Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

What about something like this...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389247178.059491.jpg

I am not sure what they are off of, but look like they would fill that opening well and they still have the small bullet look to the top

So many projects..so little time

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. '52 Oldsmobile 88, I think.

3. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

I looked around a bit, including little pages and other sources. I agree... back in the 50's there were lots of different styles.

The first thing that I thought when I saw the frenched taillights: 1955/1956 "LEE" lenses. The '54's were an oval. The '55/56 might not fit, but could be "tunneled" into the openings (or Buick "LEE" lenses). I also like the idea of mesh with the round lights.

It's Leland's dream car....so ultimately, we are all just throwing things at the wall hoping something will stick (in his mind)!!!!!!!

James D: I like the rounded hood corners!

Speaking of which...at this late in the game I am just going to say it. IMO the hood would look better with a pancake (bring that peak down a few inches) and the '52 Chev lip/eyebrow moulding cut with the middle attached to the lip of the hood and all painted body color.

Maroon/ Burgundy would look good (period perfect). Purple is still a good choice too! Pastels were really hot in the 50's too!!!! A Mopar Peachy orange, or violet would look good with a "Winfield" touch (flip flop, candy, fade or just a custom mix). At any rate.... we can't wait to see!

Here's the "Moonglow" '54 for the heck of it. VERY remotely similar to Lelands taillight treatment.

And for giggles: the front end and the Plymouth pic you posted before. Detroit started flattening their hoods by the mid-fifties.

Take my comments with all due respect and a grain of salt. I can't speak for everyone else, but this is just too cool to see a REAL 50's Kustom time capsule being finished with the original owner AND Original fabricator/ Craftsman/ Legend both ALIVE and INVOLVED!!!!!!!!!

One more thing...... is that Leland on the cake or Gene? Looks like Gene!

Attached Files:

4. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Sorry.....

Here are the pics of the front end and the Plymouth.

Attached Files:

5. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I was thinking the same thing but have no skills in photoshopping. Would it be too pronounced if it was brought out even with the headlight suround?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. silvertonguedevil

silvertonguedevil
    from Vale, OR

[​IMG]

I like this one here. Pull that top light out just a tad so that it follows the slant of the opening, put something behind it (chrome, stainless mesh, etc) and voila! It stays true to the original design but just finishes it.

If not, my second choice would be the '55 Buick taillights but just the lenses, not the whole enchilada.

7. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Right on, Can't wait to see where it goes from here!

8. Or maybe make the one on the bottom a back up light. Either way that looks good.

9. willymakeit

willymakeit

This has been interesting and informative. Has anyone asked Mr. Winfield for ideas ?

10. 48buickkid

48buickkid

This is one sick looking custom. I must say against pancaking the hood or messing with the rear body work. I think that with ss mesh or chrome backing the current tail lights with a slight tunnel job would fit the bill more than perfectly.

You have come this far righting the wrong on the front end don't make a wrong trying to do right with the rear. If the lights must be changed in my opinion I would go with the common trend of Lucite that was done at the time but not flat. There are kits that allow you to make your own tail lights your own custom molds. This would allow you to tailor fit the opening without changing it vs attempting to try and adapt a stock lens.

Keep up with the good work and let Leland know there is a 21 year old from Ohio that thinks his car is far out. I'm subscribed and will be watching to see the outcome of this awesome story. We do need some pics of the interior though. The car on the outside blows my mind wondering what the inside looks like.

11. Bubble Lucite lenses

Attached Files:

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

13. Excellent! :cool:
    That´s all it needs.

14. sinticket

sinticket

Great story! It is looking amazing! Subscribed

15. Boom...Perfect.

16. cabong

cabong

Finally, as the song says, with a little help from my friends, I have managed to upload a video. Actually, alotta help. This is kinda an initial introduction to Leland. I will post subsequent meetings, with details of this kruizer and Leland's association with Gene. Please feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. Leland is enjoying this entire process, and is tickled to talk about. Remember, he has 63 years of memories wrapped around this puppy.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  17. Someone needs to make this happen! Looks great.

18. Thanks for posting that interview, looking forward to the next installment.

19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

So great of you, to ma the video with the owner! You talked about, so nice to see him.

When did he drive his car last?
    Is it him who makes the calls or is it a CoOp between You, Him and Gene?
    Did Gene do his thing, or did lelan go i want this to go here and I want them rear 1/4 on like this etc.

20. cabong

cabong

Great questions.......I asked Leland about the original design and modifications. The video below tells how it was. Needless to say, he doesn't go into detail on all the changes, but that will all come out. We are pretty much following that same game plan today. All modifications are cleared with Leland and Gene. Again, so far we have concentrated on the grille and bumper, as that area was never really completed.
    Ya know, Leland, Nick and I are having a ball with this endeavor, and that's why it's being shared here. All gearheads and taildraggers should have the opportunity to participate, and share in a project like this. That's why I mentioned before that it's not just us, it's all of you guys that are bringing the huge smile to Leland's mug. He is reading every single post, and looking at every single picture. I'd like to think that we are making his 87th year one of his best. Keep it up.

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Great video! Looking forward to more. Good day to you, Leland!

22. x2...

23. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Very kool! Looking good, Leland. Let's get this car done!

24. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

What a great way to bring the history of Leland's custom to everybody. Your documentation and work on the car is going to make it a very special project to a lot of folks. I'm looking forward to future installments and of course can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks Leland for sharing this special history . Stu

25. papo49merc

papo49merc
    from La Habra

Awesome video. Love to here those old stories. Man Leland has a great mind.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  26. That's really cool!! When I bought my 1936, I tracked down the owner that bought it back in 1961 in shambles and started restoring it but life got sidetracked for him. He sold it to a guy up where I live and then I bought it from him still needing assembled . I found some old boxes with a guys name on it and did searches on the internet. It turned out th e still lived in Olympia where he had purchased the car. I called a number and asked him if he use to own a 1936 Ford. He said he did. I got it all back together called Russ ( the owner since 1961)and drove 100 miles on its maiden voyage which was not pleasant due to a bad wheel imbalance. But I made the trek and he was so excited to be reunited once again that he invited his best friend that originally found the car and his family came to see it. Russ Albert is his name and he is now 93. It's great to share with the people that were there as they may be older but they still enjoy their history and memories!!!!

27. extra cheese

extra cheese

His-story! History! Wow! Gene is a machine! I don't know how many cars he's put out, a whole helluva lot, everyone of em just AWEsome! N to run across n early one. Doesn't sound like it was luck. Sounds like it was meant to be. Right on man! I'm so excited! I can only imagine how excited everyone directly involved is.

Can you post the name of the video? Dot why It's not taking me to it.
    Thanks

N thanks for sharing!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Hyfire

Hyfire

Thanks for sharing the videos. It's so great to hear this kind of stuff from the original source. What a great car and great history. Leland is awesome. THANK YOU!

29. raymay

raymay

Great seeing the Videos. This is the kind of history you don't learn in books. Real life experience about a couple of cool guys we can all relate to. I hope Leland and Gene can get together again. That would make one awesome video.
    All the best to Leland and his family. You and Nick are doing a great job.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The video interviews with Leland are the icing on this project! Really great to hear him talk about the way the car came to be!