Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new project...Survivor channeled Deuce Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thequietwon, Aug 5, 2013.

1. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

the way I see this car is that the original builder channeled it the way he did to save it so it could be unchanneled and restored to original. that must have taken some thought about the future with as little damage to the body as possible. good move to follow the plan.

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Looking MUCH better already. Still has the goofy fenders though. :p

3. thequietwon

thequietwon

There sure is a shortage of "ugly" kustom blowhards that are willing to step up and try to buy such a piece of "history". Still NO ONE has contacted me whatsoever wanting to save this car from her horrible fate. I did receive one message from someone wanting to unchannel it as well. Don't worry, it won't be pushed off the cliff..

James D;9162011]Funny that whenever an old "ugly" (to some peoples way of thinking) kustom shows up on here, there´s never a shortage of people saying it should be changed/scrapped/pushed off a cliff.[/QUOTE]

4. thequietwon

thequietwon

This is starting to get a little old. I wrestled with this decision for awhile. No one else obviously wanted the car, since NOT ONE PERSON has inquired about it. Since no one has volunteered to stop this tragedy, I was starting to think that I might at least offer up (give?) all the shit that I am pulling off of her to an "east coast" fan. I even had one in mind. But after reading a "Y2K highboy" comment in another thread obviously referring to me, I think I might ask another question...

Should I burn the shit I pull off of it, or just put it in a pile & drive over it with my truck?;)

metlmunchr and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  5. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Ill buy all the stuff you pull off.... The fenders and bumpers anyway...if i had the money I would buy the car... But I am in over my head with my own projects... You are lucky to have that car! I am sure you will do well with it... Goofy as it was it was pretty neat!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just enjoy following build threads, car was channled, now it's not, have you picked an "as built" year, what engine do you plan on using? Bob

7. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Channeled roadsters can be done quite tastefully. Some I could not conceive of ever changing. Some must feel humiliated by what has been done to them in the name of "fashion of the era". The Lamasa '32 is a perfect example of a rather deeply channeled '32, with nerfs and cycle fenders. I can't think of a more perfectly proportioned channeled roadster, I have admired it for decades and could not think of a way to improve it. The Khougaz is admired by most but while I don't personally find it appealing I would never want to change it. Bill Neumann's '31 although too deeply channeled for my taste is a car that I grew up with. Bill wrote for Car Craft and later Motor Trend I think. I looked at the features he wrote and his car before I could read and his car was/is in my opinion the quintessential East Coast style roadster, and once again I would never want to change it. That poor blue thing on the other hand needs help. When I showed the pictures to my wife of 40 years (yea she has seen some Hot Rods), she exclaimed "What is that?" I explained it was a Deuce roadster. She replied, "Oh no that looks like a cartoon car", yes a caricature of a Hot Rod. Channeled or Hi-Boy it needs to be proportioned correctly. I think it is in better hands now than the one who last modified it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  8. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I'm glad your building your new roadster the way that you see fit. So many opinions on this here HAMB. Its kinda funny how many folks get themselves so worked up from behind their keyboards. I like the direction your going. Looks Killer. Keep pissing people off:D
    [​IMG]

9. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

10. thequietwon

thequietwon

Guys...
    I just listed a bunch of the original east coast stuff I have removed from my roadster on the classifieds. I have no use for it now, and I really hope that some of you guys may have a use for it. For the really passionate ones that really dig this look, here is your chance to get some real deal stuff. I am going to Hershey this year, so I can bring it up with me. If you see some other funky stuff in the pics you may be interested in, let me know.
    Don't feel bad for the roadster, she is well on her way to a new beginning...
    Sam

11. I was wondering how this was going. Glad you´re getting there. Any new pics?

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Would love to see some pictures of the progress you have made.

13. hotrod36

hotrod36

To be honest, its your car and you personally should do as you feel fit. I saw in it Louisvile and thought it had a ton of potential but i agree with you, it needed to be un-channeled.
    I also am fortunate enough to have recently bought a original 32 Ford roadster. It also was a channeled car. I posted a thread about it, and also had to listen to other peoples (good and bad) opinions. You got to love how people will tell you how to build your car. Anyways your roadster looks way better now than it did when you bought it in my opinion. All the best...

14. Sam,,big improvement,,now those fenders... HRP

15. thequietwon

thequietwon

Well...
    Not a whole lot of progress lately. I got sidetracked when I came across a super nice 34 3w that was on her way to street rod hell. I couldn't pass it up, so I brought her home. I officially now have WAY too many projects...
    I plan on having the roadster done by spring. I've bought tires, blasted wheels, drilled backing plates, and cleaned up some nastiness on the frame. Now, I am trying to decide if I am going to keep the rear frame Z or not. I am kind off leaning towards keeping it, trying to preserve some of it's early build.
    Plus, I am thinking I want this one really low...leaning towards a late 50's look. Think something similar to Bass's Texas Playboy, but a couple of inches lower and a lot less refined.
    Will post pics soon...

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

You should channel it...

;)

17. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

As a person who primarily restores cars, I find this debate hilarious. If everyone wants history, then restore your cars back to stock. If I owned, I wouldn't stop with raising the body, I'd have a flathead, wire wheels, stock height, etc...

I'm really amused by Ryan, who was advocating keeping the car exactly as purchased. He had a nice original 39 Ford sedan that he slowly modified away from stock, altering the car away from its well preserved history.

I'm not trying to get banned, or even flamed, but I love the irony in this thread.

18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

What's the story on the 34? What do you have planned?

19. thequietwon

thequietwon

Here's a crappy pic...
    Car was chopped 2.5" in 1999. Chassis was built, and then illness overtook the original owner. I was told that the car has been in storage for the last several years. Hidden hinges were installed when it was chopped, but it came with the original hinges & all the pieces that had been cut from the doors & body. The car is completely rust free except for a couple of pinholes in the rearmost part of the floor. Even though it wasn't the best time for me to buy another car, I couldn't pass it up.
    I am looking for a nice original frame, and I have already bought a nice original firewall for it. It will be awhile before I can start on it...I am finishing the roadster before I allow myself to work on it...
    Sam

Attached Files:

20. thequietwon

thequietwon

Jamie...
    I saw your roadster stuff and it looks like that was one hell of a good score.I would love to have some of those pieces for my (other) basket case roadster project. If you might want to get rid of anything, feel free to send me a p.m....

21. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

A 34, another roadster, and a another coupe body? You have way too much cool shit!

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think that any of the car's "history" is lost, it just got hidden a bit. For the next 50 years it will be "that old East coat car that got unchanneled.

I'd sure try to match the paint on the frame to the body's paint though.

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Do you know where the car came from? It looks like one that was in the cleveland area about 25 or 30 years ago.

Also come to cleveland for our last cuise in this year and free swap meet.
    Bring your takeoff parts

24. thequietwon

thequietwon

Yes, from what I understand it has been in a Cleveland, TN basement for years. When & where is your show?
    Thanks...
    Sam

25. bondolero

bondolero

Absolutely, its your car, make it enjoyable for you by personalizing it. That's been done with most "survivor" cars throughout the years as they went from owner to owner. You're way ahead of the game by starting with a car basically in good unbutchered condition. Great insight.

26. thequietwon

thequietwon

Finally got to work on the roadster this last weekend. Hopefully will be able to make some real progress in the next little bit. Decided to leave the Z in the rear, went ahead and installed a model a crossmember & T spring in case I decide on a quickchange in the future. Quick pic of it on the ground...
    Sam

Attached Files:

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its looking Good Sam. You have the right ideas.

There was an awful lot of butcher work done in the 1950s and when the trunk is full of frame and cant be used as a trunk, the car loses its 'real car' status and becomes a toy. Hotrods are for driving

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am glad to see that you are working on the car.I talked to some friends of mine about the car they were good friends of the former owner if you had anything you wanted to know or had any of the original stuff off of it you wanted to get rid of I send me a pm and I could see if I could hook you guys up.

29. Looks good Sam,I hope you can make it to the Deuce Run this year. HRP

30. thequietwon

thequietwon

I plan on making it, might be in the 5W though...
    Sam