Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking at Buying a Wrecked 50 Merc...How High Would You Go ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellerlj, Jan 6, 2014.

1. metalman

metalman

Close. Lots of body shops around here at $55 or less an hour. Some times I think adding "New" in front of Mexico doesn't change things much!

2. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Whats the shop rate in your neck of the woods??

3. I would say 4 to 5 thousand would be max salvage value.

4. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I saw the one you posted, And while it looks like a decent buy It needs everything!...As I said in my first post This car is a "Flippers Gravy build" I never said it was the way to go for someone who's dream car is a 50 merc. As I believe that they should start from scratch, So they can do everything the way they want it. As far as cars not selling, We just had a mecum auction Dec 5th-7th And Cars were selling for big money all weekend.

5. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Ok, For now We will just agree to disagree on the value of this car. Lets wait until it the auction ends And see which One or One's get a lesson on old car market value here.

6. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I couldn't tell you as I haven't been to one in years (I do my own stuff) but I hear the bones get $100 per guy per hour. This is what I've heard. I don't know this to be a fact though. Hell the radiator shop down the street gets almost $90!

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Waiting on the climax.Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Is that a fly in your gravy?? Put dollar figures on the repair not just your feelings. Try selling that blue red and yellow interior to some one.. yes you can sell it... but how long do you have to wait for the right buyer??

Where is the O/P?? Whats his feelings on this now???

9. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

LOL yea, I may still be living in the past.....were better off doing our own stuff, no one to blame if its not quite right, but happy if its good enough...

10. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

LOL and be sure to tune into another episode of "as the bondo flies!" :D
    Seriously, were not hitting the climax yet?? Im just about out of beer.:(

11. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Honestly??....I do not even understand your question, What does that have to do with anything. If I had to wait a year it would still be better money than my bank is paying on any of my CD's.....Let me just clue you in on something, I know what I am talking about when it comes to buying, selling, and building hotrods and customs. I have been doing it all my life. I never really had a 9-5 normal job. I have stuck with it through the hard times And the good, And it has been really good to me. I own my home, Shop, Equipment and more hot rods and projects than any one person needs. Bottomline is I could buy this car for around 10K have it shipped to my place, Fixed and most likely sold inside of 90 days. with a projected profit of 10-15K based on a 35K sell price. I know what these cars sell for at auction in clean driveable condition. As far as the ugly interior goes, I have seen many guys buy done cars and send them out for new interior and new paint. The buyers who will spend 30-35K on a hot rod like this. Does not buy a 2-3K rusted project and wait 5 years for it. I know what I am talking about as this is my business. I do not work at walmart or piggly wiggly. Hot rods is what I do. I have said enough, just because you may or may not be able to afford it does not mean it is not worth it. A 50 merc is one of the top selling customs out there.

12. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

One last swig of beer, a slight chuckle, and off to bed.....

13. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

lol......

14. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

You guys are killing me....:D

15. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

LOL.....Hell Jim this is nothing!.....You should see us when we have had plenty of sleep...LOL

16. metalman

metalman

I'm with Cowtown on this one since I do the same, I buy and sell hot rods. The real world I like to buy 80's/ 90's pastel/ billit/ tweed street rods, they can be had for less then the hard parts would cost alone, sometimes not much more then a good builder. Change the paint, interior , wheels and some trim stuff to bring it up to the current trends (lucky for me more traditional hot rods are in!) and sell it at auction. A whole lot cheaper then building a car from scratch and really not much differance on the selling price if it's a fresh build or updated older build. None of them are what I'd build as a keeper ( I'd HAVE to start from scratch) but thats ok, the new owners are happy and that's all that matters.
    Bottom line if it was closer I'd be real interested in this Merc as a flipper, it's an easy one, but no way as a keeper.

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Meh! Sleep is over rated.

18. PushnFords

PushnFords

Kansas

19. Well this is the dash I pulled from my baby Lincoln.
    Doesn't look like a merc one to me.
    [​IMG]

20. fuzzface

fuzzface

Thanks Big Jim for posting more pictures of it from before. I was looking for pictures of it. I actually thought it was the one from lake Mills that was for sale recently for $49,900 with an interior change but it isn't. Lake Mills made since to me since it isn't far from Madison.

Looks like to me us guys that have our own shop and equipment are giving it a higher number.

I see that salvageworld still has it at $2100 but at copart it is at $2400 now.

21. fuzzface

fuzzface

Also noticed that 4 door mentioned in an earlier post that had the $17,900 bin tag is going over the block in Te. tonight and the current bid on that one is $2750

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Is that a '49 or '50? I based my comment on '50 models I have seen for sale which were equipped with the same dash as '50 Mercs. I did not think about the possibility that '49 baby Lincolns had their own dash, different from '49 Mercs..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  23. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Now this I can 100% agree with. Buying a completed car thats needs to be freshened up is probably the most cost effective way to put together a flipper or a keeper and I would much rather do this then fix that wreck.

24. Looks like a pretty nice package.

25. ebfabman

ebfabman

I'm going to revise my guess on the sale price of the wreck from $6500 to $8500. I hope I'm way to high but don't think so. Wonder if there will be a way to tell what the winning bid will be?

26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yes, Be the winning bidder! just kidding:D....;)

27. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

ROFLMAO.....yea but something tells me no one here is bidding on it ;)

Its all ready past what i would have been willing to pay, I will be curious to see what it finally goes for. If it does go past 5K id be surprised to say the least. But hey you never know....
    I used to be in business repairing and buying and selling boats. I would buy boats from insurance companys and bank repos, Things were great until bent boat came along (online auction for damaged boats) People would bid things up to a point where I couldnt make a dime off them, and sometimes bid up to where a undamaged boats would sell. Go figure :confused:

28. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Is the car hobby any different than the boat business?

Neal

29. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Yes. Boats depreciate every year, and need to be kept polished up to get the money out of. Antique cars can sit around and patina for decades and only increase in value. :D Big difference!!

30. cavman

cavman

I think most here will be shocked to see what this finally sells for. Someone out there is just sitting there waiting....with a perfect frt, a good frame or clip, and possibly a rusty Merc body without proper paperwork. Maybe the color of the inside, or the outside of this don't turn him on, no one here has a flat black ride ....right?

Until it actually sells, all the back and forth about it is a moot point. If it's a consignment sale, I hope the guy gets all he can. Like an old shady car dealer in my area used to say "There's an ass for every seat" Maybe a sucker in this case.

It's fun reading this post tho...