer, it was sunk down about 8" (mother nature's custom channel I guess) and I put it up on cinder blocks to get it out of the ground. I found a bunch of random sheet metal buried within the dirt, on top of the subframe. You can see some of it in the pics
    [​IMG]

I had thought about saying fuck it and cutting the thing in half and bringing the cowl back to make a 2 door sedan out of it, using the rear doors only. Or would that be dumb?

Ccd

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Fender photo would definitely help.

3. That looks very usable - whatever it is...

4. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

I think it's a 1929 Essex. No it's 29 Hudson.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

5. Funny, I thought Essex as well. The dual suicide piano hinges kinda seal it, don't they??

I vote Essex. '29 seems a good year.

Cosmo

Attached Files:

6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Looks like 28/29 Essex to me also. The three rivets at the bottom of the w/s post, & the drop in the rear of the soft top are the same as my 29 Essex. Haven't looked real close at the 28/29 Hudson, may be similar.

Is the dash & gauge pkg still there? I noticed no pics of that area. Very little difference 'twixt the 28 & 29, but the dash gauge cluster, door handles, & some other small items were plain on the 28, & very ornate on the 29.

Nice find. Hope it saves. Possibly w/a Hudson 6 or v8? Supercharged, of course... :D .

Marcus...

7. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

Unfortunately, the dash and instrument cluster hasn't survived. But, I like that idea for the supercharged Hudson :D

8. Shame the visor wasn't there, but im with it being a 29 Essex, I found a body the same as that in 78 and made a pick up out of it. JW

9. IMG016.jpg IMG017.jpg IMG018.jpg I cant see the pics, so heres the diffrence between a 28 and 29 Hudson cowl. Essex was a smaller, lighter version, but may have used same cowls, im not sure. Green primer cowl =28 Hudson, while black n flamed =29 Hudson. 29 has fatter belt line.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  10. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, ccd;

Hudson v8 was a, IIRC, 320 cid Packard v8 w/Hudson rocker covers. Good engine, well suited to supercharging, or turbos... :D . Sixes are no slouch either.

Marcus...

11. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I think its the monster mobile.

12. desotot

desotot

My guess was 29 Essex.

13. Dyce

Dyce

Bummer that no doors are on the body. Essex doors would be hard to find.

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

15. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

It's a shame the doors are gone. And thanks for the ID guys!