Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features New Coker Bias look radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Dec 25, 2013.

1. -C-.

-C-.
    from GERMANY

I´m waiting for the diamondback auburn radial´16inch tire serie. (5.50 to 7.50)
    Does someone know in what Speed Ratio they will be ??!
    They were announced for 2013, but still not out yet.

--

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

I have diamondback for four years rides good look good I think they are great Rog.

3. hudson48

hudson48

I better chime back in seeing I started this bun fight.I noticed after the post and watching the promo video that they aren't available until 2014.

As I said in the introduction any improvement on ride and handling on Aussie roads would be great but I won't outlay up to $1500 over here until I see some testimonials. I want to keep the bias look with wide whites and
    not have to have white knuckles as I drive on some of our roads that are more like goat tracks.

4. -C-.

-C-.
    from GERMANY

What tire size are you running ??? . . .

--

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

The terms "Adhesion" and "bond" are used by us in reference to our vulcanization process. A combination of time, temperature, and pressure bonds or adheres permanently the uncured rubber to the tire's sidewall. Technically speaking, our finished product comes from the same process that other company's finished products come from: Vulcanization. We, however, have the luxury and flexibility to use just about any tire brand, and we can work with just about any tire size, available on the market.

Our knowledge of this particular process goes back to the pre WWII era. I am the fourth generation of my family to be in the tire business. I guess it is safe to say I have rubber flowing in my veins.

I hope this helps. And I am sorry for the delayed response and for the rather short explanation.

Thanks,
    Tab Chapman

6. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I'm shocked it took someone this long to come up with these.

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

DBTires,
    when can we expect to see the Auburn Deluxe radials available?

[​IMG]

8. hudson48

hudson48

Coker 5.60 X 15 and L78 X 15.

9. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

We expect to have inventory in spring or early summer. What size/sizes are you interested in?

10. alchemy

alchemy

A 500x16 and a 700 or 750x16. Maybe do a 450x16 for the highboys too.

11. gtowagon

gtowagon

5.60 15 and 8.20 15

12. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Regarding Diamond Back tires and Cokers.

We ran a set of Diamond Backs on our TBird, they were awesome tires. The car ran smooth and quiet, the white walls looked great for what our goal was, but they didn't look remotely bias ply, which really wasn't what I was after. They never yellowed, pealed, checked etc. over the 5 years we had the car.

I am running Coker bias plys on our Model A. The black wall set didn't give me any problems, they ran fine. This new set of white wall bias plys aren't driveable over 65 mph. One tire hops so bad up front I am sure I can see daylight under the tire..... I am looking for a place to have them shaved so they are round, and I am finally adding shocks to the car. I think it was jumping around so violently it may have broke the headlight lense that side of the car last weekend when I drove it home from welding on the shock mounts. I also need to check, we switched wheels(it's possible the wheels aren't helping either), but when you run the tires on a balancer you can see both Coker's aren't round....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. VintageJosh

VintageJosh
    from Mass

DB Tires, are you setting up at the Auto Fair in Charlotte in April? By chance would you be showing up with examples of the new Auburn Deluxe line? I'm psyched to see that you guys are offering 16" and hope you have great success. I will be looking to get a pair of 6.00X16 this year.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Appearance is a matter of personal taste, but I'm 76, and wore out a lot of bias ply tires in those years. Still remember the flatspots in cold weather with nylon cord, the tendency to "follow the ruts" on worn asphalt roads, and all the other little things that came with the bias ply tires. My roadster was bought by me with a set of Cokers on it, and they seem OK in the limited use I've so far given them since getting the car on the road for test runs that exposed other problems I'm working on. But there's gonna be a lot of soul searching on this choice when I have to replace these tires.
    As for adhesion of the whitewall on DB tires, A friend who, in a moment of over exuberance curbed a front tire on his straight axle Ford, peeled a 2-3" diameter chunk out of the whitewall on a DB tire. But it (the whitewall) remained adhered to the tire sidewall and the white rubber that got peeled out didn't even get down to the black. The chipped out area is still white! Was still on the car when he sold it!

15. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

everyone complaining about the bias cokers being out of round...is this typically w/ the coker firestones or all bias they sell?

...mostly curious

16. alchemy

alchemy

Been driving 16" bias Firestones from Coker for years and they are round.

17. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Wish someone had told my new Firestone front tires that, especially the drivers side tire. The old ones were fine go figure. :mad: Could be the rims, but....

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Vulcanization is a chemical process used to convert rubber into a more durable material. I don't see how it's used to adhere or bond, but I'm also not an expert. If it is, it still means your white wall is ADDED or ATTACHED to a tire and therefore, MAY fail. It may not happen with great regularity, but those failures have been documented in threads on this site. But this thread has turned into a Coker bashing thread, so that may be why the DB failures haven't made it to this thread. Some folks are loyal to a specific brand just because it's cool and that's okay too.

Thanks for answering my question. You guys obviously make great tires, the number of people crowing validates that. But Coker does as well. Like Speedway and a few other merchants, it seems like it's "hip" to downgrade a few specific venders and every one has an opinion. Whether it's based on fact or not. There are guys running around without shocks and bad wheels, complaining about ride quality, so sometimes opinions on tires have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks again. When I get the WWW bug again, Diamondback AND Coker will get looked at. My OWN research will decide which vendor I go with.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Looking for 600x16 and 750x16 Blackwalls (pair of each)

k

20. -C-.

-C-.
    from GERMANY

The new coker line offers now 5.60 x 15 and to me they look great to me.
    I dont know the weight, specially on the front axle of your Hudson, but you should check this, if you did not this before. ( before you go on Long distance or fast, or both ...)
    L78 is a big tire, only a 8.20x15 comes a bit close from the new radial tires in bia ply sizes.

We run in Germany on some rides in trouble with the 5.60x15 tires, ( 5.50x16 too) because they would have not the right weight Ratio for some small block hot rods and customs. On big blocks, it looks real bad.
    We have a tuff technical inspection (Tüv) before we can Register our cars, they check weight ration & Speed index of the tires.

--

21. hudson48

hudson48

The bias radials I am looking at are for the roadster not the Hudson.

22. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

It seems this thread has gone everywhere from the new tire that Coker has out. I will see if I can get it even farther away.

From my experience with old tires. Old radials fail, old bias tires just keep on going. I would lean toward the bias for the looks and lasting more years, not miles. Radials will give a better ride and more miles. I will be finishing up a ride hopefully in a year or so and I was leaning toward bias. I hesitate to buy radials for something that doesn't get a lot of miles.

As a side note, I have Coker bias on a model A and they are fine. I also have Diamond Backs on a '59 Chrysler and they are also good but they do not look like bias tires. They are also probably over 10 years old. So, are the caps going to depart from the casings before they are wore out? They have a lot of thread left.

Just my ramblings.

Neal

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

6.00-16 and 7.50-16 would be nice

24. I have bias ply tires on my truck.

The Coker bias ply handle and ride fine so that is the route I'm going with the new tires for the sedan,the radials will be history on this car.

I guess it's just my way of thinking but the older cars just look better with the bias ply and I realize that both my Deuces are hot rods.... not European sports cars and don't expect them to ride like a new Cadillac. :D HRP

25. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I run a set of Coker bias ply on my shoebox. For the full-on-period look, you gotta run the Firestones.. But these are pretty damned close. That and they don't follow every dammed line on the freeway. The Cokers are wider than the Firestones, too. I can't run skirts now.

But I love em. Had Cokers on my 59 and now the 50. Wouldn't run any other tire.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Bias plies are better than radials :)

haha.

I'm very curious about the "bias look radials" too. It seems too good to be true.

BRENT likes this.
  27. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Well, Diamondback certainly has our attention, showed a nice shiny picture & ad, now hopefully they are pre-tested... ? Because the HAMB is certainly a " tough " audience for consumer testing of a brand new tire.
    I'm hoping for the best. If anywhere close to expectations, as advertised, they'll sell lots here.
    H.A.M.B. Alliance Discount, & I'm sure there'll be plenty of 'crash test dummies"
    -subscribed & anxiously wait in'

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. -C-.

-C-.
    from GERMANY

Up´s, .. yes.

I would go for 16inch wheels & tires.

More traditional look, drives better and more tires are on the marked in 16 inch

Cokers drive and look good, blackwall or whitewall like 5.50 (6.00) and 7.50 are great.
    I like the radials with bias ply look, but when it Comes to Performance, the excelsiors are great.
    --The Deuce Roadster-- with 6.00/7.50x16 high Speed radials drives a lot better than my Roadster with bias´ ( who are limited to 150Km/h)

The Diamondback Auburn may an alternativ, but there is no tech Information ( load, Speed-Ratio) yet and it will take a wile till they are in the shops ... I think.

Here are some pics from hot rods and different tire sizes.

-

--

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  29. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

Our smallest 16" at this point is a 5.50R16. The 750R16 will not be a problem.

30. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

The 5.60R15 may come a little bit later than other sizes, but by only a few months tops. The L78-15 would be equivalent to an 8.20R15, which is due in here soon.