Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking at Buying a Wrecked 50 Merc...How High Would You Go ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellerlj, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Very valid point.

Please post the outcome. My curiosity is peaked.

In my opinion there are views from a lot of in the know people and some from "know it all types", if you know what I mean;). It comes with the territory. I just want to wish you luck, hope you get it and give it the attention it deserves.

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Given this is a Coparts auction, watch your ass!:eek: I'm guessin you know 'bout the internet fees, P.M. fees, the gate fees, forklift fees, & the member fees?:eek: With a 40K loss figure, I wouldn't expect to score a great deal on this one!

That type of frame damage is very typical of an older vehicle that's been clipped with a later GM modified frame. There's a natural yield point where the join has been made, kinda like a hinge. Sidesway, twist, mash , sag, and even diamond frame damage are all to be expected...............yur basicly bidding on quarters, doors, a deck lid, roof, floor and some glass.

The very best of luck to the high bidder:rolleyes:

3. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

It's ok if there is bondo, as long as it isn't covering rust. More than parts, very buildable. Front clip, frame, drivetrain, and steering column / and wheel

4. ebfabman

ebfabman

My guess $6500

5. I think if you could get it for $2-3K with the plan of replacing the frame and whatever else it would be worth it. That bondo chip above the passenger door signals some junk in there but these cars are super old and there is always crap under the paint unless the prior owner restored it to high standard.

I'm no Merc expert but if someone parted it out and knew where to sell parts they could clear a few thousand. But I think a savvy person would pick it up as long as it's not super bondo'y and put it back together.

Over the years I've come across a lot of Merc guys in IL and WI and one in MN if you needed to source a frame. For example I got my replacement hood and trunk from a car parted out in Decatur IL. Subscribing!

6. amen brother there are threads here where people receive nothing but praise (deservedly so) for building something out of the worst rotted mangled messes this guy might get a killer head start on a merc and nay sayers jump out everywhere. Wish this car was closer to Bama I have a good frame plus pulling equipment

7. cavman

cavman

The fact that the pass door opens and the gap looks as good as it does tells me there is little outer cowl damage. If the floors were full of rust, I think it would have folded up more. I'm thinking it has a frame clip that folded. If I wanted a Merc, and had the time and $$$, I'd say go for it. They all look better when the bent crap gets pulled off. How do I know??? I did this kind of stuff for many years.

Go for it.

8. Squablow

Squablow

Now I'm really interested to see how much this car sells for. I wouldn't doubt it sells for more than my $5K value estimate since it's such a popular car (although at that point, I personally would pass).

Also, I am not seeing the buckle in the roof.

9. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

It also looks to me like the dash is buckled....perhaps by the drivers knee.

10. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Interesting comments! I agree..... my money is that it IS a LINCOLN not a Merc.

I would buy it for the right $$$ if it was right here in my backyard.

Looks like it was a $15k-$25k car before the accident. (depending on quality, etc).

Corner hits are BRUTAL. That car is now a trapezoid.

It IS a parts car for sure. But, it is also worth rebuilding.... From the perspective, that it will a be a COMPLETE teardown to the body shell.

If it were me: I would be a player at $3500 or less. In a bidding war, I might even come up a little and that is based on ME standing there inspecting the car on the spot. It would have to be very clean and worth that much in parts (so I get the body for free) Sight unseen, I would go $2k and not a penny more. Transport is almost a G to the West coast.

As far as I am concerned, I would pry the body off and strip the car. The column, drivetrain (engine down to long block), complete interior, etc, etc... would all go up for sale. The body would need to be checked against factory specs and transplanted onto a nice original frame.

GREAT start to a chopped '50 Merc...errrr Lincoln, I mean Mercon....Uhhhh...Lincury.

BTW: Better check that title if it says "1950 Mercury".

AND..... you better not be superstitious........ that looks like BLOOD on the front seat! From the dent in the dash....the previous owner might not have made it!

11. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Man, you guys are tough on nay sayers.... Ok here is a wrecked car that was customized, needs a frame and some pulling to straighten it out, needs a front clip, may need a trans, radiator, and other items damaged in the accident, would come with a salvage title, has upholstry done, good glass.
    Ok so you buy it, then replace the frame and front end clip. Now you have to re paint it. so you get into re doing the body work (god knows whats there) sand it all back down and re paint it after pulling on the body to get it straight if it needs it. thats no big deal though it has some awsome blue and yellow interior to it (yuck) then onto the engine and trans, hopefully its still good?
    This vehicle is not for the faint of heart, hopefully who every buys it has checked it out first hand, up close and personal. I would love to see it saved, but this isnt something I personally would get involved in and my estimate of value reflects upon this. Those of you that say its worth x amount of dollars are viewing it from a sellers point of view, now dip into your own pockets and tell me what you would really pay for it, not what some one else should pay for it. Then tell me what you would do with it, how much the parts would cost and how much to build it the way you would want it. To me the rusted out starter project seems better from the get go. Not trying to be a smart ass or any thing, its just my point of view.....

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Man, I'll say one thing for you...you don't give up! :D

13. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

LOL no I dont. but there are alot of people buying this car with other peoples money, and they dont want or have a place for the car, but they will tell you what they would pay if they were interested. Is that right?
    Just trying to open some eyes. I could be wrong, but im going to need proof!! :D:D:D

14. metal man

metal man

I agree with A.D.D ^^^. I would have to see it in person, but I would not look at it as just fixing a wreck...but a total car build. It's an ugly, outdated 80's style build, and all that needs fixed too.

The car doesn't scare me at all, I've fixed worse wrecks than that, but I would tear it COMPLETELY down and strip to bare metal. The roof is buckled badly and it clearly needs at least half of a frame (I agree that it is likely bent at a clip joint), but I would rather deal with all that than a whole bunch of rust.

Hopefully it doesn't have a bunch of rust too.

Once the destroyed front clip is out of the way and the body is straightened around and in clean bare steel, it would really start to look like something. I would base the value on a complete body from the nose back that needs a bunch of hours spent on it.

I would say I'd also be in the $3500 range from what I see there.

15. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

you seem on the level, so would you go for this car that has a coat of paint covering a wrecked body, or a rusty unwrecked body that you can see whats there? I know its a tough question to answer, but your building it for yer self. Thats why I need to call you out.....

16. metal man

metal man

That's exactly why I would have to see it in person, with a Mexican creeper and a flashlight. If this car is solid and all I really have to worry about are the crash repairs and changes due to personal taste, I would take it over a rust bucket.

I feel like if a guy that could do all the work himself, he could buy this car at $3,000- $3,500 and be somewhat safe.

What I would really WANT to do before buying is remove the headliner and get a good look at the chop from the inside. Me personally....I would have to have the the rain gutter line back on it too.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Aren't the raingutters shaved on this car? That may be just bad Bondo, and not wreck related. I'm in the buy it, find a front clip and chassis camp. Bob

18. metal man

metal man

Yea, some guys like the shaved gutter look. I do not. My guess is the gutters were kinda rusty, and the builder didn't know how to fix it so they just ground them off and skimmed the area with mud.

19. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

A honest man...(shakes hand) This is what I would like to see of more people....

20. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I'm curious to see what it goes for now...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just a thought, nobody asked if the driver and passengers are ok, or how this wreck occured. Hope everyone is ok and the car was insured to cover the loss. Bob

22. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Damn man, so right....I think alot of us over looked this. I know i did.

23. metal man

metal man

I wondered the same thing, but I think the OP just found it on the auction site and probably doesn't know? I sure hope they are O.K., as there is a big knee dent in the dash and it looks like the tilt column is permanently tilted.

I would love for someone who knows the former owner to chime in and tell us that they are fine.

24. The sad part will probably be somebody with auction fever will bid it to a stupid-high price...

25. I looked really hard at the pics and still don't see the Lincoln tail lights:eek:

26. So why put a Merc dash in it?
    And a Merc hood?

27. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

It could be a Mercury or a Lincoln. Both are nearly identical from the firewall back (other than round tail lights on the lincoln). The customized round taillights are in about the same spot as a stock Lincoln.

You are right about the dash.

As far as the front clip, all Mercury.

Because 1949-1951 Mercuries are so popular (and desireable), I am sure many Baby Lincolns became Mercuries over the years. I know of at least a few.

Damn shame about the car whether it's really a Merc or a Lincoln.

28. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

My opinion is that car will end up being bought and then exported. That's where the money is in salvage.

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The "Baby Lincoln" used the same dash as the Mercury from which it is derived. The Senior Lincoln's had their own dash design.

I see nothing about this car that "suggests" it is a Lincoln. The '49/'50 Lincoln round tri-bar tail lamp was widely used on customs, including Mercs of this style. The taillights are round, but do not appear to be Lincoln lamps, but some round custom unit.

30. This car will auction for far more than the $3,500 some people say they think it's worth.
    Extremely popular/desireable car..doubts? Look how many people have opened and responded to this thread.
    To many, the damage is overwhelming, others..not so much.
    Many talented builders with the vision, fewer build candidates all the time.