Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Disaster Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Sep 26, 2011.

1. mechanic58

mechanic58

Looking at the way this engine came apart - I'd guess there was a cyl clearance or ring gap issue in those two cylinders. I have experienced this before with almost identical results as you have posted up here. (I realize this is an old thread, I am just now seeing it) This type of a result from detonation would take much more running time to rear it's head - a clearance issue will cause problems very quickly. Just my $.02

2. speedbump

speedbump

sorry to hear about your eng failure. I too had a similar explosion with my big block 396 chevy mtr. made 4 or 5 easy runs, easy on the timing etc. brought mtr. back to the builder and first thing out of his mouth was i detonated the mtr. after bringing the mtr to another builder for further info. i was told the first builder bored the fly. to much and the walls were very thin.. this caused the fly. to crack allowing water in and hydraulic the mtr. did you sonic test the block after the mach work was done. good luck

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

WTH is the "fly" and how do you bore it too much?

4. mechanic58

mechanic58

lol...I was wondering the same thing.

5. Matt, I haven't touched the car since getting it up and running. I'm pretty sure I won't be out this year racing in the Gasser Racing Series ( http://www.gasserracingseries.com ), might try and have it ready for the Gold Cup with a new chassis hopefully.

6. speedbump

speedbump

i made a type error i was talking about the cylinder bores (cyl ) not (fly) I,M sorry for the error.