Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. 1948 Playboy:

Production was started in the former Chevrolet Plant No. 1 on Kenmore Avenue by the Playboy Motor Car Corp. amid plans to build 100,000 cars a year and expand the line to include a station wagon and two sedans. Only 97 were ever produced before the company was forced into bankruptcy.

Here are two
    [SIZE=+3]original factory photographs[/SIZE].
    One photo is in bad condition but is still a treasure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PA-Comet

PA-Comet

3. What happened to jimi'shemi? He used to post prolifically on here but haven't seen any followups lately.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

According to his profile he was on the HAMB yesterday afternoon.

5. http://www.oldbios.com/pennsylvania/949/huselton-e-c
    Huselton, E. C.

Submitted Thu March 17, 2011 - 22:33 by Old Bios

E. C. Huselton is one of the prominent automobile men in the city of Butler, Pennsylvania, where he has been engaged in this business for twenty years. He is the owner of the Huselton Automobile Company, 111 West North Street. He was born in Butler, July 5, 1883, a son of B. C. and Agnes (Shaw) Huselton.
    B. C. Huselton was born in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, in 1848, the son of Theodore Huselton, who came to Butler County in 1858 and settled on a farm near Butler. He later removed to the city of Butler, where he became engaged in the oil and real estate business. He was also engaged for a time in banking at Greece City. B. C. Huselton was a school boy when his father moved to Butler County, and the first work he did was photography during the Civil War. Later he engaged with his father in the shoe business under the firm name of B. C. Huselton.
    Later he purchased his father's business and property and has thus been actively engaged ever since. He is the oldest merchant in the city of Butler and is at his place of business every day. In the early days he brought his stock from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, over the old plank road. In 1873 he purchased the ground on North Main Street and erected a two story building, which he has since occupied. Mr. Huselton is a highly respected citizen and has many friends. He married, first, Jennie Reed, a daughter of Captain Reed, a prominent resident of Allegheny City, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Huselton died two years after her marriage. He married second, Miss Agnes Shaw, a daughter of James Shaw, of McKeesport, Pennsylvania, and to this union the following children were born: E. C., the subject of this sketch ; James, resides at Venice, Florida. He is assistant to the manager of the Venice project. The property belongs to the Locomotive Engineers Society. He is a veteran of the World War, serving in Archangel, Russia, with the U. S. Army, and was later transferred to the Red Cross in charge of transportation through Siberia. He was commissioned a captain in the Red Cross ; and Francis, married John Shaw, a wholesale grocer, resides at East Liberty, Pennsylvania.
    E. C. Huselton was educated in the public schools of Butler, Butler High School, and was graduated from Mercersburg Academy in 1902. After leaving college he went into his father's business. In 1906 he went to Johnstown, Pennsylvania, where he worked for Frank Rosen-steel. In 1907 he returned to Butler and became associated with his father. In 1906 he, in partnership with Fred Wright, organized an automobile company, and were agents for the Reliance automobile. Mr. Huselton and Mr. Wright sold the first automobiles in Butler County.
    In 1907 Mr. Huselton took on the agency for the Maxwell-Briscoe automobiles, and in 1911 became the Hudson agent. In 1916 he took on the Cadillac agency. The Cadillac and Hudson cars were closed out in 1920, when Mr. Huselton became agent for the Reo and Pierce Arrow cars. Mr. Huselton has built up a well ordered and prosperous business, his garage being modern in equipment and facilities required for giving service to his patrons.
    In 1907 Mr. Huselton was married to Miss Lyda Burtner, a daughter of John and Susan (Crisswell) Burtner, natives of Butler County. Mr. Burtner, who is now deceased, was located with the Purvis Planing Mill Company. His widow resides in Butler. To Mr. and Mrs. Huselton five children have been born: Helen, a graduate of Butler High School, is her father's stenographer ; Jane, Chandler, Edgar, and Suzanne, all students.
    Mr. Huselton is a Republican and a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is affiliated with Butler Lodge F. and A. M. 272 ; the Butler Chapter R. A. M. No. 273 ; Lorain Commandery, K. T. No. 87; New Castle Lodge of Perfection ; New Castle Rose Croix ; Penn Consistory, Valley of Pittsburgh, thirty-second degree ; Syria Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S. ; Syria Caravan No. 14, A. A. 0. N. M. S. ; United Commercial Travelers ; and the Butler Automobile Dealers Association.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sorry to be out of touch, guys and gals. My heart hasn't been in much of anything "business-as-usual" since we lost our youngest daughter Caity, 22, in a motorcycle accident in June. She'd been riding near five years since getting her first bike right out of high school. But, all cyclists hate loose gravel almost more than any hazard, and an unseen patch of gravel is what got her. Near seven months on now, and I hope to get out of the zombie mode in this new year. The HAMB is like family, so I know everybody will understand my being AWOL a while. -- Jim

(PS: Mike, thanks for the wake-up call, buddy.)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  7. 41hemi

41hemi

My heart dropped reading your post Jimmy........You and your family are now in my prayers. I have a 23 year old son and a 26 year old daughter. Need I say any more? Hope to talk to you soon here on the HAMB:) Al Bateman AKA 41hemi

8. Jimi, I am so very sorry for your tragic loss. I was afraid something was wrong when your posts dropped off. I pray that you can cope with what life has dealt you. We never really get over our losses but with time we can survive them.
    Take your time, we will still be here when you feel up to posting again.

9. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

Glad to see you back! More prayers from my heart to yours'!

Tom

<mytubeelement data="{&quot;bundle&quot;:{&quot;label_delimitor&quot;:&quot;:&quot;,&quot;percentage&quot;:&quot;%&quot;,&quot;smart_buffer&quot;:&quot;Smart Buffer&quot;,&quot;start_playing_when_buffered&quot;:&quot;Start playing when buffered&quot;,&quot;sound&quot;:&quot;Sound&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification&quot;:&quot;Desktop Notification&quot;,&quot;continuation_on_next_line&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;loop&quot;:&quot;Loop&quot;,&quot;only_notify&quot;:&quot;Only Notify&quot;,&quot;estimated_time&quot;:&quot;Estimated Time&quot;,&quot;global_preferences&quot;:&quot;Global Preferences&quot;,&quot;no_notification_supported_on_your_browser&quot;:&quot;No notification style supported on your browser version&quot;,&quot;video_buffered&quot;:&quot;Video Buffered&quot;,&quot;buffered&quot;:&quot;Buffered&quot;,&quot;hyphen&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;buffered_message&quot;:&quot;The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.&quot;,&quot;not_supported&quot;:&quot;Not Supported&quot;,&quot;on&quot;:&quot;On&quot;,&quot;off&quot;:&quot;Off&quot;,&quot;click_to_enable_for_this_site&quot;:&quot;Click to enable for this site&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification_denied&quot;:&quot;You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site&quot;,&quot;notification_status_delimitor&quot;:&quot;;&quot;,&quot;error&quot;:&quot;Error&quot;,&quot;adblock_interferance_message&quot;:&quot;Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.&quot;,&quot;calculating&quot;:&quot;Calculating&quot;,&quot;waiting&quot;:&quot;Waiting&quot;,&quot;will_start_buffering_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start buffering when initialized&quot;,&quot;will_start_playing_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start playing when initialized&quot;,&quot;completed&quot;:&quot;Completed&quot;,&quot;buffering_stalled&quot;:&quot;Buffering is stalled. Will stop.&quot;,&quot;stopped&quot;:&quot;Stopped&quot;,&quot;hr&quot;:&quot;Hr&quot;,&quot;min&quot;:&quot;Min&quot;,&quot;sec&quot;:&quot;Sec&quot;,&quot;any_moment&quot;:&quot;Any Moment&quot;,&quot;popup_donate_to&quot;:&quot;Donate to&quot;,&quot;extension_id&quot;:null},&quot;prefs&quot;:{&quot;desktopNotification&quot;:true,&quot;soundNotification&quot;:true,&quot;logLevel&quot;:0,&quot;enable&quot;:true,&quot;loop&quot;:false,&quot;hidePopup&quot;:true,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:false,&quot;autoBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBufferPercentage&quot;:42,&quot;autoPlayOnSmartBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;quality&quot;:&quot;default&quot;,&quot;fshd&quot;:false,&quot;onlyNotification&quot;:false,&quot;enableFullScreen&quot;:true,&quot;saveBandwidth&quot;:false,&quot;hideAnnotations&quot;:false,&quot;turnOffPagedBuffering&quot;:false}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{&quot;loadBundle&quot;:true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, all. What I have learned is that it's nothing like losing somebody who lived 50 to 80 years. This is a world-changer, a game-changer. I can never look at anything the same. But, I never knew just how many friends I/we had! There's no such thing as "the right words," but, believe me, every well-meant word or hug since June 18, 2013, DID help somehow.

For only 22, Caity was pretty wise, and I'll hold these words of hers dear: "Love those who treat you right, and forget those who don't." Though, like any parent of a youngster, I made no secret of worrying that she could, or should, have been more careful with the life she loved, I will be eternally PROUD of her for living life her own way. She loved horses, dogs and anything with wheels and a motor!

Anyone who wants to take it over to PM and get off this main thread, please do. (1) I want to help others in similar situations, but (2) I will arrange to get a DVD of a hundred pix of our "Tater" growing up to you. You see it, and you just KNOW what a special kid she was, and what a special spirit still lives in this world.

As always, I say THANKS to Ryan & the hard-working mods. God bless the HAMB, and all of you brothers and sisters! -- Jim-Bo

11. 1964 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 FOUR-DOOR. 10 built 3 F-85s 7 Deluxes Still looking for survivors.

[​IMG]

Spoggie likes this.
  12. Cash Prophet

Cash Prophet

Can you help identify my truck year? 1392351688809.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. 1934 Dodge

[​IMG]

14. abgogal

abgogal
    from Canada

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I had never heard of the Heine-Velox before I stumbled across this thread. I was fascinated by the story and started to do a little digging to see if I could find out what happened to the later models. I believe the information in Jim's post above is not quite accurate. So here goes. I'll provide links in my post to my sources of information and see if I can get the story straight.

First, in the V-12 period (1921-1923 ) we know five vehicles were produced: a Sporting Victoria, three sedans and one limousine. And we know for sure the one in Fairbanks at the Fountain Head Museum is the Sporting Victoria. That's one accounted for.

"The second and third vehicles, a sedan and the limousine, were stored at Heine's residence until 1953, when they were obtained by Louis D'Julio of Fremont, California. He kept them for twenty years and in 1973 sold them to James Brucker, Sr., of the Brucker Automobile Collection in Los Angeles. From 1976 the two cars were displayed at the Brucker's museum, Movieworld Cars of the Stars in Buena Park, California. The museum and some of the cars were auctioned off in 1980 and the two Heine-Velox's were put into storage in Santa Paula, California. Dennis Mc Cowan of Branford, Connecticut purchased the limousine." [FONT=&quot](source)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> We now know what happened to the limousine. It was a basket case, but restored by Fantom Works in Norfolk, VA as noted by Jim above.

[​IMG]

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
    <!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->"Downeast Moveableart acquired the limousine from the Mc Cowan's in October of 1996. Restoration was begun by Kiwi Engineering(Greg Hunt), Final Finish(David Secor), and Hudson Valley Auto Interiors(Greg Georgi). The front axle of the limousine was missing, as were parts of the headlamps and nameplates; the dashboard had few instruments. Downeast conducted research and found Mr. Wycham on Long Island. He had stored boxes of information from Mrs. Dahl, (Heine's daugther) that revealed original glass negatives of the Heine Factory, documents on the car, copies of articles, patent worksheets as well as advertising worksheets. Kiwi Engineering was able to begin fabrication of the front suspension and the four-wheel hydraulic brakes. The Weidely V-12 engine was missing several parts and the crankshaft needed replacing. Downeast was able to acquire an additional engine from a 1921 Hal. This engine provided the necessary parts to restore one complete engine as well as the missing gas gauges. Nameplates, hubs and other missing parts were cast using samples from the SportingVictoria as guides. Research showed a padded leather top was missing. Hudson Valley Auto Interiors installed a new one, using three complete hides and following patterns showing the Heine-Velox emblem stitched into the top. All wood was replaced or refinished ? including the dash and the fender trim. Original cast copper running boards, radiator shell and trim were rebuilt, recast and polished as were required. The frame and body were restored and re-painted in an attractive period paint scheme. The wood artillery wheels were rebuilt using Stanley Steamer rims as patterns. The car runs great and is as powerful as any .Deusenberg of the era. Kiwi Engineering completely rebuilt balanced and blueprinted the Weidely V-12 engine and restored it to concourse condition." (source)

This 1923 Heine-Velox V-12 Limousine was displayed at the 2002 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and sold shortly thereafter by AutoCollections in Las Vegas. Some wonderful pictures of the car still exist on their site at this address. Compare those photos to the one above! As advertised:

<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->1921 HEINE-VELOX V-12 LIMOUSINE
    The restoration of this one-of-a-kind Heine-Velox limousine was made possible by: DownEast Moveable Art, Kiwi Engineering, Final Finish, Hudson Valley Auto Interiors, Mr. Wickham-Historical and Technical Background Information, and Andrea Rimberg-Mascot. The car runs great and is as powerful as any Duesenberg of the era. Kiwi Engineering completely rebuilt balanced and blueprinted the V-12 engine and restored it to concourse condition.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Interestingly, the car is advertised as both a 1921 and 1923 model. Cars At Large shows several pictures of the car and reports: "The vehicle pictured here, can be viewed at the Blackhawk Collection, where it is currently for sale for $300,000." Well, no. I think, as we will see, someone is getting the "chicken coop" Heine-Velox and the limousine mixed up again.

Okay, that accounts for the limousine. I have no idea who purchased it or where it resides currently. Now we have three sedans to account for. This is where it gets interesting!
    <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

15. abgogal

abgogal
    from Canada

So, in the Heine-Velox V-12 period (1921-1923 ) , we've accounted for the Sporting Victoria, the limousine and one sedan so far.

<!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> "The fourth car, another sedan similar to the one sold to the Brucker Automobile Collection, was given to Heine's brother Fred, of Santa Rosa, California in the 1930's. Fred was sickly and a clumsy driver so he gave the car to his sister Rosalie Heine High and her family soon thereafter. The High family found the car too unwieldy and left it out by a chicken coop, where Henry F. Straug, of Santa Rosa discovered and bought the abandoned treasure in 1973. Although the car had been out in all weather, it was basically sound, except for a missing radiator and shell; the top was gone too. Straub kept it until 1978, when he sold it to the present owner, a collector from Colorado." source (This information was posted in 2003.)

So, it was a sedan - not the limousine - that was the "chicken coop" car we keep hearing about! A collector from Colorado bought the car in 1978. Apparently it was this car that was advertised for sale in Hemmings 25 years later in 2003.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
    <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> A Kevin Tikker picks up the story in a post from 2006 on the Cars At Large blog:

"I don't know if you've run across it, but I wrote an article on the history of the marque over 20 years ago. The one at Blackhawk was given to a Heine family member, where it eventually ended up in the backyard as a chicken coop. I lost all trace of the car, until I had a lead that the car had been acquired by some eccentric private equipment operator, but I never actually contacted him. A couple of years ago the car appeared out of the blue, "restored", and has been on ebay, the Imperial Palace collection and now Black Hawk."

<!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> So, this fourth car, the "chicken coop" sedan, would be the one currently on display in Shanghi at the Shanghai Auto Museum, on loan from Blackhawk. There are some nice pictures of it there. I can see where this gets confusing as the sedan appears to be the same color as the limo, but they are different cars.

[​IMG]

The Morris Register (Page 15) adds more details: "By 2005 the sedan had been restored and was in the Blackhawk Museum in California. It has since been loaned to the Shanghai Automotive Museum and continues to be owned by the Blackhawk Collection Inc."

So, again, while it looks similar, the one on display in Shanghai is obviously not the limo we talked about above.

The fifth car, another sedan, was reportedly either destroyed by fire or hit by a train. (source) So we know for sure where three of the cars currently are. There's still that one sedan supposedly sitting "in storage in Santa Paula, California" that nobody talks about. Anybody have any idea what the story is on that car, what kind of condition it is or anything about it?

<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

16. murf 32

murf 32

Ya might like this one, as far as i know there was only ten built

Attached Files:

17. Cash Prophet

Cash Prophet

Thank you thank you!..... I need to find a windshield lower curved frame..do you know if 33-34 are compatable?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Strange but interesting glassfibre body, but well beyond the capabilities of its 1489cc BMC B-series four:
    [​IMG]

19. OldVWs

OldVWs
    from Ohio

20. hillbillyheart

hillbillyheart
    from Calgary

my 1928 plymouth coupe...#3604 off the line is pretty rare!

Attached Files:

21. Total Malibu SS 396 production was 201 cars with one reportedly a convertible. It is not known to survive. About 65 Z16 coupes in restored or unrestored condition still exist making them one of the rarest and most desirable muscle cars

http://www.z16chevelle.com/Z16 History.htm

[​IMG]

Z16 was the RPO (Regular Production Option) code given to the 396 engine option in the 1965 Chevelle and was used internally by Chevrolet. The Z16 is the 1965 Malibu SS 396 and was almost never referred to by the Z16 RPO number except in a few non-public Chevrolet documents.

The 396 engine specified for the Z16 was the L37 375 horsepower version. The L37 was a heavy duty engine with forged crank and pistons, 4 bolt main bearing caps, large port heads, an aluminum intake manifold with a Holley carburetor and an hydraulic camshaft. Other Chevrolets would also receive the 396. The full size Chevrolet got the 325 hp and 425 hp version, the Corvette benefited from the 425 hp 396. The Z16&#8217;s L37 375 hp and the potent 425 hp engines differed only in their camshafts: the 425 hp version received a more radical, mechanical lifter design.

22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Croxton-Keeton (had a real turn of the century Renault look to them).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  23. chrisp

chrisp

This came to our shop : 1897 Panhard, apparently with original Daimler engine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty neat car, if you're not careful with the clutch you can actually pop a wheelie.

Spoggie likes this.
  24. chump

chump
    from detroit
    1. Vintage Trailers

1936 A 1082 (640x480).jpg uburn 654

25. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Found this painted on the side of an old building in portland IN while I was back in indiana visiting relatives.
    Elwood Haynes was born in Portland but his family moved to kokomo when he was young.

Attached Files:

26. John Webster

John Webster

Another Loewy streamlining design was the Pennsylvania Railroad's T-1, depicted here with Loewy pacing it in the Studebaker he designed:
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. Loewy designed most of the streamlined locomotives for the PRR during that period, including the GG1, the redeisgned P5A and K4 steam loco.

28. willyscoupe

willyscoupe