Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking at Buying a Wrecked 50 Merc...How High Would You Go ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellerlj, Jan 6, 2014.

1. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Get the original owner on here to tell us more about the damages on the car..

2. ...and then hit a tree or something.

Just noticed the tilt column, could you put that in an old Merc or could it have a swapped frame like mine?

3. I made a Mistake on what he hit it was a DEifferent Merc that hit a Dear
    the Red Merc in the Pic on this Board Hit another Car
    I just got the Call from my Freind
    Just my 3.5 cents

4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

still $2100, but there's a much nicer 50 Merc sedan on there, buy it now - $17,900

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

6. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

It may just be me but I would 10 to 1 rather have that 4 door for 7k than that wrecked 2 door for 5k, or 2k either for that matter but like I said I dont know much about mercs.
    I think I personally like the 4 door mercs as well as the 2 door ones If not looking at one from a money standpoint, Thats saying if 2dr v/s 4dr makes that much of a diffrence moneywise on the mercs like everything else.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

9. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Im sure your not alone, that is a very nice looking car and doesnt need alot of work. I would leave it alone and just drive it if it were mine. But I enjoy building so i would go for the 49 merc on c/l first, especially since I have the engine and trans sitting here for it....

10. metalman

metalman

I realize this thread has a LOT of opinions but I'll add mine anyway. Looking close at the first pic blown up as much as you can I don't think it has a front subframe clip, looks like a mangled stock frame horn and stock style suspension. I also don't see all the "serious" damage everyone is refering to. Looks to me the front sheetmetal ripped off the frame and of coursed buckeled badly when it did which would be normal, these cars didn't have much strenth in the sheetmetal. Sure, some frame / suspension damage but mostly to the right front. To me, the motor looks to be sitting pretty much where it's suppose to so I wouldn't be surprised if the drivetrain was fine. My guess (just judging from pic, not seeing it in person) is a couple hours on a frame machine, a front seetmetal clip and suspension parts, radiator and such and it would be good to go.
    I think a lot of people just are not realising this is an old car that is WAY different then late models. It takes a MUCH harder hit in a new car to look as bad as this. Pull the bent sheetmetal off and I'll bet it's not that bad.
    Personally the shaved drip rail scares me more, I'd be much more concerned its a patched up rust bucket and/ or bondo baby.
    Definatally looks to be a 80's, early 90's build by the style, components used. I do hope the owner or passengers wasn't hurt badly but if he collected 39K from the insurance for a 20 year old so-so and dated custom his wallet didn't get hurt! He could of never sold it for that much. My bet it sells for 3500 to 5000 tops.

11. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

News Flash!!....For those dreamers who think this car will sell for anyless than 8-12K keep on dreaming.....
    This is a flippers gravy fix. Glass is good, interior is good etc. All it needs is a undesirable 4dr donor car and about 80-100 man hours and this car is back to a 30K+ car. And there are a ton of guys watching this with money and the man power to make it happen. I watch coparts auctions all the time on stuff like this and they normally get bid way up there.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  12. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

It is this very reason that It most likely is not a rust bucket, As insurance companys are not dumb, And if he collected 39K then it would have had to be appraised for that amount for them to ever cover for that much.

13. buckd

buckd

Grundys and Haggertys both write policies at an agreed amount with no appraisal. Basically what you think it's worth.. BUCKD

14. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

man, thats just too funny... the insurance company bailed out, do you think they are in business to lose money??

15. $30K+ car sounds good to me, then it was putting all that money in my car. :)

16. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Wasn't a bad lookin car before it was hit. Sorry couldn't find any pix of it without water marks. Says the pix were taken Sept 16 2012.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. metalman

metalman

I'm not saying it is a rust bucket but I do know like Buckd said, as long as you pay the premium you can insure yor classic for about any price you want.
    I'm actually surprised it totaled, that would mean the insurance appraised the damage at around 30k or more and I'm not seeing that. I'd sure be willing to repair that car to pre wreck condition for 30K!
    If it is a rust bucket it will show up more on this auction with the sell price, most builders aren't dumb either!

18. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

They sure do write polices on agreed value all the time, (read the fine print of the contract you are entering into) When something happens, They don't just hand you a check....

19. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Engine bay. Sorry I'm not seeing a $30K car here. Cheap spectrum radiator hose covers, no name cheap valve covers. Nice car but....Though I'm no expert (at all) I know I wouldn't give $30k for it pre wreck.

[​IMG]

20. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Nope. Just ask Hotturkey. That poor guy got screwed.

21. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

it is Not worth 30K of my money either, But I have been to many mecum auctions and seen less bring more. Also based on the insurance payoff someone thinks it is worth big money,

22. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I was a body shop estimator for a few years, I see some things in the pictures that with out seeing first hand have me concerned. But lets just go off other peoples input.. Say 100 hours shop time at 55.00 an hour, well thats $5,500.00, now donor car 3K, materials $1,500.00 and purchase price of ??? plus all the stuff you need to fix the stupid stuff...Yea umm, Id rather start from scratch.......Funny thing is they guys that put a high price tag on things are the ones trying to sell parts off... Imagine that....:rolleyes:

23. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Agreed.

24. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Ok point taken, Now lets talk about starting from scratch. Find buildable 2dr 50 merc $3-6K, fix floors, rust, dents, driveline, wheels tires, glass, interior, chrome, whole paint job, wiring, And about 100 other things I am forgeting to mention. Now we are at about 500 to only god knows how many man hours....LOL...... Not to mention all the cost of parts and materials.....

Naaahhh!!......I think I would rather fix this one quick and sell it and go buy what I really want......LOL

25. metalman

metalman

Yeah, this is what has me confussed. No matter what the car was really worth, even if the frame is worse then I'm seeing and it needs a frame swap, I'm not seeing 30K worth of damage here so how did it total if in fact the insurance settled for 39K? Isn't the general rule the vehical totals if repair estimates reach 75% of vehical worth?
    Makes me wonder if it was the other party's insurance and they ponied up the 39K to make it all go away and eleminate any future litagation for injury, ect. I know that happens in some cases.

26. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fact that it does not have a salvage title makes it sound more like an owner consignment, not an insurance total. In that case it is the owner, not Copart, that provides pre damage cash value and repair costs which might explain the high numbers.

27. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Where is this shop? Mexico? No shop around here at that price.

28. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

One other thing, there are alot more pics of this car on coparts site. The damage does not look too concerning (to me anyhow) I would most likely clip the frame. If the frame is "Zd" I would pull it first then straighten enough of it in front of the cowl for the new frame splice So as not to have to remove the body. Pull and fix any damage done to the cowl. And change front sheetmetal and match paint.

29. metalman

metalman

Hmmm, no salvage title, I missed that. You might be right, it might not be Copart, or better yet an insurance company providing the numbers. Owner provided numbers, particularlly on "value" mean nothing.

30. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

did you not see the 49 merc on C/L i posted?? There are better deals out there if your patient. This isnt about making a quick buck to me, but about building a nice car to stand the test of time...
    Young bull looking at a herd of heffers "Im going to run down there and nail that one" Old bull " Lets walk down and nail them all"
    Its up to 80% value now.... 30K cars arent selling all that well any more. Market sucks!! It needs to be in the 20K range to sell, and at that there are alot of nice cars available....