Register now to get rid of these ads!

The resurrection of Rusty, the '59 Sport Fury convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big M, Feb 21, 2013.

1. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Does anybody make a spray paint that simulates the gold zinc plating?

2. big M

big M

I believe that Eastwood has something like that available now, I'd check with them to see.

---John

3. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

4. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

looks like you knocked the rust off your nutts. hehehehe

5. White05GT

White05GT
    from NC

6. patman

patman

From the 'Vintage shots from days gone by' thread:

[​IMG]

7. froghawk

froghawk

In voice of Comic Book Guy... "Most Ironic Ad Headline EVER."

8. big M

big M

LOL-Good one!

9. big M

big M

I finally completed the Turnpike Cruiser job for a customer, now my spare time goes back to this.

I installed the exhaust system this last weekend, it was a chore to get everything placed without touching the torsion bars or the X-frame. Last item on the chassis for now will be fitting the trans cooling lines. Easy to route them without the body being in the way.

---John

Attached Files:

10. big M

big M

The rear bumper filler panel was bent and dented in quite a few spots, would take about 8 hours to repair properly, but as luck would have it, I had found an NOS one at a local swap meet for $40. I needed to set the body off the rotisserie at the rear, as it was right in the way of accessing the spot welds on this panel. I used two horses ands carefully set the weight of the body down in the rear.

Attached Files:

11. big M

big M

The spot welds could not be drilled due to the angle, so I used a carbide burr to get at them. Once removed, I cleaned the surface rust and smoothed the surface of the tail panel.

The replacement piece had locator holes for factory fitment, so after drilling holes along the panel for welding, it was simple to clamp the piece in position with the locator holes lined up, and it fit well. This entire job took less than two hours, much better than working with the damaged original.

---John

Attached Files:

12. I still find it hard to believe that you saved this car. Amazing.

13. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I just went through this thread from beginning to end and I am completely amazed at what you have managed to do with this car...I am truly envious of your talent! Subscribed for sure! Cant wait to see what's next!!

14. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

^ what he said!!!

15. DITTO, incredible work John!

16. awesome progress ...

keep up the good work =)

subscribed ..

17. big M

big M

Thank goodness the weather held out for painting, I was concerned that it would either get windy, or cold, but was still with 80 degrees for the high. I reapplied seam sealer to all the necessary areas on the lower body, I didn't want to paint the bottom and then have seam sealer ooze out somewhere afterwards. Next was to paint the underside, in preparation of mounting the body back on its chassis for panel fitment. Came out pretty decent, after using a half gallon of single stage enamel.

Attached Files:

18. big M

big M

After sorting body mount hardware, I placed the pieces in the necessary spots. I had to look at some cars in the yard, as it was not fresh in my mind. I was hoping to have some friends over to assist with lifting the body onto the frame, but one had a sore back, and another did not show. After a bit of thought, I hooked up an engine hoist to the front, and used the back half of the rotisserie to support the rear. By then, Austin had gotten back from Yuba City, and we easily rolled the body over the chassis, and set it in place.

Afterwards, I threaded all the body mount bolts, and tightened them up. Finally, I removed the braces from the doors and quarters.

---John

Attached Files:

19. Compared to where you have been and how much you have done, you are on the home stretch now! ;) Looking great!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. awesome! It all gets less boring when your project starts to look more like a car:D well done!

21. All I can say is, WOW! Your hard work is surely paying off.

22. big M

big M

Minor setback-
    Another restorer of this era Mopar told me the body mounts used on the convertibles were all solid, I had nothing left to judge from, so I checked another car that was untouched. Sure enough, the mounts were all steel 'cups' that mounted between the body and frame.
    After doing some looking at other cars in my junkyard, it turned out that most '57-'59 cars used two of the steel cups at the very front of the body. It took about four hours to retrieve them, but now I had enough to replace the previously installed rubber ones.
    I then proceeded to change the mounts.

Next, I dug out the two doors I had saved, and stripped their contents. I used paint stripper to remove all the paint, there was three layers in some places. There was some pitting in the one lower corner, but no rust out. The other door had an old lead repair that was not finished well, but I was able to bump most of the damage out and get it smooth with a file. Etching primer was then applied.

gathered up a good set of door hinges from a four door car in the yard- these generally will have less wear, as the doors are lighter.
    Next, I removed the paint, and primered them.

I gathered up the front fenders and core support I would be using, hung the doors, and roughly assembled the front group. This was solely for the purpose of checking body alignment.

Attached Files:

23. big M

big M

Mount cups-

Attached Files:

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Starting to look like a car again.

25. elba

elba

Great work !!!!
    You might want to get a spare torsion rod. I remember the early one were prone to breaking.

26. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

So they mounted the bodies direct to the frame with no rubber as on a fixed roof car? Wow....

27. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

You sir, are a metal magician!
    I don't think I have ever been more impressed!
    KK

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My 55 ford convertible does not have rubber mounts either.

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

wow shes really looking like a car again!