Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Merc Project w/ Jason Grimes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LouMerc51, Jan 9, 2014.

1. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

I've been searching for a Mercury for years but they have always seemed out of my price range. I recently found a pretty decent 51 just a few hours away from Louisville. The original owner had it in a garage until 2007 when a metal fabricator bought it. Unfortunately he passed away and the deal landed in my lap. I contacted Jason Grimes, a guy I've been wanting to work with for a couple years now (best hot rod and custom guy this side of the Ozarks). He was down for the project that I've always wanted to do, a chopped traditionally styled Merc. My idea of traditional might differ from others so keep an open mind. I have been reading the Hamb for quite some time now but recently joined. I'm brand new to Mercs, excuse me if I ask already answered questions. They sound better coming from me. Jk Lol It's been about 10 below outside so I haven't done much. The cars getting moved to Jason's garage in a few weeks. I'll get much better pics. Until then this is what I got.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389290739.224442.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389290749.054011.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389290761.909082.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389290787.292078.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389290828.193734.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Looks like a great car to start with, Have your basic "vision" for car squared away before your builder gets too far into project, like building anything , changes always $$$ bite you, but with time, ideas change, we all do that. Good luck and keep us posted with the progress, will subscribe to your build thread when you start it. Disclaimer! Free advice is sometimes worth the price paid. John [ Subscribed ]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

I'm actually trying to figure out how to change the prefix now to a build thread lol.

4. I have a '51, best of luck. Subscribing.

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Welcome to the Hamb, and we're glad to have you on board... Don't worry about asking questions that have already been answered. Ask away. I would encourage you to use the search function and try to find answers as well. You'll stumble across all kinds of Mercury info that you didn't realize you need to know...

To edit the thread title click on the red "edit" button in the lower right corner, then click "go advanced" and you'll find the area to change the thread title. To change the prefix after it's been posted, you may have to PM a moderator.

6. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

Thanks guys, I've got a couple weeks til it goes to shop. I've been trying to get my gauges figured out. I can't find a single place that sells an after market gauge cluster to fit in the stock dash. Does anyone make one?

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Williamson instruments, can refinish and convert them all to 12v. Unless you want something digital. That's who I use

8. good luck and enjoy- it's unbelievable but merc's can be the mother of all scavenger hunts....join up Bad Bobs merc club and follow along...pro stock has got a great parts list- dr detroit has a great build thread and slddmatt is a fantastic builder....exk does some great frame work..and theres at least 5 or 6 more that I'm missing ..take some time at nights and search past threads on here- some guys have got some really good ones you can follow along on

9. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

@Matt, I have Dakota Digital now. I listed them on eBay. I'd like to go with a stewart warner setup. I may have a gauge pod made to fit in the stock dash. I have a guy that would restore my stock gauges for $900. I can't see spending that much on gauges that I'm not even to crazy about.

@moon, thanks I have subscribed to a few already. There is def tons of great info.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Unless you're going for a full restoration, $900 for stock gauges is insane. I got working replacements on ebay for $25-$35 each.

Digital dashes aren't my thing. Reminds me too much of the 1980s.

11. Mike, working OEM replacements or aftermarket ones?

12. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

That was my thoughts. I got the Dakota Digital with the car. $900 was about average out of the 5 places I spoke with. That's to restore and convert. I've been watching eBay but nothing came up yet.

13. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

Alright pretty certain I got my gauges figured out.

Now, what's some good looking Ford/Lincoln/Merc hubcaps? I was thinking 55 Mercury caps.

14. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

LouMerc51
    What did you decide on your gauges?

15. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

I bought a set of Stewart Warner gauges and I'm making a stainless cluster/bezel to slide in through the front of the dash instrument panel. So now I have a set of stock gauges ($800 min. to restore) and some Dakota digitals for sale.

16. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

I'm looking for a front bench seat if anyone in Merc land knows where I can score one of those bad boys. Riding on newly recovered 69 Lincoln buckets right meow.

17. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

Gues I won't be running the Stewart Warner's I ordered. To big to look good.

18. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Are you sure your old gauges do not work? You can still use them if they work. A voltage reducer will allow a 12v system to use 6v gauges. I took my gauges apart, repainted them, and put them back together. They look like new.

19. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  20. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

I'm not sure if they would work but they look pretty rough. I found a really nice set of stockers for $160 on eBay. I think mine set out in the weather for awhile. They were just laying in the garage when I found the car. I think I read on your thread Doc that you used a headlight cleaning kit for your gauge lens?

21. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Yes, I did use a headlight cleaning kit for cleaning the clear plastic piece that covers the gauges. I never saw them for sale anywhere. After I spent many hours making my 60 year old plastic look like new, I see someone finally started reproducing them for sale on ebay for $75-100. I think the lettering and number font may be a little but different on the repops.

22. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

Hey, at least you have something to be proud of with yours. I'm gonna use my lens because the one I bought has spider cracks in it.

23. I've always been curious as to why people have to say they have subscribed?
    I just do it anyway.
    Should I need to tell someone and why?:eek:

24. robertsregal

robertsregal

Great lookin Merc keep the progress pics coming!

25. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

Thanks man, it's been so EFFING cold here in Louisville. I haven't been able to do much other than pull the interior out. It's suppose to be in the shop by now but snow has kept it at a stand still. I'm using my time and every penny I have to buy parts. Which is like a full time job.

26. Your one of the CQQL kids!:)

27. I do but I think it encourages folks to keep updating the build threads.

28. fittyford

fittyford
    from Oregon

I've always been curious as to why people have to say they have subscribed?
    I just do it anyway.
    Should I need to tell someone and why?
    when I see someone say "Im subscribed" It gets me exited for the thread even if its not mine, and it also lets you know they have the same interest.I just recently got my 51 merc running and its been a long build, i will subscribe to this thread. i like seeing other peoples build ideas and what the come up with.
    2 cents!! and just thoughts

29. The stock gauges are 6 volt, hard/easy to convert to 12 bolt? I need to find a stock dash for my car.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Should just be a matter of putting in a voltage drop and reversing the Ammeter since you've switched polarity (positive ground to negative ground). Very simple to run 6V gauges on a 12V car. You'll want 12V bulbs as well.