Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lizbeths Model T speedster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lizbeth, Oct 29, 2013.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looks good Beth nice move on the gloves your hands will thank you later nice chatting with you earlier you and tim need to get your projects running and come to the hamb drags guess you could use your car to tow that dragster down the strip lol

Chrome don't get ya home

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Beth is at work today so I decied to use some solvent to clean the parts and get a better look at things, The ring gear was pretty chipped up and the houseing on the ring gear side was nicked up, But I couldn't find any pieces in the case even ran a magnet through the bucket of drained grease, So I figure someone had this one apart but didn't change out the ring and pinion,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

3. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Thanks for checking Back, I'll keep saving all the keep sakes from my build, Hunderd year old stuff is pretty cool to me,, Beth

4. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

It was nice talking to you too Randy,As for the gloves , even tho I like doing the work I really don't want my hands to look like Tim's:D , Useing the car for a tow car sounds like a cool idea, Talk to you again Beth

5. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Tim found some more damage this afternoon, The pins that hold the thrust washer in place were sheared off on the passenger side but the thrust washers look fine, maybe they put new ones in? Should we dig out another third member or use what we have? what do you guys think,,It's not like were going to take the car on a cross country trip:),,, Beth

Attached Files:

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

fun stuff :)

I'd crack open another

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

There were several axles already open, take a look at them if there not covered in possum poo.;)

8. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Thanks Paul, Were going to look through the barn an find another ,, Beth

9. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Thanks Bob , We talked to Robert Jr the possum and he says there's plenty, But bring the poop scraper to dig them out with:D:confused:, We'll let you know what we Find, Thanks again,, Let us know if we need to haul the trunk into work on sun,,:),, Beth

10. pumpman

pumpman

Beth, you just might meet that mouse again as you are going through that stuff, say hi for me.

11. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Hey Beth and Jim if those thrust washers are original babbitt washers throw them out. They are major saftey hazard as they tend to crumble and your differential will shift away from the pinion gear eliminating any braking capabilities (i.e. NO BRAKES). All the suppliers have bronze thrust washers and repair kits for the pins in your housings. Model T's have a drive line brakes only.Once the diff connection is disturbed no brakes. Your emergency brake is just a parking brake and doesn't work that well either. Also watch it when you pull the pinion gear off and replace. Use a good quality puller and stand off to the side as i have seen them fly across the shop when the come off with a bang. They are tourqed to over a 100 ft/lbs! When Clayton and took his apart it almost landed in the middle of the door on my dad's 1934 Phantom II Rolls was 4 feet away from the vise we were working on!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    manx4me likes this.
  12. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

The mouse doesn't concren me as much as that darn possum:)...Beth

13. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

I like brakes so the bronze it is....:) Thanks for the tip and your knowlage... Tim found another third member that looked good we will clean it out and check it tomorrow Beth and Tim

14. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

If you have checked out the Model T forum check it out. Tons of knowledge there and speedsters are welcome, several of the members there belong to the hamb as well. Are you groin to run a accessory transmission like a Warford, Muncie, or
    Chicago?

15. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Our Friend Bob (T27owner) has been telling us to get on the Model T forum also , We'll take a look tonite, Right now we're both new to Model T's so we will use the stock trans, Plus that's what we have to work with:),, Beth BTW We found the Bronze thrust in the Snyder's Catolog

16. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

The reason i asked is since you need to replace the ring and pinion why change it from stock gearing , is 13 tooth pinion gear to 40 tooth ring gear (3.63:1 gear ratio) to a 13:39 or (3:1 gear ratio). It will help in your speed department 3.63:1 gearing tops out around 35-40 mph where 3:1 gearing will get you up to 45-50mph. Especially if you going to run a light body or no body at all ( a Rootleib Special) 3:1 gearing would be perfect.

If you were going to run a Warford or Chicago now would be the time todo it as you need to take a Foot out of the driveshaft to fit the gearbox in there.

Are you hopping the motor up? On the "Becker Special" we run a new high compression head,3/4 race cam, stock stainless steel valve, adjustable lifters, model A exhaust manifold and intake with a Stromberg 97 carb. All parts bought out of the suppliers catalog ( except the camshaft which was done in Spokane for me but was like 45.00 for the regrind). I have driven our car up too around 55-60 mph with this engine and have seen this same set up in a full fendered stock 1926 Model T touring car as well keep up with modern traffic going up some pretty steep grades.

17. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Right now we are planning on keeping the running gear pretty much stock, We are consentrating on finishing our Comp Coupe , After that we'll see:D:eek:, Beth

Attached Files:

18. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Today we changed out the ring grear ,from the parts we got from Bob (T27owner) got everything cleaned up and painted still need to change the pinion Gear,, Just have to torque the bolts down and rewire them,, and stick it all back together,,,, Our dog Buddy was beyond himself with excitement:rolleyes:,,,,Beth

Attached Files:

19. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Looking good. Nice comp coupe there. Yeah finish one project at a time or none will get done.

20. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Today we got the third member together, Waiting til we get the bronze thrust washers to finish putting it all back together, Tim checked the net last nite to see what to torque the ring bolts too , all said tighten snug and wire up, So Tim tighten one til it broke and did it alittle less on the rest of them:D:D, I got the fun of wireing bolts today:rolleyes::mad:, Kinda of a pain for these old fingers:(, ,All fits and feels good ,,,, BTW Powerwagonmanic1 we watched you and Mr model T's vids today, That was great to see, Loved the horn:D,,, Beth

Attached Files:

21. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Still waiting to get the parts to finish the rearend for the T, So I decided to clean up my work room in the barn where I keep the T,just have to get my workbench set up:rolleyes:,,It will be nice when I get all my tools moved up here,,, Plus a couple pics of my new copilot Shiloh . and his dad Buddy:),,, Beth

Attached Files:

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Anyone have drawings of lowering the steering? We had found some now don't remember where we saw them ,,, Tim Jones

23. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Lizbeth Hows the weather out your way? It sure is staying cold here in Northern Indiana. I want to invite you and Tim to the Hillclimb at Newport Indiana. It is held the first weekend in Oct. 2014. I realize this is a long time off but you would really enjoy it. You will see every kind of old pre1955 stock wink wink, speedsters from all over mid- America.The Wife and I will put you up and be your guides for the Weekend. You think about it, and we will see ya. Oh I forgot we have some drag strips close by. Well keep warm and hug your puppys. Don in Frozen Inaiana.:D

24. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Weathers been up and down,:mad: The hillclimb sounds like a good time , We will keep it mind, Thanks you again for the invite:) Beth

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Anybody? Thanks Tim Jones

26. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

27. Indian

Indian
    from Sweden

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Subscribed!

29. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Thanks you very much , the page had just the kind of info we were looking for being I wanted to retain the stock firewall,, Beth

30. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Thanks for looking, waiting for a break in the weather to start hitting it hard again:mad:,,,,, Beth